Ally Ewing contending in another major

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
After my inevitable jinx, she made 3 bogies, but closed with 3 birdies down the stretch to finish where she started at -2.

Looks like she'll be 5 or so strokes off the lead and need a special day tomorrow and some help to win it.

• Haha
Reactions: MSUDOG24

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
After my inevitable jinx, she made 3 bogies, but closed with 3 birdies down the stretch to finish where she started at -2.

Looks like she'll be 5 or so strokes off the lead and need a special day tomorrow and some help to win it.
Yes you did. Flipped it on and watched for a an hour plus and never saw her. Assumed things hadn't gone well but glad to see she bounced back.

How many that watched thought to themselves, wonder how many of those trees I could ping it off of over 18 holes? Looked like one continuous version of the the 18 "chute" at Augusta. Cool looking course though.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Yes you did. Flipped it on and watched for a an hour plus and never saw her. Assumed things hadn't gone well but glad to see she bounced back.

How many that watched thought to themselves, wonder how many of those trees I could ping it off ofer over 18 holes? Looked like one continuous version of the the 18 "chute" at Augusta. Cool looking course though.

That's part of the reason I was watching. Didn't figure to see her much unless she made a move, but that is a cool course. Huge evergreens all over. Unique.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
That's part of the reason I was watching. Didn't figure to see her much unless she made a move, but that is a cool course. Huge evergreens all over. Unique.
Beautiful course. Pretty meh golf on display. Bless their hearts.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Ally with two early birdies. She's going to make a run at it and will probably get some camera coverage today.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
They just said a solo 5th or better finish by Ally and she makes the US Olympic team. Currently sitting T4 at -3.

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Two of the leaders leaking serious oil and suddenly Ally is T2 at -4.

Problem is the leader Is now -9.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This is one of the very few women's events that pays serious money because of KPMG's involvement. Over $1.5 million to the winner.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
She’s having a very good final day. Finish top 5 she makes the Olympics. She’s fourth at the moment.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Bogied 16 to fall to -3. Yang is going to win it. She's been dominant.

Ally needs to come in even or better to feel good about a Top 5 finish. A birdie would be huge for making the Olympic team (and a lot of money).

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It was the case 20 years ago.

Actually it wasn't. It was changing quickly 20 years ago, but Asian women were rare at the highest levels of women's golf before Se Ri Pak hit the scene in 1998. She was the only South Korean on the LPGA in 1998. Her success made golf a craze in South Korea and it really shows now.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Actually it wasn't. It was changing quickly 20 years ago, but Asian women were rare at the highest levels of women's golf before Se Ri Pak hit the scene in 1998. She was the only South Korean on the LPGA in 1998. Her success made golf a craze in South Korea and it really shows now.
6 of the 32 tournaments in 2004 were won by women of Asian heritage.
I'm really not interested in arguing beyond that. If you don't think that many wins is enough to validate my comment, cool. It's an opinion, so I am happy to accept that you disagree.

The point of my initial post was that it's not like Asian women playing well on the lpga tour is anything new. Whether it's 10 years, 15 years, or 20 years- it's nothing new.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I'm really not interested in arguing beyond that. If you don't think that many wins is enough to validate my comment, cool. It's an opinion, so I am happy to accept that you disagree.

The point of my initial post was that it's not like Asian women playing well on the lpga tour is anything new. Whether it's 10 years, 15 years, or 20 years- it's nothing new.
And 9 were by women of Swedish ancestry. Does that mean that there were a ton of Swedish players in women’s golf in 2004? No it just meant Sorenstam was the goat.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
And 9 were by women of Swedish ancestry. Does that mean that there were a ton of Swedish players in women’s golf in 2004? No it just meant Sorenstam was the goat.
Sure. I think I saw only 1 of the 6 wins was a second win- so 5 unique players of Asian heritage won that year.

2 of the top 5 scoring leaders were of Asian heritage that year.
4 of the top 10 money leaders were of Asian heritage that year.

All that, to me, sure backs up my initial comment. But if you and others feel 20 years is too far back, then cool, let's say 15 years. Or 10 years.
Whatever period of time is acceptable by you or others, my point remains- it's not new.
Complaining that there are too many Asians(robotic?) is not a new complaint for the LPGA tour. It's a well established reality and seems odd to complain about at this point.

