A quick look at Tulane (hoops tomorrow)

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Tulane is 6-1. Schedule has been very, very weak. Strongest opponent thus far was Bradley, who they lost to 80-77 on a neutral court.

Best win is over Cal. Yes, that's a power six school but Cal has been very weak.

Strengths:
  • Top five team in terms of tempo. They want it to be a fast-paced game.
  • Very good shooting team, 5th in the country at 53%. Cross is 63%, Holloway 58%. Cross was in a boot for their last game. Not sure of his status for tomorrow. He's their leading scorer.
  • #1 in the country in free throws made per game and 21st in FT %. Need to keep them off the line.
  • Also #1 in the country in 2 pt FG%. I guess the fast tempo leads to a lot of layups and dunks? Transition D and protecting the rim in the half court would seem to be important. Got to watch the backcuts and screens too.
  • Top 20 in the country in turnovers forced and turnover margin. We've been turning it over waaaaaay too much. Would love to see us take better care of the ball tomorrow.

Weaknesses:
  • Bad rebounding team. Dead last in the country in offensive rebounds per game, but when you make 53% of your shots, opportunities are limited. Middle of the pack in defensive rebounding but still near the bottom on rebound margin.
  • They are not very good from three but they know it. 258th in three point %, but 311th in attempt per game. At the other end of the spectrum you have us. We are 303rd in the country in 3 pt percentage but an unfathomable 41st in attempts.
  • Not much depth. Basically a 6 man rotation, maybe 7. If Cross can't go it'll mostly be 6 guys it appears. Maybe we do a two-for-one trade and give them two rebounders for one shooter?

Reactions: She Mate Me

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I can’t believe our basketball program is what determines what our entire athletic department and other sports teams have to be uniformed in. If we were Duke level them maybe I could understand that, but our basketball program has been not that great for a long time. Maybe Selmon will finally look at everything and do what’s best for the entirety of our athletic programs.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
They did beat their SWAC team. Beat Prairie View 98-77. If we don't beat this team by 20 after these last 2 games, it's gonna be a long season.
It's gonna be a long season any way. We have 3 guys that start or get huge minutes who give us absolutely squat on offense but have the propensity to Jack up wild 3's at the worst times. Jan's style is to score in the low 60's as long as you play good enough defense to hold your opponent in the 50's. Southern scored 60 and State still couldn't beat them. Southern out scored State 12-0 over the last 4:48. State couldn't even make 2 free throws when they were up that probably could have sealed it.
Solid defense is BS if you cannot shoot the ball. Southern had one guy get 29 of their 60. How does State keep making one guy for every team they play look like Michael Jordan? It is boring awful basketball and I see the same crap with this team as every other team. Coaches don't recruit shooters, and when the have one fall in their lap like Hubbard, he is 5' 9" and gets swatted back like a fly when he penetrates.
Better hope State can get the Payman kid from Raymond to sign and probably should sign his Head Coach as an Assistant because Tadlock continues to maintain Raymond at a high level year after year. Dude finished in the Top 5 National HS Coach of the Year last season. He can flat Coach and maintain a program.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Ready for someone to step up and take DJs minutes. He’s wildly inconsistent and kills momentum more often than not

good players eat his lunch

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Just watching us is pretty damn boring. We have no offensive identity at all. Jan’s defensive style will never truly elevate MSU basketball until he embraces some type of offense.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I think more than anything else right now, Jans has got to show that we don't have any locker room issues. That's about the only way I can explain the loss to Southern. If we lose to Tulane there's really no point in projecting anything positive coming from the rest of the season.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
We all know how it will play out. We will trot the same Howland-era players out there that haven’t won a meaningful game their entire careers. Whoever DJ guards will put up 20 to 30pts. 0 for 3 from beyond the arc and 1 for 7 on FGs.

Shaquille Moore will again take the floor with a bad attitude while trash talking the opposing players. It will motivate an otherwise lifeless Tulane team. 0 for 2 from 3. 2 for 10 on FGs.

Tolu will be chilling on the bench like a knot on a log.

we’ve seen it all before , many many times. We know how it plays out with these guys.

we needed a clean break with fresh players just like the Chris beard guy did up the road. They have no remnants of past losing cultures and look like a completely different team.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
We all know how it will play out. We will trot the same Howland-era players out there that haven’t won a meaningful game their entire careers. Whoever DJ guards will put up 20 to 30pts. 0 for 3 from beyond the arc and 1 for 7 on FGs.

Shaquille Moore will again take the floor with a bad attitude while trash talking the opposing players. It will motivate an otherwise lifeless Tulane team. 0 for 2 from 3. 2 for 10 on FGs.

we’ve seen it all before , many many times. We know how it plays out with these guys.

we needed a clean break with fresh players just like the Chris beard guy did up the road. They have no remnants of past losing cultures and look like a completely different team.
I still believe in what Jans is trying to do here, but speaking of the younger guys, he needs to start figuring some things out on the recruiting trail because next year’s class is almost non-existent. We’ve missed out on nearly every kid we offered, and there isn’t much juice with any of the uncommitted kids. It looks like we’ll be once again banking on a big portal haul

patdog

May 28, 2007
I still believe in what Jans is trying to do here, but speaking of the younger guys, he needs to start figuring some things out on the recruiting trail because next year’s class is almost non-existent. We’ve missed out on nearly every kid we offered, and there isn’t much juice with any of the uncommitted kids. It looks like we’ll be once again banking on a big portal haul
I think Jans strategy is to rely on the portal more than recruiting freshmen.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012

1702146022150.gif

TPIPER36

May 19, 2023

This whole post is trash lol.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If you posted some epically stupid takes in this thread and then didn't come back with an immediate...

"I'm a complete idiot who needs to shut my azz up for a week"

post with State up 62-34 at halftime...

17 all the way off. You and your opinions are a pile of steaming feces, and you're not a fan of these teams, you're a narcissist.

Reactions: FormerBully

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
These posters are unbelievable. We have a talented team that will be fighting for a tournament spot. They should have buried Southern, and instead lost their heads in the last 5 minutes of the game. Hopefully that 5 minutes does not define the season.

I went to both the GA. Tech and Tulane games. I still don't understand what we are trying to do offensively, but it works a lot better when the shots fall.

31 assists on 70 made FGs is pretty good. And BTW, we get an All American back at center in a few weeks.

Stop dreaming up locker room problems and just enjoy the games. They are going to lose a few more before the season is over.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login