All coaches should take note of this

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
And remember to do it more often

All coaches and parents please watch this. These 50 seconds by Nick Saban will transform these young men for the rest of their life. Coaches and parents make sure you affirm your children/ athletes even in defeat.#RollTide pic.twitter.com/TeL6KDa714— Emmanuel Acho (@EmmanuelAcho) January 11, 2022

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
But Saban blamed injuries!!111!!

Took me a while, but I can't help but admire Saban. It's obvious that his players love, respect, and fear the man. He's truly the best at what he does.

Now that said. 17 him - I hope he retires.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Navigating the years following Bear Bryant's retirement is going to look like a cakewalk for Bama compared to the post-Saban era.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The way he handles recruiting and players is his biggest strength. There is nothing special about his schemes, never has been. Offense or defense. They have very good fundamentals, that's it. His schemes works because they have great players who execute. I would also assume he's got great strength and conditioning too.

He is somehow able to keep all those 5 stars humble and playing without attitude issues.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Navigating the years following Bear Bryant's retirement is going to look like a cakewalk for Bama compared to the post-Saban era.
And God help the poor soul who tries. They aren't going to have a 3-4 year window to win a title with Saban's players like Les Miles did, because the portal may send a bunch of the hired guns elsewhere.

I really hope they hire Dabo, will be funny watching that trainwreck.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Tremendous response...the Socrates in me immediately wondered...

"How many games do you need to see from a player before you form an opinion on how they should be defined?" That probably would have been a death sentence to follow up with that question.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
And remember to do it more often

All coaches and parents please watch this. These 50 seconds by Nick Saban will transform these young men for the rest of their life. Coaches and parents make sure you affirm your children/ athletes even in defeat.#RollTide pic.twitter.com/TeL6KDa714— Emmanuel Acho (@EmmanuelAcho) January 11, 2022

That was truly heart warming. ***

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Never. Stops. Recruiting.

Nick is in the midst of his first full PR campaign to improve his image. Multiple videos of him the last 8 months intentionally trying to show his "kind" side instead of his obsessive compulsive maniac side like Bill Belichick, or his red faced tirades that get caught on fim every game it seems. He has an image problem with recruits.

Yes this was planned and intentional, Nick isn't naive. He knew going into this game they were outmatched significantly. What I am saying is that Nick is doing what he can to improve is "fatherly" image for recruiting purposes, because other coaches and recruits know he cares about one thing and one thing only, winning national championships, any player comes a distant second to that. Whatever it takes to win, whatever advantage he can create legally and not so legally. He and the Athletic department were able to do that over the last 10 years with a few exceptions to LSU, Clemson and Georgia being better at it. They have the best 2 deep players, usually, obviously, and the most NFL ready recruits believe in his football factory.

Now the game has changed and you have programs like Georgia, A&M, LSU and others are dumping millions into recruiting and his advantage he created is less and less. Which is why for the first time, in one year, 2 former assistants beat him. He tells recruits when they go to other schools he is just going to beat them. The great superior illusion he created for years is dwindling and fading fast.

So now whats left. The sweet loving grandfather coach image to sell the moms and dads for recruiting. Its intentional and measured.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He is good at all of it.

He doesn’t have to worry abt schemes Bc he has good assistants and coordinators. And they are good at executing WHATEVER the scheme is they are using.

Recruiting is important
Scheme is important
Execution is important

Great recruiting can over come not great scheme and not great execution but it won’t over come less than average scheme and less than average execution.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
I am no Saban homer, but I do appreciate and respect greatness when it is accomplished correctly. Typically people who are successful don't really care what people think. They are unapologetically themselves and while they may make a few enemies by being that way, the allies they make are far more reliable than to those who try gaining success by working to appease everyone. Those type of people may make more "friends", but the relationships are usually superficial. I believe that Saban is who he is, doesn't over complicate things, builds great relationships with like minded people, mentors those people, and never waivers from his beliefs to impress. I saw in his face when he met Kirby at mid-field that he was truly happy that he won last night. Probably because he cares for the guy he mentored for so many years, but also likely takes pride in seeing someone that he mentored be so successful (to the point of beating him even). I know society, media, and egos say it's all about winning, but sometimes it really isn't everything; or better yet sometimes winning is more than about the game on the field and more about the individual wins that are taking place which lead to greater causes. The way I see it is Saban was going to be a winner in this game either way since without him, Kirby wouldn't be who he is. I think I can confidently say this about Saban since it seems like no one has anything negative to say about his character, and he is among very few leaders that has created such a significant tree of other successful leaders.

With that said, I'm ready for him to retire.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Forget Nick Saban. He wins because he has the absolute best talent assembled on any team every single year he has been there.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Because they know there is another 5 star on the bench ready to take their place is they want to be a Prince Madonna.*
He had to build it, though. He did it at Michigan State without the best players, he built it at LSU at a sleeping giant, and by the time he got to Alabama he had the name cache to go along with his experience, so it pretty much started off great, recruiting wise.

The job he did at LSU is the most commendable, in my opinion. He took them to another level.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login