Amory strong...

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
All I ask is nobody forget all of the other communities impacted by the tornadoes Friday night. They are bringing in engineers to study the damage in Rolling Fork to see if it may have been an EF-5, and pretty much the entire town of Silver City was impacted.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
All I ask is nobody forget all of the other communities impacted by the tornadoes Friday night. They are bringing in engineers to study the damage in Rolling Fork to see if it may have been an EF-5, and pretty much the entire town of Silver City was impacted.
Does it change anything with insurance, disaster declaration/relief or otherwise if it was EF-4 or EF-5 or anything else?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Does it change anything with insurance, disaster declaration/relief or otherwise if it was EF-4 or EF-5 or anything else?
Did not in my case years ago. State Farm was writing me checks long before they figured out if it was 4 or 5. Notable, I heard of some reports from RF of asphalt being displaced. In my case, the assessor said that the fact that they did not find asphalt displaced was the only reason they kept it rated at a 4. Mine ripped sod out of the yard. Not new sod, established lawn. When you get into 4/5 territory anything not built specifically to withstand such, like a tornado shelter, is gone if it gets a direct hit.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Did not in my case years ago. State Farm was writing me checks long before they figured out if it was 4 or 5. Notable, I heard of some reports from RF of asphalt being displaced. In my case, the assessor said that the fact that they did not find asphalt displaced was the only reason they kept it rated at a 4. Mine ripped sod out of the yard. Not new sod, established lawn. When you get into 4/5 territory anything not built specifically to withstand such, like a tornado shelter, is gone if it gets a direct hit.
You should be thankful State Farm was writing you checks. I have family and friends that got the royal screwing treatment during Katrina. Never considered them for an option after that. I had a tree come through the house during Katrina and Alfa served me well. I am currently with Shelter and my agent with them has been great also.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
To second the last post I am very glad you got help from State Farm. I had a similar experience during Katrina where they paid for basically nothing now thank goodness we were able to sustain the loss but I know people that State Farm royally screwed. I would not do business with them in any shape or form after Katrina.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Folks back home in Monroe county unfortunately have learned how to work adapt in those situations. They are resourceful and tough. Coached and played softball on those fields and watched several football games in that stadium. Even when Will Hall was the QB.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You should be thankful State Farm was writing you checks. I have family and friends that got the royal screwing treatment during Katrina. Never considered them for an option after that. I had a tree come through the house during Katrina and Alfa served me well. I am currently with Shelter and my agent with them has been great also.
One thing to note, mine was a wedge that basically destroyed a swath through the neighborhood and lifted. I think that all State Farm did was determine that it was just the right size to cost them more than it was worth to be nit-picky about details, while small enough to not put too big of a dent in their reserves. In other words, it was just cheaper to start writing policy checks than anything else. There was also no argument to be made about flooding(not covered) vs wind damage (covered).

Bottom line, I think that State Farm's response in Katrina and my tornado were the same; whatever best served State Farm.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It’s Tuesday at noon, the tornado hit my house Friday night around 10:30 pm. I have just talked to someone from State Farm who could tell me something other than go online a start a claim. I still havent heard from my local agent. My neighbors Alfa agent was in his yard Saturday morning. I’ll remember this **** when my policies are ready to renew. I’ve had State Farm insurance for over 40 years and have rarely needed it but when I needed them I’ve been sorely disappointed.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It’s Tuesday at noon, the tornado hit my house Friday night around 10:30 pm. I have just talked to someone from State Farm who could tell me something other than go online a start a claim. I still havent heard from my local agent. My neighbors Alfa agent was in his yard Saturday morning. I’ll remember this **** when my policies are ready to renew. I’ve had State Farm insurance for over 40 years and have rarely needed it but when I needed them I’ve been sorely disappointed.
That's terrible. They had a representative walking my neighborhood with a checkbook looking for policy holders. Not easy to find addresses pre-Google maps when most/all of the house is missing as well as the mailbox. I was inside trying to salvage clothes at least. She cut me a 4-figure check on the spot to get me some immediate help and backed that amount out of the final claim. Best of luck to you. It's a stressful time, even in the best of circumstances. I hope you have a great support system around you. DM me if you need anything at all. If I can help, I will.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
That's terrible. They had a representative walking my neighborhood with a checkbook looking for policy holders. Not easy to find addresses pre-Google maps when most/all of the house is missing as well as the mailbox. I was inside trying to salvage clothes at least. She cut me a 4-figure check on the spot to get me some immediate help and backed that amount out of the final claim. Best of luck to you. It's a stressful time, even in the best of circumstances. I hope you have a great support system around you. DM me if you need anything at all. If I can help, I will.
Thanks for the offer, we are good. My damage was superficial compared to others. I’m close to a lot of family and I had a half dozen chainsaws going Saturday and Sunday plus a track hoe, a skid steer/grapple , and a tractor going all day Saturday. A buddy came last night and dropped a track hoe off and told me he would need it back any time soon. I’m going to have an epic bonfire in a week or two, if anyone wants to make a Lemonis doll I’ll burn it in effigy for you. My immediate goal is to get a new roof, the rest of the stuff can be cleaned up or fixed over time.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm so glad you guys weren't here. I was monitoring that storm and the radar signature on it was so intense I was afraid it was gonna be much worse. I have family and way too many old friends in Amory. I was very concerned for you guys. I had already seen this storm and tornado demolish Rolling Fork, Silver City, Winona so I was obviously concerned.

