All you guys who remember the SWC think back then that A&M, Texas, Arkansas and OU would be SEC?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Well OU was in the Big 8 (with Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State). I think that feels a lot less likely than the old SWC guys.

Reactions: GloryDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Well OU was in the Big 8 (with Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State). I think that feels a lot less likely than the old SWC guys.
I know that but who would have thought all that. I worded it wrong in my original post.

Reactions: Dawgg

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Probably would have been better for the Big 8 to be absorbed by the Big 10 and we absorb the SWC. The only reason I understood the Big 8 / SWC merger into the Big 12 was the OU-UT rivalry. I don't believe there were any other ones between the 2 conferences at the time.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I know that but who would have thought all that. I worded it wrong in my original post.
I get what you're saying though... It's really funny to look at those old conferences and how small their footprints really were.

SWC was 2 States (or 1 State and 1 Scholl)
Big 8 was 6 states, but they all bordered (or almost bordered) Kansas
ACC was 4 states, then 5 when FSU joined in 1991
Big Ten was one of the biggest covering 7 states, then 8 when Penn State joined in 1990
SEC was another "big" one covering 7 states, then 9 when SC and Arkansas joined in 1991
Pac was 3, then 4 when added AZ and ASU joined in 1978. At its biggest (2011-2023), it reached 6 (CO and UT). Funny, even in its current state, it's just back to its original footprint, state-wise. Maybe there's hope for them after all***

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I always thought Arkansas should be in the SEC. Just based on geography and demographics, not any particular affinity for the school.

As a kid I thought it would make sense for the better programs from the Big 8 and SWC to merge, and just kick out the other Programs. I thought sports conferences were supposed to have 10 teams, so maybe Texas, A&M, Nebraska, OU, Colorado (which was strong in football back then), and 5 other schools.

When the Big 8 added 4 schools from the SWC, it made sense because the SWC was dying and there was pressure to get to 12 teams and have a championship game. The conference didn't have to steal schools from another big conference, nor were there any extreme travel concerns.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login