And just like that they vote themselves a pay raise.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That budget surplus has been "burning a hole in their pockets". Expect more frivolous spending to whittle it down.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
They have to go through and survive the next election in order to get it. It doesn't take effect until 2024. Don't like it? Don't vote for them next time.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'll bet a bunch of us would like to be able to vote ourselves a pay raise. Cut taxes, give yourself a raise.

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/04/05/mississippi-governor-officials-salary-pay-raises/

Based on your article, I do not see who 'gave themselves a raise'. In fact, almost half the article is about how legislators did NOT get a raise.
Some lawmakers expressed apprehension about the bill, not because other elected officials were getting a raise, but because legislators were not. “So everybody’s getting a raise except for legislators,” said Sen. Charles Younger, R-Columbus. “I feel like a redheaded stepchild.”
Sen. Sollie Norwood, D-Jackson, said: “Was there any discussion regarding the rationale of a pay raise for legislators not being considered?”
Polk reminded lawmakers that a measure to increase lawmakers’ pay died earlier in the legislative session.

I do not know what the average pay for a state's AG is, but $150,000 does not seem excessive, given the education, experience, and work involved. This is the challenge of any non-profit or public job- they pay less, but in order to attract amnd retain talent you need to at least make the salary kind of competitive.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Those salaries are about 1/3 of what they would get from corps for running the same size budgets and workforce.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Thread's not going the way the OP wanted. Might want to calm down with the angry hot takes.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
At 22K a year only self employed Lawyers and people with money can run for office in Miss. Common working person could never leave there job for a few months. They would have to leave permanently. We are stuck with the same type of people running our state.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Well, actually the only legislator to get a pay raise there is the House Speaker. So assuming he voted for it, that's one out of 174 that voted themselves a pay raise (this time).

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
At 22K a year only self employed Lawyers and people with money can run for office in Miss. Common working person could never leave there job for a few months. They would have to leave permanently. We are stuck with the same type of people running our state.

Texas is the same way. It's only $7,200 a year. The idea is that the legislature is supposed to be made up of "citizen legislators" instead of career politicians, but it ends up having the opposite effect.

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I'll bet a bunch of us would like to be able to vote ourselves a pay raise. Cut taxes, give yourself a raise.

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/04/05/mississippi-governor-officials-salary-pay-raises/

Most heads of state agencies in Mississippi needed a raise. Maybe not all but most. They are paid poorly for what some of them do. Some of the lowest Wages in the country for executive agency heads. And it’s why the state has had problems filling some of those positions with qualified candidates.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014

^^^^^This. Spot on. Until we can pay more, the only people doing it will be those who are already wealthy or who own their own companies and can afford to leave said company for 3 to 4 months. But then you’ve got others who that’s all they do and that’s what they live off of. I don’t think we want to much of either type running this state but that’s what’s happened.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Either pay them well or don't pay them at all. In either case make ANY kind of compensation other than salary, public or private, including campaign fund contributions, illegal.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
According to this, that is the highest paid state executive job in the nation (or at least it was in 2017).

https://ballotpedia.org/Compensation_of_state_executive_officers

I'm guessing that job salary is not commensurate with the state's academic performance.

Actually, we supposedly improved a ton since she was hired. Not sure if the metrics being touted are the be all and end all. THey could be cherry picked or measuring the wrong thing; I don't pay attention enough to know. But we have gotten some press on it. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/opinion/mississippi-schools-naep.html

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Based on your article, I do not see who 'gave themselves a raise'. In fact, almost half the article is about how legislators did NOT get a raise.

I do not know what the average pay for a state's AG is, but $150,000 does not seem excessive, given the education, experience, and work involved. This is the challenge of any non-profit or public job- they pay less, but in order to attract amnd retain talent you need to at least make the salary kind of competitive.

In pretty much any government job, high performers are underpaid and low performers are overpaid. Whether the average performers are under paid or over paid depends on the position and the politics of the state/local government involved.

A big challenge with these top end jobs is that you want really, really smart people doing those jobs, but if you pay commensurately, your just as likely (if not more likely) to get a political hack that's a moron. Public Service Commissioners trying to regulate rates really need to be at least as smart and qualified as some of the best CPAs you know, and also need industry specific knowledge. If you get that, they're worth way more than the $78k they get now and the $95k they will get if this becomes law. But that's generally not what you're going to get. You're usually going to get a legislator looking to pad their PERS numbers or a former small town, career dead ender politician for whom $78k is a step up in pay.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
^^^^^This. Spot on. Until we can pay more, the only people doing it will be those who are already wealthy or who own their own companies and can afford to leave said company for 3 to 4 months. But then you’ve got others who that’s all they do and that’s what they live off of. I don’t think we want to much of either type running this state but that’s what’s happened.
I don't have a problem with it mainly being small business owners or the well off being legislators. The killer ones are the ones who think of being a legislator as a career.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Either pay them well or don't pay them at all. In either case make ANY kind of compensation other than salary, public or private, including campaign fund contributions, illegal.
If you make it illegal to accept campaign contributions, you will really only have rich people or people that are self interested and/or intending to be corrupt run.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
There is not one job listed I would take if offered for the new salary level.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The Governor still makes less than approximately 20 school superintendents. Education Administration is where the easy money is. Mississippi has too much administration and not enough education when it comes to public schools.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
The gist of my post is this: We just made a huge tax cut. Shouldn't we wait and see how our revenues are going to fare before we start giving out pay raises, especially to the legislators? That would, to me, seem to be the prudent and conservative way to proceed.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

Zebrahater

Sep 1, 2017
The article left one line item out of the table.

View attachment 24217
Teachers actually received a decent raise for the first time I can ever remember. My wife received her new contract last week, with an almost $9K raise. If I understand correctly, all teachers in MS will receive at least $5K. My wife received more because of her tenure, masters & she's National Board Certified. It bumped her up to right at $70K per year.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
If you make it illegal to accept campaign contributions, you will really only have rich people or people that are self interested and/or intending to be corrupt run.

Not if enforced correctly. Campaign contributions the main source legal source of corruption and always have been.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Not if enforced correctly. Campaign contributions the main source legal source of corruption and always have been.

^^^^This^^^^
Our legislators have used their "campain funds" as a slush fund to enhance their pay for years because no one tries to regulate it or control it.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Technically the Lieutenant Governor is also the President of the Senate and casts a vote in case of a tie vote. He also totally controls the legislative agenda on the Senate side. Absolutely nothing comes forward for vote without Delbert's authorization.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Teachers actually received a decent raise for the first time I can ever remember. My wife received her new contract last week, with an almost $9K raise. If I understand correctly, all teachers in MS will receive at least $5K. My wife received more because of her tenure, masters & she's National Board Certified. It bumped her up to right at $70K per year.

I'll be damned. Good for you guys, the teachers across the state, and the pols.

That said, still not enough considering her credentials, but it's a nice start. I have been reading about teachers quitting across the country to head to the private sector. I doubt those are all low performers either. I mean, Panda Express will put $75k in your pocket to run a fast food joint...

View attachment 24221

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Don't care why they run. I wouldn't do any of that for that $$$ and I wouldn't go all Feel on pocket lining so it's a no for me dog.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login