IMAGE start 10;55c.pngImage 3-26-23 at 2.28 PM.jpgtweet Amory F4.jpg

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008
Does it really make a difference if it a 5.

Treemydawg

Sep 29, 2013
I am in the roofing business and have been for many years. State Farm insurance has to be the most morally bankrupt, corrupt, crooked assed money robbing insurance company on the face of the earth. I can’t count the customers over the years that have had State Farm and have been royally screwed over by them. I don’t understand how people can knowingly screw other people over like they do and sleep at night.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Does it really make a difference if it a 5.
This is my opinion. It may come off as harsh. I think once they've made it through the storm the people affected want to be able to say they survived an EF-5. The chasers want to say they chased an EF-5. And as far as chasers go, it gives their ego a kick in the nuts when it's rated lower. Mainly because they spent half their livestream video screaming about how this has to be a 5. They just got a 5 on video. The ones affected that are screaming 5 are usually the ones on the very outside of the damage with the lightest winds. The ones that took a direct hit and their entire life's work is strewn for a half mile and wrapped around power poles and trees and have family members in the hospital or morgue don't give a flying **** what it's rated.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This is my opinion. It may come off as harsh. I think once they've made it through the storm the people affected want to be able to say they survived an EF-5. The chasers want to say they chased an EF-5. And as far as chasers go, it gives their ego a kick in the nuts when it's rated lower. Mainly because they spent half their livestream video screaming about how this has to be a 5. They just got a 5 on video. The ones affected that are screaming 5 are usually the ones on the very outside of the damage with the lightest winds. The ones that took a direct hit and their entire life's work is strewn for a half mile and wrapped around power poles and trees and have family members in the hospital or morgue don't give a flying **** what it's rated.
There seem to be several chasers who got caught in the Bear's Cage this time. Was this cell really hard to track in a vehicle or are there getting to be too many chasers?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Why would FEMA want to know what race you are on a disaster relief application? Is the color of your skin pertinent to the situation?

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Not sure the EF rating does anything, but if declared a disaster, that changes a lot. New home mortgages can then be done through SBA, at least up to $200k. Its a bit of a pain up front but the benefit of the interest rate is great. Mine from 2014 is sub 2%.

As for insurance. We had/have Alfa. They paid off on auto's in 3 days and the house in 4-5. A neighbor had Farm Bureau. He might have got his checks a day or 2 sooner than I did. Another neighbor had State Farm. Took them weeks - had to bring in a structural engineer to confirm the house should be totaled and just re-roofed. Heard similar stories as to response of these 3 companies from others in the area.

WestDawg

Aug 24, 2012
Brought supplies to Silver City on Saturday. Was shown around a bit by someone from Humphreys SO….it’s all but gone

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
There seem to be several chasers who got caught in the Bear's Cage this time. Was this cell really hard to track in a vehicle or are there getting to be too many chasers?
Cell was damn easy to track. Stevie Wonder could track this cell. The problem is there are too many people that watch chasers on tv and think that **** is easy I can do that, and you have more experienced chasers trying to get that jaw dropping video to try and sell it. The news outlets aren't happy with video off at a distance. They want that video of it spinning the hood ornament of your car and too many people want that internet cred and are willing to be dumbasses to get it. I'm

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
One thing to note, mine was a wedge that basically destroyed a swath through the neighborhood and lifted. I think that all State Farm did was determine that it was just the right size to cost them more than it was worth to be nit-picky about details, while small enough to not put too big of a dent in their reserves. In other words, it was just cheaper to start writing policy checks than anything else. There was also no argument to be made about flooding(not covered) vs wind damage (covered).

Bottom line, I think that State Farm's response in Katrina and my tornado were the same; whatever best served State Farm.
SF can go 17 themselves!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login