And today, Alabama allstars

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
increased their record over the Mississippi high school all stars to 26-11, after beating Mississippi for the fourth consecutive year.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
High school coaching in Alabama is light years ahead of C34 and his cronies

I’ve been here almost 30 years. The OC for our team that won the 22 state championship could coach circles around Barbay.

The fact that south panola got embarrassed by mus on national television the way they did says all you need to know about the Neanderthals coaching high school football in Mississippi

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

I’ve been here almost 30 years. The OC for our team that won the 22 state championship could coach circles around Barbay.

The fact that south panola got embarrassed by mus on national television the way they did says all you need to know about the Neanderthals coaching high school football in Mississippi
^^^^This^^^^ Mississippi has great raw athletes, but the coaching has a lot to be desired, no matter what the sport.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

I laughed my @$$ off at the thought of SloMo rolling into Wayne County/Grenada/Bolivar County/Natchez with his yankee @$$ and offensive savant power point. Like an explorer rolling up on the beach confronted by the natives.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Remember in 2017 when Lance Mancuso was the Mississippi head coach, and we beat Alabama’s *** 42-7. Whem something works why don’t they run it back again with the same crew? It was funny in the second half when we came out running the wing-t and ran it down their throat. Couldn’t stop it.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
In their defense they've been trying to make Highway 82 four lane from Columbus to Tuscaloosa for the last 40 years.
Yep, they were four laning 82 when I was at State in the mid 80’s, still not finished. US 45 is four lane all the way from Chicago to the Alabama state line then you’ve got 50 miles of slow driving, no passing, road rage inducing hell.

Reactions: Dawg84 and 77Dog

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007

This.
Until recently every other coach in Mississippi was running the wishbone or some version.

Was laziness or a significant lack of coaching ability.
Hopefully that is changing some what.....

Reactions: 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

Very true. look at Texas HS, they’ve been running modern offenses for years. we’ve still got power run game troglodytes controlling Miss HS football.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Very true. look at Texas HS, they’ve been running modern offenses for years. we’ve still got power run game troglodytes controlling Miss HS football.
It’s because they win. Winners control, losers complain about winners controlling. We also play good hs defense here in Mississippi.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
The problem in MS is OL coaching. MS has athletes all over the place, but coaching and development is an afterthought with OL. The teams that try to run modern offenses don’t do it well because the OL play is bad. The technique it takes with all the pass sets etc takes time to teach and perfect.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
It’s because they win. Winners control, losers complain about winners controlling. We also play good hs defense here in Mississippi.
Great, you win running the flexbone but it doesn’t translate to college football.

Reactions: patdog

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Alabama doesn't want to finish 82, 45, or 98. It would pull population out of Mobile and Tuscaloosa because it's cheaper land and taxes just over the border.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Great, you win running the flexbone but it doesn’t translate to college football.
You are fighting a losing battle. They have some exceptionally good defensive players in Mississippi, but they when it comes to offense, all they know, is RTGDB! If you try telling them any different, they just tell you to look at their defensive players.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
You are fighting a losing battle. They have some exceptionally good defensive players in Mississippi, but they when it comes to offense, all they know, is RTGDB! If you try telling them any different, they just tell you to look at their defensive players.
Yep, that’s where the aversion to throwing the ball comes from, the Coach34 types think it’s 1970.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
There are schools in the largest divisions that want to throw it. Those are the programs with 8 Assistants and 75 player rosters. The reason South Panola and Wayne County don't dominate football any more is they just pounded the daylights out of people with 2 RBs and a running QB in the old days. They don't get those types of players rolling through those small county like they used to. The weakness on most high school teams on defense is their DBs. Most offenses can't take advantage of that because of poor Oline technique and best athletes at 5 foot 6 inch tall playing QBs who can run fast but can't throw the ball 15 yards. Usually their best players play on the Dline and at linebacker. Heck, look how many QBs in Mississippi also play LB on defense.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There are schools in the largest divisions that want to throw it. Those are the programs with 8 Assistants and 75 player rosters. The reason South Panola and Wayne County don't dominate football any more is they just pounded the daylights out of people with 2 RBs and a running QB in the old days. They don't get those types of players rolling through those small county like they used to. The weakness on most high school teams on defense is their DBs. Most offenses can't take advantage of that because of poor Oline technique and best athletes at 5 foot 6 inch tall playing QBs who can run fast but can't throw the ball 15 yards. Usually their best players play on the Dline and at linebacker. Heck, look how many QBs in Mississippi also play LB on defense.
Not kidding about defense backs. Best pass plays I saw from West Jones games I saw was throw the ball into coverage & get a pass interference penalty, or hit an incredibly wide open receiver for an easy touchdown. In West Jones defense, the QB was a freshman and actually does look like he has potential.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
^^^^This^^^^ Mississippi has great raw athletes, but the coaching has a lot to be desired, no matter what the sport.

