ACC New Distribution Model

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Main idea is that money collected by the conference for CFP and NCAA basketball tournament appearances are weighted much more heavily towards the schools that actually participate in the CFP and NCAA tournament.

The actual money they get from the ESPN media deal will continue to be distributed evenly. I can't imagine this is anywhere near close enough to keeping the 'gang of 7' happy. It looks like, at most, it's an additional $10 Million for the teams that make the CFP. Looking at ACC teams that have finished the pre-selection week in the top 12 over the past 5 years, that would have been Clemson (2018, 2019, 2020, 2022 ) and Pitt (2021).

I don't know if this will include other bowls, but this feels like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Seems reasonable. Sounds like this probably negotiated enough to at least keep Clemson and FSU at bay for a while (I'm sure they both realize they're fighting a battle with very long odds if they want to try to overturn or circumvent the rights agreement and probably knew from the beginning they wouldn't get everything they were asking for).

Reactions: Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Main idea is that money collected by the conference for CFP and NCAA basketball tournament appearances are weighted much more heavily towards the schools that actually participate in the CFP and NCAA tournament.

The actual money they get from the ESPN media deal will continue to be distributed evenly. I can't imagine this is anywhere near close enough to keeping the 'gang of 7' happy. It looks like, at most, it's an additional $10 Million for the teams that make the CFP. Looking at ACC teams that have finished the pre-selection week in the top 12 over the past 5 years, that would have been Clemson (2018, 2019, 2020, 2022 ) and Pitt (2021).

I don't know if this will include other bowls, but this feels like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Totally agree. Hard to know specifics without the actual dollar amounts being shared. But it can be reasonably inferred that the lion’s share of unequal revenue is going to go to CFP teams. Ain’t gonna be but 1 or 2 of those per year, and there are at least 7 unhappy teams….most of whom are absolutely never going to make even an expanded CFP when it goes to 12 teams.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login