Alabama OC search...

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
"Thanks but naw I'm not even gunna talk to you about it. Even though it'd get me out of this arm pit of a town and possibly double my current salary".🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
"Thanks but naw I'm not even gunna talk to you about it. Even though it'd get me out of this arm pit of a town and possibly double my current salary".🤦‍♂️
Ole Joe doesn't look like the guy that wants to be told to work 112 hours a week and then be blamed for losing again to Georgia.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
JUST LET iT 17ing BRUN

Fire Trash GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

patdog

May 28, 2007
After a 2-10 season I think I would have gone for Sagan's school of rehabilitation.
Yeah, I'm calling bull**** on that. You can parlay the Alabama OC job into a big time head coaching job. You can't do that with a 2-10 season at Akron. And I'm sure there'd be a nice pay increase too.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
No Mr. Saban I do not want more money and a bridge to a better job in two years. If he really did turn down that offer then he is a bigger moron than any of us could have imagined.

Reactions: patdog

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Probably Germans: If I am a coach out there now and thinking primarily about the "long view" of my career, what is so compelling about these DC/OC positions that would entice me to go?

It seems to open a whole bunch of other questions that I would have that are hard conversations like: 1) "Coach, how long are you planning to continue coaching? 2) Is the a 'coach-in-waiting' opportunity for me? 3) How much latititude will I have to put my philospohies into the schemes?"

If this were average people (like myself), I want to know this before I jumped on board or I'm running the risk of moving on in 2 or 3 years. Also, if that is the case, then I want a premium dollar for the potential inconveniences. The allure of working for Saban and/or Alabama is not where it was 7 years ago and its trending down. And the timing for a quality candidate pool couldn't be much worse than it is now.

It does make for interesting organizational theory and dynamics theatre (if you are into that type of stratetgic planning).

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Probably Germans: If I am a coach out there now and thinking primarily about the "long view" of my career, what is so compelling about these DC/OC positions that would entice me to go?

It seems to open a whole bunch of other questions that I would have that are hard conversations like: 1) "Coach, how long are you planning to continue coaching? 2) Is the a 'coach-in-waiting' opportunity for me? 3) How much latititude will I have to put my philospohies into the schemes?"

If this were average people (like myself), I want to know this before I jumped on board or I'm running the risk of moving on in 2 or 3 years. Also, if that is the case, then I want a premium dollar for the potential inconveniences. The allure of working for Saban and/or Alabama is not where it was 7 years ago and its trending down. And the timing for a quality candidate pool couldn't be much worse than it is now.

It does make for interesting organizational theory and dynamics theatre (if you are into that type of stratetgic planning).

I'm thinking that since assistant coaching positions tend to be transient in nature unless you're on Kirk Ferentz's offensive staff so that questions tend not to be asked and most coaches think of working for Saban to be College Football's finishing school.

Moorhead will be 50 later this year, is currently a head coach (for the third time), and already voluntarily served as a coordinator after being a head coach so I can see him not be interested because it's a 'been there, done that' situation for him and he wouldn't expect Alabama to want to elevate him to head coach.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'm thinking that since assistant coaching positions tend to be transient in nature unless you're on Kirk Ferentz's offensive staff so that questions tend not to be asked and most coaches think of working for Saban to be College Football's finishing school.

Moorhead will be 50 later this year, is currently a head coach (for the third time), and already voluntarily served as a coordinator after being a head coach so I can see him not be interested because 'it's a been there, done that' situation for him and he wouldn't expect Alabama to want to elevate him to head coach.
No debate on the transient nature of the profession -- you are correct. I think the point I'm trying to make is value of the opportunity has diminished to the point where questions that might not have been previously prioritized are now being raised.

(BTW - Didn't JoMo turn it down already and announceed he was staying at Akron?)

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I admire Joe for being comfortable in his own skin if that’s the case. Most people are vain enough to interview with Alabama.

Reactions: onewoof

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, I'm calling bull**** on that. You can parlay the Alabama OC job into a big time head coaching job. You can't do that with a 2-10 season at Akron. And I'm sure there'd be a nice pay increase too.
Well, unfortunately, we probably gave JoeMo enough of a retirement nest egg that he's not worried about it. As ****** of a coach as he was, I do think he was a pretty down to earth guy and he is one I could definitely see enjoying being a multimillionaire in a less stressful environment rather than worrying about becoming a decamillionaire.

Even if he is worried about getting back to the big time as a head coach, I think leaving Akron after a 2-10 season would be a redflag. I think getting them to a winning record this year would go much further towards getting him a head coaching gig at a P5 school. He's already shown that he can be successful as a P5 OC at a blue blood and still be a ****** head coach. Going to Bama and being a good OC to me won't help his resume as much as showing he can actually be a head coach at a G5 level.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Well, unfortunately, we probably gave JoeMo enough of a retirement nest egg that he's not worried about it. As ****** of a coach as he was, I do think he was a pretty down to earth guy and he is one I could definitely see enjoying being a multimillionaire in a less stressful environment rather than worrying about becoming a decamillionaire.

Even if he is worried about getting back to the big time as a head coach, I think leaving Akron after a 2-10 season would be a redflag. I think getting them to a winning record this year would go much further towards getting him a head coaching gig at a P5 school. He's already shown that he can be successful as a P5 OC at a blue blood and still be a ****** head coach. Going to Bama and being a good OC to me won't help his resume as much as showing he can actually be a head coach at a G5 level.
You hit the nail on the head with this post. Several of their losses this year were by small margins <7 pts. In fact, if they had scored 7 more points in 5 games they would have ended up 7-5 (if they won the overtime against Central Michigan). Starting the season against Tennessee and Michigan State was pretty ballsie.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login