Actual conversation about Will Rogers. No hot takes

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
He’s done some good things this year. But there are some glaring weaknesses in his game that he has to improve if he wants to remain QB1 over his career. His pocket presence is awful. He has got to get much better at that. He has poor footwork in the pocket and it leads to sacks. Will Robertson or someone else challenge him for QB1 next year? What do y’all think?

forestdepth

Feb 20, 2018
I think Will is either at his ceiling or very close to it. Robertson’s offer sheet and hype coming out of high school would tell me he has the capability to be a much better QB, but I haven’t seen him play any at all. I think we’ve got will next year no matter what.

Edit to add: if I were Will, I would invest a few hundred hours working with a technical QB guru over the next few months.

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
He’s a system QB, and nothing more.

He’s done some good things this year. But there are some glaring weaknesses in his game that he has to improve if he wants to remain QB1 over his career. His pocket presence is awful. He has got to get much better at that. He has poor footwork in the pocket and it leads to sacks. Will Robertson or someone else challenge him for QB1 next year? What do y’all think?

Wyatt was drooling over Will’s patience during pregame. When you’re down 4 OL, you 17ing make some adjustments, and he didn’t. And I am 10000% sure he was doing exactly what his toothless coach told him to.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
He goes as his line goes. If he has time he is amazingly accurate. The only real complaint I have with him, and it's a big one, is arm strength. This offense, as much as I hate it, would work much better with a better downfield threat.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I really don’t know what it is. He looks looks incredible at times and then it just all falls apart. I don’t know if it’s play calling or what. You hit on the footwork/awareness and that is pretty obvious. Something I will say is the team doesn’t have great leadership and maybe that’s to be expected of a young team, but when your should be leaders are muffing punts in crucial situations or scuffling with the other team on your sidelines, that’s a problem.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
If Will is QB 1 8 wins will be our ceiling and 5 wins our floor every season. He just can’t stretch the field and struggles to maintain rhythm in the offense. We have like 3 TD’s in our last 20 possessions against two below average defenses.

forestdepth

Feb 20, 2018
I really don’t know what it is. He looks looks incredible at times and then it just all falls apart. I don’t know if it’s play calling or what. You hit on the footwork/awareness and that is pretty obvious. Something I will say is the team doesn’t have great leadership and maybe that’s to be expected of a young team, but when your should be leaders are muffing punts in crucial situations or scuffling with the other team on your sidelines, that’s a problem.

It all comes back to arm strength. He looks awkward in the pocket because he sees open receives but knows his limited arm can’t get it to them so he will hold the ball too long.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Bill Shankly;[URL="tel:2004055" said:
2004055[/URL]]He goes as his line goes. If he has time he is amazingly accurate. The only real complaint I have with him, and it's a big one, is arm strength. This offense, as much as I hate it, would work much better with a better downfield threat.

That you don’t mention his ability to run shows you’re an idiot.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
When **** ain’t working, taking off and running for first downs gets things going. Will doesn’t have this aspect at all.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
If Robertson sticks around for another year shows that he sees an opportunity or reason to stay.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Something I’ve seen from him is that it takes him two quarters to see the field and get in sync with receivers but if they don’t get it by end of second quarter it’s a long game.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Ok, let's be honest then.

Was Will really the problem tonight?

If he was, please be specific in describing how he was the problem.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I will say that Rogers seems to see the field better, and is more decisive and aggressive when his teammates have white helmets on. But then again, it shouldn’t be that big of a difference.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Holding the ball too long not moving the pocket. Behind or off on some throws. He want the only one but he is supposed to be the leader of the offense. Get your receivers and linemen straight if they aren’t

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
So, apparently he got in sync with them at Auburn? Is it really him or is it more likely a receiver problem??

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
He was much better this season than I thought he would be. I don’t think you can ignore the leap he took from year 1 to 2. Now there are times, like tonight, where he’s just off. Maybe that’s who he is or maybe that is just a sophomore in college still figuring things out. I’m certainly not ready to run him out of town but I’m perfectly fine if another QB beats him out for the starting job.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Since God doesn't give a damn about MSU football, I am praying to Dead John Madden that either Robertson or Locke is good enough to take the starting job next year.
Yes, there were a lot of dropped balls and we did not have our starting OL, but lots of bad decisions and bad throws from Will tonite. Got to get a better QB to run this offense. 'cause Leach ain't going nowhere.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
He's a game manager, with limited playmaking ability. But his WRs sucked *** again tonight. They haven't been on the same page the last couple games. He misses too many reads still is the concern I've got more than anything. But nobody on our roster is better anytime soon.

Zildjan

Jul 17, 2014
I’ve never seen a QB “slide” into a one yard loss before tonight.

That was interesting. Just never seen that one.

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
He's a game manager, with limited playmaking ability. But his WRs sucked *** again tonight. They haven't been on the same page the last couple games. He misses too many reads still is the concern I've got more than anything. But nobody on our roster is better anytime soon.

If all of your receivers are on a different page it is possible the QB is on the wrong page.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
If all of your receivers are on a different page it is possible the QB is on the wrong page.

It's both. Things aren't clicking at all. Bad reads are on him. Bad throws are on him. But we had a lot of drops again tonight. Lot of lazy assed routes. Lot of routes with two receivers running together. Next year we'll know exactly what we've got. Personally, I hate this offense.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login