Texas HS football is VERY soft on the Line. The one thing Mississippi has over Texas is that the players in Mississippi are still tougher than nails. For example, in Texas HS football, I've never seen an epic goal line stand. Nearly every Mississippi High School and University has one in their historic lore.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Yep, they were four laning 82 when I was at State in the mid 80’s, still not finished. US 45 is four lane all the way from Chicago to the Alabama state line then you’ve got 50 miles of slow driving, no passing, road rage inducing hell.

more than 20 yrs to match the mississippi 98 four lane around the wilmer/semmes armpit

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
First and foremost, Mississippi high school coaches get paid to win. Btw, variations and concepts of the flexbone are in college football. It’s not that one is better than the other in style of offense- texas hs seems more like big12 offensive styles. Mississippi seems more like old school SEC offenses that smash you and impose their will on you. Both can win it’s just a different style. But I will say again that we have better defenses.

Reactions: paindonthurt

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
First and foremost, Mississippi high school coaches get paid to win. Btw, variations and concepts of the flexbone are in college football. It’s not that one is better than the other in style of offense- texas hs seems more like big12 offensive styles. Mississippi seems more like old school SEC offenses that smash you and impose their will on you. Both can win it’s just a different style. But I will say again that we have better defenses.
This is why I yell at the top of my lungs that State should lead with defense. It's been a staple of pretty much all of our best teams. Even 2014, mainly known for Dak, had incredible talent on that side. Mullen knew it. Leach knew it. King Jackie knew it. They all realized we needed our big time playmakers over there. That's where our NIL should be primarily spent.

You can do this a variety of ways. I don't care if we have an offensive or defensive coach, or a recruiter/CEO. As long as they understand the defense gets built first, and that our offense must be weird but yet still simple (again, Jackie/Mullen/Leach), and we will likely need out-of-state/portal help there.

Even moreso going forward. In football, we are based primarily on MS players, both high school and JUCO. That's our advantage, since we have so much talent per capita in those areas. It is what it is.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Alabama should win this game every year as they have nearly double the population to draw on. It's a function of numbers, not style.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Alabama should win this game every year as they have nearly double the population to draw on. It's a function of numbers, not style.
Agree regarding this particular game. But the point is still valid regarding MS coaching. The South Panola example above, in other words.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I laughed my @$$ off at the thought of SloMo rolling into Wayne County/Grenada/Bolivar County/Natchez with his yankee @$$ and offensive savant power point. Like an explorer rolling up on the beach confronted by the natives.
My question is.......is Lebby doing the same thing?

I've already heard that he's an offensive (insert any name here comparable to savant). Strike 1.
I've heard that he's more of a players coach than a disciplinarian, and he butted heads with Venables. Strike 2.

3 checks means.....

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think the Miss vs Alabama all-star game should not be limited to Seniors. Let's put our best against their best regardless of class. I think our top 22 guys in the state could win against their top 22 but when you limit it to seniors only Miss is at a disadvantage.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login