Amani Larry is back

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And it looks like Nixon is going to sign FA.
Larry makes the infield situation confusing now. Cupp is the true SS but Mershon, Larry and Koehler are the bats.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I would have Larry at 9th and Mershon leading off. Let’s move Dakota to #2 as well.

Good luck getting through:

9) Larry
1) Mershon
2) Dakota
3) Hines
4) Montgomery
5) Highfield

Fingers cross on Montgomery.

ZestyJalapeno

Dec 3, 2021
I would have Larry at 9th and Mershon leading off. Let’s move Dakota to #2 as well.

9) Larry
1) Mershon
2) Dakota
3) Hines
4) Montgomery
5) Highfield

I like Larry leadoff. He had a slump for a few weeks that hurt him but I think he’s the prototype. He led the team in doubles and stolen bases and had 34 BB/17 HBP to 26 strikeouts.

Montgomery will undoubtedly be the 2 hitter. Lem always puts his best guy there like Tanner Allen in ‘21, Ledbetter this year.

Last edited:

ZestyJalapeno

Dec 3, 2021
Larry makes the infield situation confusing now. Cupp is the true SS but Mershon, Larry and Koehler are the bats.
If Cupp is as advertised I could see him in the field with Kohler at DH.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Glad Larry is back but we needed Nixon back even more. That makes our 2024 pitching situation worse than I expected. We will not have the closer I thought we would. Parker is REALLY going to have his work cut out for him. Nixon had the best ERA on the Staff this past season and all early signs pointed to him coming back. :(

Reactions: patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Excellent news. Better to have too many infielders than not enough because you never know when ones bat or glove may tank (Forsythe, Alford)

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Glad Larry is back but we needed Nixon back even more. That makes our 2024 pitching situation worse than I expected. We will not have the closer I thought we would. Parker is REALLY going to have his work cut out for him. Nixon had the best ERA on the Staff this past season and all early signs pointed to him coming back. :(

I think we could end up being ok on the back with Dohm returning plus Simmons and Auger back after what will be almost two years since Tommy John.

I do feel like we have some talented arms who just haven’t developed yet. Curious to see what Parker can do with certain guys.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I like Larry leadoff. He had a slump for a few weeks that hurt him but I think he’s the prototype. He led the team in doubles and stolen bases and had 34 BB/17 HBP to 26 strikeouts.

Montgomery will undoubtedly be the 2 hitter. Lem always puts his best guy there like Tanner Allen in ‘21, Ledbetter this year.
Where would you have Mershon? 9th?

I’m all for Dakota and Montgomery going back and forth for who has the best bat on the team. I just have a lot of faith in Dakota.

These are good problems to have.

ZestyJalapeno

Dec 3, 2021
Where would you have Mershon? 9th?

I’m all for Dakota and Montgomery going back and forth for who has the best bat on the team. I just have a lot of faith in Dakota.

These are good problems to have.
Probably. I like Mershon a lot and think he’ll lead off in 2025 but I think Larry gives you a more complete package right now. Mershon has the hit tool and the approach, but you’d like to see more doubles from him.

Mershon is honestly perfect in the nine hole because he’s going to draw a lot of walks and be pest on the base paths. He’d almost act as a 2nd leadoff hitter.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Larry's got pop. I like him hitting behind one or ideally two good OBP guys.

ZestyJalapeno

Dec 3, 2021
Larry's got pop. I like him hitting behind one or ideally two good OBP guys.
He’s got some, but not enough to be a middle of the order guy. When you’ve got Montgomery, Jordan, and Hines, those are the guys you want as your run producers.

He’s a similar hitter as Rowdey Jordan imo, just not a switch hitter.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Dang it, really wanted Nixon back.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Why did I think he had exhausted his eligibility?
He's old. His freshman season would have been 2020 but I assume it was cancelled wherever he was (juco?). So he I guess he's classified as a 5th year senior.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He’s got some, but not enough to be a middle of the order guy. When you’ve got Montgomery, Jordan, and Hines, those are the guys you want as your run producers.

He’s a similar hitter as Rowdey Jordan imo, just not a switch hitter.
No, he wouldn't be a 4 or 5 hole hitter in this lineup. But he'd be an ideal 2 hitter or maybe a 6/7 hitter. He's a rally extender so you want him up with guys on to keep the train rolling.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Dang it, really wanted Nixon back.
Has someone seen something for sure on him? Usually these guys post about signing(like Cade and KC did) but Aaron hasnt posted much recently other than a few workout things.

From what Ive heard Nixon will follow Larry and come back.

Last edited:

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
I played in a golf tournament in Bossier City this past weekend. Larry was there sporting his Msu gear. I had him hit some golf balls with baseball bat. I have a few videos but Not sure how to load that. He was ripping them tho

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Don’t see what’s confusing about it. If Cupp can be in the ballpark of .250 AVG / .750 OPS, he’s the SS….Mershon to 3B, Larry back at 2nd, whoever is better between Hines and Koehler at 1B with the other at DH.

If Cupp ain’t ready, it’s Mershon at SS, Larry at 2B, Koehler or another newcomer at 3B, probably Hines at 1B.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Don’t see what’s confusing about it. If Cupp can be in the ballpark of .250 AVG / .750 OPS, he’s the SS….Mershon to 3B, Larry back at 2nd, whoever is better between Hines and Koehler at 1B with the other at DH.

If Cupp ain’t ready, it’s Mershon at SS, Larry at 2B, Koehler or another newcomer at 3B, probably Hines at 1B.
Sure. We have all thought of that. But that puts a true 2b at 3b. A guy we recruited to be our 3b at DH or even 1b. And Hines possibly Dh’ing which he doesn’t want to do in a draft year. Not to mention I’m sure we would like Husjak to be the DH. It’s just awkward.
If Koehler is fine DH’ing and Husjak can play OF then it’s not terrible. I just wonder about Mershon at 3b.

But defensively and offensively we were likely better with Mershon at 2b, Cupp at ss and Kohler at 3b if you assume Cupp Is absolutely the ss.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Has someone seen something for sure on him? Usually these guys post about signing(like Cade and KC did) but Aaron hasnt posted much recently other than a few workout things.

From what Ive heard Nixon will follow Larry and come back.

There is a story on Genespage that Nixon has signed. Oh well.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

9) Larry
1) Mershon
2) Dakota
3) Hines
4) Montgomery
5) Highfield

9,1, & 2 on your list is a lot of high quality speed to set the table for the real heavy swingers. Forgot the Memphis transfer's name, but he will likely figure in at 3rd base and also swings a heavy bat. Feels like LSU and others will out bid us on Montgomery.

Reactions: ZestyJalapeno
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login