Alabama about to do things "the right way "

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I know it’s just a Facebook comment, so it shouldn’t rile me up, but here is the first comment:

Remember those teams Croom had at Mississippi St? If this team with as much talent as they have had as much grit as those teams they’d be National Champions.

i think the absolute worst part about the croom era was the way the whole country poor mouthed state while saying how great croom was. It was never his fault, it was always poor little ole state’s fault that we were so bad. And he leaned into that crap too.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Sylvester Croom decided to recruit a QB one time because he liked the way he tackled after throwing an interception.

Also in a tight game in Athens on 4th down we went for it on Georgia’s 40, got it, and then 4 plays later punted from the 30.

…..good times….

Last edited:

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
One thing I appreciated from Herbstreit is that when we finally fired Croom someone suggested Croom should’ve gotten another year, and Herbstreit was like “no, it was time”

Reactions: FormerBully

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Sylvester Croom decided to recruit a QB one time because he liked the way he tackled after throwing an interception.

Also in a tight game in Athens on 4th down we went for it on Georgia’s 40, got it, and then 4 plays later punted from the 30.

…..good times….
We also went for it vs Auburn 4th and 1 from our 40 and punted from their 40 4th and 1. I think it was also Auburn that he ran the last 3 minutes off the clock before half because he was scared to give them the ball back.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
I know it’s just a Facebook comment, so it shouldn’t rile me up, but here is the first comment:

Remember those teams Croom had at Mississippi St? If this team with as much talent as they have had as much grit as those teams they’d be National Champions.

i think the absolute worst part about the croom era was the way the whole country poor mouthed state while saying how great croom was. It was never his fault, it was always poor little ole state’s fault that we were so bad. And he leaned into that crap too.
If they were forced to watch the latech and gatech losses they would sing a different tune

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

The narrative that he was doing everything the right was was so ridiculous. It was an excuse for running a losing program and he lapped it up.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
The narrative that he was doing everything the right was was so ridiculous. It was an excuse for running a losing program and he lapped it up.
Also, roughly half of our defense from 2008 was arrested and kicked out of school before the season. He wasn't doing anything the "right way" any more than anyone else.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I pray we never let Croom back in Starkville. I honestly would take Rick Ray back over him. He did not run a clean program and for some reasons we have fans who think he was a good coach.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We encouraged and enabled that shlt. He probably wouldn't have let it go to his head so much had it not started from inside our own university. Talk about an athletic department with no self-esteem at all, we let people tell us that King Jackie was some sort of evil entity, and we believed it. Funny thing is, I KNEW we were hiring Clownboy Croom as soon as Jackie announced his resignation. All that Alabama crap had just went down, and LT's dubmass was there to pick up the pieces.

Funny thing is, if Croom hadn't had such an ego and let all the politics go to his head, AND had understood his strengths and weaknesses, AND had been held accountable by the AD......I do sometimes wonder if he could have had success. He needed to realize that he had no real X/O strength, but he WAS strong in recruiting and motivating - very similar to Dabo or Orgeron. Had he let go - and hired a good fit at OC like he did at DC, no telling what could have been done.

Of course, we all knew he'd be a failure when we came out in those horrific uniforms. We really had to try hard to 17 up our program as much as we did from 2004-2006. Once Doc started lighting fire under his asss, recruiting did get better.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Crimson is the only color that matters! Rawl Tide!

redneck GIF

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
One thing I appreciated from Herbstreit is that when we finally fired Croom someone suggested Croom should’ve gotten another year, and Herbstreit was like “no, it was time”
I was at the arse whooping that ole miss put on us in Oxford for what would be Croom’s last game. I was openly cheering for ole miss to run the score up. I wanted there to be no doubt what needed to happen.

Ole miss had more points than we had total yards in that game. It was the worst performance I have ever seen

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Based on that guy’s comment, then clearly all they need to do is hire Croom! Let’s see how that works out for them

Reactions: HailStout

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was at the arse whooping that ole miss put on us in Oxford for what would be Croom’s last game. I was openly cheering for ole miss to run the score up. I wanted there to be no doubt what needed to happen.

Ole miss had more points than we had total yards in that game. It was the worst performance I have ever seen
So you were the guy with the infamous “FIRE CROOM NOW” poster?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013

I was there too, and I told my Ole Miss friends that I was so glad they beat us that bad because it ensured no more Croom. They said that was a dumb take and that I was just saying that to avoid the pain of the loss

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022

Before that game, I thought he would get another year. After the game, I was thinking he may get fired. In the post game presser, when Croom said flippantly, "I don't know what happened out there" ....... At that moment, I knew he was fired.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That defines the Croom era for me. Just didn’t have a clue how to coach a football team. It wasn’t even 4 th & long on the punt. Both were 4th & about 3.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
We encouraged and enabled that shlt. He probably wouldn't have let it go to his head so much had it not started from inside our own university. Talk about an athletic department with no self-esteem at all, we let people tell us that King Jackie was some sort of evil entity, and we believed it. Funny thing is, I KNEW we were hiring Clownboy Croom as soon as Jackie announced his resignation. All that Alabama crap had just went down, and LT's dubmass was there to pick up the pieces.

Funny thing is, if Croom hadn't had such an ego and let all the politics go to his head, AND had understood his strengths and weaknesses, AND had been held accountable by the AD......I do sometimes wonder if he could have had success. He needed to realize that he had no real X/O strength, but he WAS strong in recruiting and motivating - very similar to Dabo or Orgeron. Had he let go - and hired a good fit at OC like he did at DC, no telling what could have been done.

Of course, we all knew he'd be a failure when we came out in those horrific uniforms. We really had to try hard to 17 up our program as much as we did from 2004-2006. Once Doc started lighting fire under his asss, recruiting did get better.
He didn’t want the job, but was pressured into taking it. He never was 100% into improving MSU.

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
I remember listening to the game and the post game interview Jack asked Croom what happened with the game and his response was I don't know Jack. Not a truer statement ever made! I knew when he said that he had to be fired because he really didn't know.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Keep that guy away from our program. It looks like he motivated Bama to play like his old MSU teams and it almost got them beat. He’s a terrible coach with an unjustified ego. Other than that I like the guy***

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I will always say we owe Derek Pegues a huge thank you for not going to class during the summer of 2008.

Had he done things the right way he would have played in the La Tech game, we wouldn’t have fumbled two punts and we would’ve won. The team would’ve gone to a bowl and there’s no way we would’ve said damn the torpedos and fired Croom.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login