AKB… Military question

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Little help fellas. My FIL was a 101st Airborne soldier. 502 PIR, I company. Parachuted into Normandy on June 5. Was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. Now my question… I am trying to find info on the 101st daily maneuvers. For example, I would love to know what his unit was doing on July 3, 1944. Can’t seem to find anything and would appreciate any help. I know he was in Operation Market Garden in Sept. Thanks guys… wish I could ask him but he has passed.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Looks as if your FIL might have served with Donald R Burgett. Burgett wrote a book about his Normandy experiences, “Currahee,” one of my favorite books when I was a lad. Maybe the book might be worthwhile reading (it’s in print).

Reactions: LB99

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Little help fellas. My FIL was a 101st Airborne soldier. 502 PIR, I company. Parachuted into Normandy on June 5. Was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. Now my question… I am trying to find info on the 101st daily maneuvers. For example, I would love to know what his unit was doing on July 3, 1944. Can’t seem to find anything and would appreciate any help. I know he was in Operation Market Garden in Sept. Thanks guys… wish I could ask him but he has passed.

Found this but not sure how to access or search the maps....Library of Congress.

Reactions: LB99 and LionJim

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Found this but not sure how to access or search the maps....Library of Congress.

Thank you…

Metal Mike

Oct 28, 2021
On 26 June 1944 the 101st Airborne Division was ordered to St. Sauveur-le-Vicomet by VIII Corps. The Division would take up a tactical bivouac position generally west of St. Sauveur-le-Vicomet. By 27 June the entire division had closed on the new location. At Noon on the 27th the division was ordered to bivouac at Tallevast (four miles south of Cherbourg) and given the responsibility of defending Cherbourg. On 10 July the Division moved by trucks to an area just back of Utah beach. The Division boarded LSTs and on 10 July the Division was back in England.

Taken from Rendezvous with Destiny A History of the 101st Airborne Division by Rapport and Northwood.

So your Father-in-Law was probably in the area at Tallevast on 3 July 1944. This turned out to be a quite sector while the Division was there.

I also served in the 502d although much later.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login