Allar reminds me of Collins in '94 so far.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
That team wanted to put up points, Joe as much as i loved the coach, held them back.
The Indiana game cost him ranking in the polls.

Against Kent St. this past week , our offense wouldn't have throw a pass in the second half with Joe at the helm.

Reactions: Calabrin and LB99

pendal1

Sep 1, 2024
Better defense on this team than the 94 team.
Time will tell. That defense had a lot of injuries. I remember we played USC at home and Johnson was their Heisman trophy candidate QB. Well Penn State was up 35-0 at the half and completely mauled the men from Troy on both sides of the ball. Kyle Brady literally caused the USC defensive end to tap out. He was the best blocking tightend I've ever seen.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
We can make a statement by rolling this team. Getting excited. Miss the old days when I would tune into Paterno and his radio show on Thursday around supper time.

Shalom
I agree with your post @Mr. Potter but not the title. Collins and crew had so many drives under 2 minutes that I’m still not sure the media actually understood how lethal that offense was and how efficient Collins truly was in those drives.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
That team wanted to put up points, Joe as much as i loved the coach, held them back.
The Indiana game cost him ranking in the polls.

Against Kent St. this past week , our offense wouldn't have throw a pass in the second half with Joe at the helm.
He may have cost Ki-Jana a Heisman too. Tough to argue with pulling him with a big lead to put in Archie and Pitts, but Salaam benefitted from that to claim the trophy.

Reactions: 1995PSUGrad

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I agree with your post @Mr. Potter but not the title. Collins and crew had so many drives under 2 minutes that I’m still not sure the media actually understood how lethal that offense was and how efficient Collins truly was in those drives.
True and that’s part of the reason why the defense didn’t seem as good. The offense scored so quickly that the defense spent most of the game on the field and they got gassed.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
True and that’s part of the reason why the defense didn’t seem as good. The offense scored so quickly that the defense spent most of the game on the field and they got gassed.
I remember being at PS for a clinic and Ganter was speaking. He said the defense was able to get a turnover and Sandusky came down and told him to take his time scoring so the defense could get some rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: ApexLion and LB99

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
I remember some crazy stat from that year showing that the offense scored on first play after a turnover like 10+ times.

Also I believe all 5 OTs played in the NFL

Omar81

Oct 19, 2021
I think the 94 defense was much better than people remember. The first team defense was pulled as early as the first team offense after PSU built those big leads. We remember the furious offensive comeback against Illinois but may forget that a rare turnover laden start (not the defense) gave Illinois the big lead.
I think the “94 defense was weak” ranks up (down?) there with “Lavar was a freak athlete but not a good linebacker” lore.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
The defense was good in 1994 but they had so many injuries to that unit throughout the year. It also doesn’t help when your offense keeps scoring a td every 50 seconds.

Allar comparison to Collins stops at they were and are, both qbs for psu. Other than that there is no comparison.

Reactions: Ironman2

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
The defense was good in 1994 but they had so many injuries to that unit throughout the year. It also doesn’t help when your offense keeps scoring a td every 50 seconds.

Allar comparison to Collins stops at they were and are, both qbs for psu. Other than that there is no comparison.
Allar isn’t Collins yet but Penn State alternated fullbacks in 1994. All 12 of those players were drafted and/or played in the NFL. The 2024 team and the 1994 team both had WRs but other than that there is no comparison between Collins and Allar’s WRs.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I remember some crazy stat from that year showing that the offense scored on first play after a turnover like 10+ times.

Also I believe all 5 OTs played in the NFL

Allar isn’t Collins yet but Penn State alternated fullbacks in 1994. All 12 of those players were drafted and/or played in the NFL. The 2024 team and the 1994 team both had WRs but other than that there is no comparison between Collins and Allar’s WRs.
Both tight ends also played in the NFL. Also the backup tailback. Didn’t Pitts also get a cup of coffee? That offense was ridiculous.

edit: I don’t know who I was thinking of, but Keith Olsommer did not play in the NFL.