This is like complaining that there are too many MLB players of Latino decent. Just say you don't like the sport/game.

It was just meant to be a sarcasterisk comment that pointed out the obvious. Never figured it wasn't a readily accepted view. Genuinely surprised and interesting.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I have no interest in debating either. And I don't disagree with you. I just wouldn't have chosen 20 years ago as the reference. The Asian ascension has been steady for all of the 2000's though.

I don't understand how Asians playing well are robotic to some. Golf is generally a robotic game if you want to play it well. You want to repeat the same movements swing after swing.

After Yang won, all her buddies ran out on the green and showered her with Champagne. She's apparently one of the most liked and respected players on tour by all the players.

Reactions: mstateglfr

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Sure. I think I saw only 1 of the 6 wins was a second win- so 5 unique players of Asian heritage won that year.

2 of the top 5 scoring leaders were of Asian heritage that year.
4 of the top 10 money leaders were of Asian heritage that year.

All that, to me, sure backs up my initial comment. But if you and others feel 20 years is too far back, then cool, let's say 15 years. Or 10 years.
Whatever period of time is acceptable by you or others, my point remains- it's not new.
Complaining that there are too many Asians(robotic?) is not a new complaint for the LPGA tour. It's a well established reality and seems odd to complain about at this point.

This is like complaining that there are too many MLB players of Latino decent. Just say you don't like the sport/game.

It was just meant to be a sarcasterisk comment that pointed out the obvious. Never figured it wasn't a readily accepted view. Genuinely surprised and interesting.
Personally I never liked the game. My point is that a group of players with very little personality that don’t speak English will not draw eyeballs. Tiger did this because he had an explosive game, an effusive personality, and spoke the language. It’s no different than why Asian wrestlers can’t get over despite them being incredible in ring performers.

To your point about Latino players, give me 9 David Ortiz/Pedro Martinez’s over 9 Mike Trouts. Again Pedro and Papi had personalities.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Personally I never liked the game. My point is that a group of players with very little personality that don’t speak English will not draw eyeballs. Tiger did this because he had an explosive game, an effusive personality, and spoke the language. It’s no different than why Asian wrestlers can’t get over despite them being incredible in ring performers.

To your point about Latino players, give me 9 David Ortiz/Pedro Martinez’s over 9 Mike Trouts. Again Pedro and Papi had personalities.

This is kind of a myopic view. The South Korean influx drew massive amounts of eyeballs to the LPGA from South Korea. Apparently the revenue from sales of tv rights to South Korea was huge and kept the tour afloat.

It's a common mistake to think that because you are not familiar with a sport or it's players that others aren't either.

I mean, the truth is this board as a whole couldn't give a **** about even our own player, Ally, being one of the best female golfers in the world for nearly a decade now. It's not about robotic Asians. You just don't care and that's fine. But that's not a reason to be mildly racist about the reason why

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
This is kind of a myopic view. The South Korean influx drew massive amounts of eyeballs to the LPGA from South Korea. Apparently the revenue from sales of tv rights to South Korea was huge and kept the tour afloat.

It's a common mistake to think that because you are not familiar with a sport or it's players that others aren't either.

I mean, the truth is this board as a whole couldn't give a **** about even our own player, Ally, being one of the best female golfers in the world for nearly a decade now. It's not about robotic Asians. You just don't care and that's fine. But that's not a reason to be mildly racist about the reason why
I guess I should have specified SPS eyeballs. Of course a language barrier won’t apply to the huge amount of Asians that may potentially speak the language. It’s not racist to point out that language barriers and different cultures cause gaps in relatability. I mean Charlie Hull is a Brit but give me her ripping cigs up and down the course and I’m all in. I can relate to that. I’ll be honest Spieth, Thomas, Scheffler etc are boring to me as well.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Is there an Actual POLITiCAL discussion regarding Asian Cuties on the LPGA going on instead of focusing on pics of the guilty defendants? Have y'all all lost your 17'in Minds?

I, for one, have been disappointed that Chinese golfer Muni Hee has not played well enough to get consistent starts on the LPGA. I'd really like to watch her swing more...

1-101-8695379.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Anon1704414204
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login