Alaska Fishing

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I am thinking about checking halibut off the list early this summer. Have any of y'all been up there? If so, where did you go and who did you fish with?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I am thinking about checking halibut off the list early this summer. Have any of y'all been up there? If so, where did you go and who did you fish with?
If you go, would love a report as I've always wanted to go to AK. When I watch on T.V. though I see an explosion of mosquitoes during the brief summer and wonder how people combat those pesky SOB's. Nothing bettern catching fish then smoking them all spiced up cajun style IMO.

Aug 29, 2004
Halibut fishing is work, not fishing. We went out of Ketchikan. We were salmon fishing but decided to go halibut fishing one day. Over 200' of water with a 2 lb. weight. Get a bite but no hook-up. Reel up 200' to check the bait. We caught our limit, biggest around 50 lbs., so no barn doors.

The whales we saw made the trip worthwhile.

Reactions: Mud84 and mo7888

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’ve never been with this company or any in Alaska, but I met him at a show in Houston. I really want to take my son on a week long fishing trip with this outfit. To make it sports related, there is a video on YouTube of Mark Few (Gonzaga coach) and his son fishing with this outfit.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If you go, would love a report as I've always wanted to go to AK. When I watch on T.V. though I see an explosion of mosquitoes during the brief summer and wonder how people combat those pesky SOB's. Nothing bettern catching fish then smoking them all spiced up cajun style IMO.
The only time I have been was in late June early July a few years ago. We had heard about the mosquitos, but we figured we could buy repellent in Fairbanks, where we started, after we arrived. No sense in risking the cans/bottles leaking all over our clothes in our luggage. When we got there the WHOLE DAMN STATE was OUT of mosquito repellent. I am NOT kidding. They had the shelf space in every store you went in, ALL empty. My family, except for me, is usually bitten up by them. It was reversed up there. I looked like a damn pin cushion. My advice is to take what you need, just in case. The mosquitos up there make the Mississippi ones look like extra small gnats that can't bite. I've never seen anything like them.

• Sad
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The only time I have been was in late June early July a few years ago. We had heard about the mosquitos, but we figured we could buy repellent in Fairbanks, where we started, after we arrived. No sense in risking the cans/bottles leaking all over our clothes in our luggage. When we got there the WHOLE DAMN STATE was OUT of mosquito repellent. I am NOT kidding. They had the shelf space in every store you went in, ALL empty. My family, except for me, is usually bitten up by them. It was reversed up there. I looked like a damn pin cushion. My advice is to take what you need, just in case. The mosquitos up there make the Mississippi ones look like extra small gnats that can't bite. I've never seen anything like them.
Man that sucks dude. That woulda ruined a dream vacation for me. Whenever I watch AK nature shows I'm always fascinated by the growth explosion that takes place there in the summer and one of those is an explosion of skeeters that play a big role feeding the bird explosions that take place and how they keep the caribou populations in check by bothering them so bad at times they have to refrain from sex. If they can bite thru thick fur and caribou hide, I'm sure they can tear a human's as$ up pretty bad.

PreacherDog

Nov 10, 2017
I live in Kodiak, AK. Great Halibut fishing here. Lots of charters available. I am active duty military and we have a bunch of folks with boats as well as morale boats. One guy caught a 195 lb halibut on a morale boat this year. But the 50 lb ones are better meat actually. Summer here is later but the end of May was like spring transition.
Also, we have decent salmon fishing (June-October - Reds early, Pinks in middle, some Kings, Silvers are late). Pacific Cod, Rockfish, Ling Cod are also really good and likely to be caught when fishing for Halibut. The biggest brown bears in the world. Kodiak is a fishing/hunting oasis.
It rains a lot so have good gear.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login