Last edited:

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
Pretty sure all of the following from that offense spent time in the NFL, at least for a cup of coffee:

RB's: Ki-Jana, Mike Archie, Brian Milne, Jon Witman, Stephen Pitts
WR's: Engram, Freddie Scott, Joe Jurevicius
QB's: Collins, Wally Richardson
TE: Brady
OL: Greeley, Hartings, Johnson, Rivera, Ostrowski
K: Conway

So I count 17, with literally every offensive position represented. Wow.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
False. Penn State dropped from 1 to 2 after the week they beat OSU 63-14.
Whenever someone says the IU game cost the NC, the obvious question is "If we beat OSU 63-14, by what score would we have had to beat Indiana by to matter?"

Colorado beating Michigan cost us far more than a 1 score wins over Indiana. Colorado had a lot of 1st place votes when kNU beat them. Had Colorado had one loss.... the equation would have been more in our favor.

Bottom line...Osborn was getting his MNC.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Right now he maybe Clifford. But that is it. Clifford won 2 major bowls and had 2 2 loss seasons. Right now that is the best he could be. Then he has many more to go before we even remotely think he is Collins who is the best we have ever had.

Reactions: Nitt1300

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Whenever someone says the IU game cost the NC, the obvious question is "If we beat OSU 63-14, by what score would we have had to beat Indiana by to matter?"

Colorado beating Michigan cost us far more than a 1 score wins over Indiana. Colorado had a lot of 1st place votes when kNU beat them. Had Colorado had one loss.... the equation would have been more in our favor.

Bottom line...Osborn was getting his MNC.
That and the big ten was so pissed off that a team walks in to the conference and in its second year goes 12-0. First time an undefeated team in the big in 25 years and the first team ever to go 12-0.

psu7113

Oct 6, 2021
I think the 94 defense was much better than people remember. The first team defense was pulled as early as the first team offense after PSU built those big leads. We remember the furious offensive comeback against Illinois but may forget that a rare turnover laden start (not the defense) gave Illinois the big lead.
I think the “94 defense was weak” ranks up (down?) there with “Lavar was a freak athlete but not a good linebacker” lore.
As I recall, I think there was some sort of issue at the team hotel. Power outage or fire alarms or something like that. As a result, the team wasn’t well-rested, had to do more pregame prep at the stadium than normal, ate pizza for a pregame meal, and got off to a very slow start.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
I thought we got f*cked in the a$$ after the indiana game.
The last 6 minutes of that game cost us the NC (IMHO)...

Indiana scored three times in the final 6 minutes 22 seconds, the last coming as time ran out when Dorian Wilkerson scored on a deflected 40-yard pass from backup quarterback Chris Dittoe. Dittoe added a 2-point conversion pass to Ajamu Stoner, creating the smallest margin of victory in Penn State's season

Reactions: BobPSU92

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

Indiana scored three times in the final 6 minutes 22 seconds, the last coming as time ran out when Dorian Wilkerson scored on a deflected 40-yard pass from backup quarterback Chris Dittoe. Dittoe added a 2-point conversion pass to Ajamu Stoner, creating the smallest margin of victory in Penn State's season
And we haven't had a legitimate #1 caliber team since- 30 years and counting.

Psumatt85

Oct 13, 2021
He may have cost Ki-Jana a Heisman too. Tough to argue with pulling him with a big lead to put in Archie and Pitts, but Salaam benefitted from that to claim the trophy.
Salaam was 2002 versus lj. Collin’s and Carter split too many votes

Psumatt85

Oct 13, 2021

Osborne was passing us no matter what. Destined from missing the field goal to whim the orange bowl the year before

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
Osborne was passing us no matter what. Destined from missing the field goal to whim the orange bowl the year before
Yep. Pollsters openly admitted it was political. They wanted Osborne to get a NC, and their rationale was, “Paterno already has two.”

That season was instrumental in the eventual development of a playoff system. There’s no doubt we got absolutely screwed.

Reactions: LionsAndBears

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Salaam was 2002 versus lj. Collin’s and Carter split too many votes
No. Salaam won the Heisman in 1994. Sadly he died in 2016 at the age of 42.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login