Air

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Please excuse if this has been covered, but Air (the story of Greatness) is easily in the top 5 sports movies ever made. Maybe top 3. It’s a must see if you haven’t already.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I watched it a few weeks ago. I thought it was good but not great. My definition of a great movie is if I’m flipping channels and run across a movie and I stop and watch it even if it’s half over and I’ve already seen it multiple times. Air isn’t in that category.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I liked it too. I’m not sure I’d put it in my top 5 sports movies but it’s very good.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I watched it a few weeks ago. I thought it was good but not great. My definition of a great movie is if I’m flipping channels and run across a movie and I stop and watch it even if it’s half over and I’ve already seen it multiple times. Air isn’t in that category.
But I bet Major League is...

And so is..
christmas vacation GIF by hero0fwar

As well as..
Angry Steve Martin GIF

Along with..
Unimpressed The Big Lebowski GIF by Working Title

And lest we forget about...
jiggle jiggling GIF

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Air was good. I’m recapping Rocky this weekend and just made it through Rocky III. All Time great right there….Air ain’t up there.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
Slight hijack but does it piss anyone else off to find out that season 4 of Jack Ryan (series finale) is being released 2 episodes per week? Oh and there are only 6 episodes. That’s nonsense. I sat down last night ready to binge watch it over the next couple of days only to be disappointed.

Thankfully my life as a State fan has taught me to effectively deal with disappointment.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I loved it too but it’s not cracking my personal top 5
Caddyshack
Major League
Tin Cup
Rocky 4
Bull Durham

That still leaves Longest Yard, Any Given Sunday, The Sandlot, Slap Shot, Hoosiers and Field of Dreams

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Caddyshack
Major League
Tin Cup
Rocky 4
Bull Durham

That still leaves Longest Yard, Any Given Sunday, The Sandlot, Slap Shot, Hoosiers and Field of Dreams
Excellent list but I’d swap Field of Dreams for Rocky and add The Natural to the honorable mentions list.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Excellent list but I’d swap Field of Dreams for Rocky and add The Natural to the honorable mentions list.
Shlt, I forgot about The Natural. That’s in the top 10.
Rocky 4, isn’t a great movie from a Roger Ebert perspective, it’s just any man my age holds that movie in high regard because Rocky beat the Russians. It also is responsible for giving us a great 4th wall joke in Tango and Cash. I hate Danish.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Caddyshack
Major League
Tin Cup
Rocky 4
Bull Durham

Rocky 4 above the other Rocky movies? I liked it, but...

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Loved Air, especially how they used the Jordan character as no one could play Mike. Not in my top 5 but still a great watch.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
You need to post your other 4 so we can judge your taste in sports movies.
After thinking about it 5 is super tough maybe should have gone with top 10.

Ok here goes:

Miracle
Remember the Titans
Field of Dreams
Rudy

other close considerations:

the Natural
For Love of Game
Air/Moneyball
Hoosiers
We are Marshall
Tin Cup
Bull Durham

and several more that I’m surely forgetting.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I’m (sort of) joking. I find it funny how The Last Dance 30 for 30 and Air have been made the past few years. They just happen to coincide with LeBron passing Jordan in the record books and winning more championships

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
I’m (sort of) joking. I find it funny how The Last Dance 30 for 30 and Air have been made the past few years. They just happen to coincide with LeBron passing Jordan in the record books and winning more championships
Gotcha. So you're a Lebron guy. He does not have more championships according to my calculations.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Ok here goes:

Miracle
Remember the Titans
Field of Dreams
Rudy

the Natural
For Love of Game
Air/Moneyball
Hoosiers
We are Marshall
Tin Cup
Bull Durham

Moneyball! Dammit that is close to a top 5 for me. The other one that I want to watch because I haven’t in 30 years is Dead Solid Perfect. I’m curious if it holds up, but Max will not put it on the platform even though HBO owns it.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I must have missed where Rocky ends the Cold War in any of the other Rocky movies. It also has a robot.
It's hard to decide which is more heroic, defeating Drago and turning the Russian crowd (and Gorbachev) into a standing ovation for Rocky and America... or defeating Mr T and Hulk Hogan in the same movie. Tough call.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Caddyshack
Major League
Tin Cup
Rocky 4
Bull Durham

Allow me to add two classics that no one ever mentions:

Victory
Breaking Away

Chariots of Fire is another from that era too that should be seen by every sports movie fan.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Gotcha. So you're a Lebron guy. He does not have more championships according to my calculations.
I worded that wrong but yes. At age 38, Jordan’s Wizards teammates hated him and he was drafting Kwame Brown while missing the playoffs. At age 38, LeBron is making the western conference finals

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
I worded that wrong but yes. At age 38, Jordan’s Wizards teammates hated him and he was drafting Kwame Brown while missing the playoffs. At age 38, LeBron is making the western conference finals
Lebron's longevity is impressive. One of the many reasons he's a top 5 player of all time.

• Haha
Reactions: Fishsqeezer

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
But can we all agree that eating a BLT while watching any sports movie invariably makes the movie better?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Shlt, I forgot about The Natural. That’s in the top 10.
Rocky 4, isn’t a great movie from a Roger Ebert perspective, it’s just any man my age holds that movie in high regard because Rocky beat the Russians. It also is responsible for giving us a great 4th wall joke in Tango and Cash. I hate Danish.
I love all the Rocky movies except Rocky 5. I haven't watched it again since it came out in the 90s.

All the movies listed are great. I just can't pick a top 5 but I have a few more to add.

North Dallas Forty
The Pride of the Yankees
Happy Gilmore
A League of Their Own
Bang the Drum Slowly
Dodgeball
White Men Can't Jump
Friday Night Lights
Slap Shot
Rush
Talladega Nights
Goon

Reactions: Darryl Steight

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009

Ok here goes:

Miracle
Remember the Titans
Field of Dreams
Rudy

the Natural
For Love of Game
Air/Moneyball
Hoosiers
We are Marshall
Tin Cup
Bull Durham

8 Seconds
Sandlot
Friday Night Lights
The Program
Bad News Bears

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Sports movies where they have to use tricks to cover the inability of the actual playing of the sports cannot be in my top 10. So Bull Durham can't make it because Nuke LaLoosh could not break a pane of glass (even though he does in the movie). Tim Robbins is great as the character, but the ability is not there. Rocky would die if he blocked that many punches with his face. Major League Tom Berenger and Corbin Bernsen are a no go. Can't get past Sonny Crockett in Tin Cup.

So my top movies especially since they got the actors who at least looked athletic, in no order:

Field of Dreams
Eight Men Out
Miracle
Ford Vs Ferrari
Hoosiers
Sandlot (Because they were kids and they were not supposed to all be athletic)
Rudy (Again because Rudy was not supposed to be super athletic)
Blue Chips
A League of Their Own (since I am a misogynist and figure that was about as good as girls playing baseball would look)

Movies that cheated by getting actual pros

Little Big League
Eddie
Uncle Drew

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I just watched it. First, I don't really see how it could be considered a 'sports' movie when nobody played any sports during the movie. It was all about how a legendary business deal came together. Also, while I found the story of the deal very interesting it's certainly not a movie that I could see myself watching multiple times.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Air was good. It was not great. It was a really good telling of the Air Jordan story. It's relatable if you grew up in the Converse age like I did. It's just been so long since we've had a decent story written for the screen we are starving for any good movie. Script writing is a joke now. Everything written must pass the social or gender litmus test, or else it doesn't get made. I am hoping that sooner or later, they will get tired of losing money and return to making movies and their characters the way they used to, except I'm sure there will be far fewer comic book movies.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login