Am I consuming too much news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
View attachment 25280

This just pisses me off. I love all these professions but after what's happened I don't want to ever hear the phrase essential workers again. Name me one person whose family thought their job wasn't essential (besides politicians and lobbyists) and I might feel different.

Am I the ******* for thinking this is bad optics? Call it anything else besides essential workers and I'm good with it. I love that they offer free tickets to all these people and I think they should setup this fund every year but dammit man I hate that phrase.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Let the government define who is essential

And then let the government provide healthcare. How’s that gonna end?

WaterGuy

Aug 31, 2022
Teachers aren’t essential. They proved that when they all went home during the pandemic instead of staying and teaching kids.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
View attachment 25280

This just pisses me off. I love all these professions but after what's happened I don't want to ever hear the phrase essential workers again. Name me one person whose family thought their job wasn't essential (besides politicians and lobbyists) and I might feel different.

Am I the ******* for thinking this is bad optics? Call it anything else besides essential workers and I'm good with it. I love that they offer free tickets to all these people and I think they should setup this fund every year but dammit man I hate that phrase.

Yea, this was a marketing fail. Essential is a bad word if you’re not going to include truck drivers, police and a thousand other jobs. They should have just listed the professions they were including.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Being a veteran I will help my fellow veteran and military when ever I can. Unless you have done it you don't understand. Watch all the movies you want but you will never know.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I can’t imagine even thinking twice about this.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
What percentage of teachers in this country just stopped teaching kids because they decided not to?

birdawg

Aug 13, 2009
It's definitely annoying, but the term refers to essential to the public, not essential to your income

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
You’re a ******* idiot. I don’t know what teachers you’re talking about, but I was on Zoom every day with kids. And have you seen the test scores since kids this ****? Yeah. They suck. Just like your opinions.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think they should've broken into the closed schools and taught rogue classes for all the folks who aren't sheeple and know that the millions dead by COVID number is fabricated to CoUUUNTRoL ARE LIiiIIVVEESS.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Teachers aren’t essential. They proved that when they all went home during the pandemic instead of staying and teaching kids.

Its early, but this is in the running for worst take of the day.

Teachers taught even after schools shut down. Also, schools shutting down was a decision by out governor and state school board. Our very conservative Governor made the decision to close all schools. Teachers werent given the option to stay and continue teaching.
Furthermore, the stats that show some students are behind their age group for education due to being at home, which was an obvious and known risk at the time, helps to highlight how essential teachers actually are.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I quit watching the national news years ago and I’m much happier for it. The news doesn’t exist anymore in this country. It’s all biased propaganda trying to skew the country one way or the other. Who here has ever watched the national news and felt better afterwards. I can’t fix it or control it so why get worked up over it. I watch local news for the weather, sports, and maybe a little local crime but they aren’t trying to sway my way of thinking. Everyone needs to quit watching the crap, you will be a lot happier.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Teachers are essential, just some of them decided to act like they are not.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
There’s bad apples with everything. Not all cops are bad. Not all teachers are bad.
But I put most of the blame on teachers’ unions over teachers themselves.

WaterGuy

Aug 31, 2022
Its early, but this is in the running for worst take of the day.

Teachers taught even after schools shut down. Also, schools shutting down was a decision by out governor and state school board. Our very conservative Governor made the decision to close all schools. Teachers werent given the option to stay and continue teaching.
Furthermore, the stats that show some students are behind their age group for education due to being at home, which was an obvious and known risk at the time, helps to highlight how essential teachers actually are.

My board of directors told me to send some of my staff home. I refused and told them they could fire me if they wanted. I told them we were going to stay open, stay fully staffed, and we were going to serve our customers with better service than anyone in this state. I told them I had a job to do and I was going to do it. When teachers were told to go home, they couldn't get in the car fast enough.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Bingo....I gave up 24hr news networks 4 years ago....

Giving up any and all 24hr news networks has been my greatest reward ever.....State and local news is all I really focus on....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Without non-essential salaries and tax money, suddenly these essential jobs aren't so essential.

It's so moronically stupid to make a distinction like this. That said, I don't care what MSU is doing, they are just trying to do the 'feel-good' thing.

Every job is essential if someone is paying you. We found that out the hard way when we made the declaration that some were not in March 2020. We still haven't recovered and likely won't for another year.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Well most people can’t afford to put their jobs at risk. But moreover if they had stayed they would have been talking to themselves in empty classrooms.

Last edited by a moderator:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I became a very angry person during COVID. Social media combined with how close I was to the COVID situation combined to push me close to the lunatic fringe. After shutting down social media and seeking a good deal of counseling I am a much happier person. I no longer wake up trying to find something to be angry about. It reminds me of when I was a teenager and being even more of an A hole than normal. My mom told me “I can’t help you, happiness is a choice.” Pissed me off royally at the time, but to this day is one of the wisest things I have ever heard.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Congrats on attacking the problem and not being to afraid/prideful to get the help you needed!

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
My board of directors told me to send some of my staff home. I refused and told them they could fire me if they wanted. I told them we were going to stay open, stay fully staffed, and we were going to serve our customers with better service than anyone in this state. I told them I had a job to do and I was going to do it. When teachers were told to go home, they couldn't get in the car fast enough.

Super neat that you refused to listen to some Directors and served customers. Some people work to live and you clearly live to work. Your example is nothing close to teachers though.

The governor of my state shut schools down. There is no 'oh, Ill refuse' to that. Administrators either follow it or are stripped of their license and their district is targeted by the conservative executive and legislative branches of state government and punished by enacting laws which pull funding away from that specific district.
I was very specific with the punishment because that is exactly what happened when a Superintendent defied the Governor's orders(Dept of Ed's orders, I guess).

You also seem to paint an entire profession with a very broad brush. Some teachers probably were happy to get out of the classroom and do very little. Some were probably pretty frustrated though. And many were somewhere in the middle, just like most other workers who went remote.
Knowing teachers and administrators, it is ignorant to claim 'teachers were happy to leave and didnt teach once remote'.

dawglawz

Nov 14, 2012
You know teachers don't make staffing decisions. I don't know why you think your situation and theirs was so similar.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016

I'm married to a teacher and know lots of other ones and they all freaking hated teaching from home. They also had no choice in the matter. It's not like they can break into the building and secretly bus all the kids back in. But trust me we are all impressed with how tough you are.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Giving up any and all 24hr news networks has been my greatest reward ever.....State and local news is all I really focus on....

I dropped all forms of opinion news media after January 6th, 2021, even ones who I agreed with, and have been a lot happier since then. And I’m no less informed on current events, either.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Waterguy should move. The public school teachers in our little town wanted to be in the classroom.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I dropped all forms of opinion news media after January 6th, 2021, even ones who I agreed with, and have been a lot happier since then. And I’m no less informed on current events, either.

Good time to do so. Opinion news media is like O'Doul's- it looks like beer and seems like beer at first, but in reality it is anything but beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login