Another domino: ASU and Utah apply for Big 12

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Had to know it was coming after Oregon and Washington. Not sure how Big 12 will handle it though. They could make them sweat it out for dragging their feet.

But hey, either way, commissioner of the year needs to be Brett Yormack. He took a conference that was competing for survival against the freaking American and made them a viable contender that outfought and ate a portion of what was perceived to be a much stronger competitor.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Had to know it was coming after Oregon and Washington. Not sure how Big 12 will handle it though. They could make them sweat it out for dragging their feet.

But hey, either way, commissioner of the year needs to be Brett Yormack. He took a conference that was competing for survival against the freaking American and made them a viable contender that outfought and ate a portion of what was perceived to be a much stronger competitor.

The only question now is will the Big Ten take California & Stanford which looking very unlikely?

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Arizona President Robbins had a press conference today and confirmed the offer the Pac schools were given:
100% subscription based streaming through Apple TV
NO linear options
$23 Million per school

Some other interesting tidbits:
Said the subscription based model was a real sticking point and "going to be like selling candy bars for Little League." Ouch.
Washington or Oregon told him about 10 minutes before they announced on the Pac-12 call that they both were gone to the Big Ten.
He wanted the Pac to absorb the remaining 8 Big 12 teams after Texas and OU announced for the SEC and form the 'Pac-20', but couldn't get traction. This was when his relationship with the Big 12 started.
He's only ever met Brett Yormack once and most of this talks were with the other Big 12 presidents.

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That would probably end up being a fun conference to watch. No overly powerful school. Stanford, Cal, Washington state and Oregon State should hop on that cow wagon. The Big 12 would probably take them all.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That would probably end up being a fun conference to watch. No overly powerful school. Stanford, Cal, Washington state and Oregon State should hop on that cow wagon. The Big 12 would probably take them all.
Wazzou and Oregon State would love to. Stanford and Cal won't, they want the B1G, and they'll likely get it.

Big 12 should pick up Wazzou and Oregon State immediately as they stretch for 20 teams. Those are P5 brands and at least get you in those states. Because I guarantee you, once the ACC gets raided by the SEC in future years, West Virginia, UCF and Cincinnati will get those spots. Big 12 needs to be ready for that.

I'd also be getting chummy with Boise State so you will have that 16th school ready to roll once those defections happen.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I agree, but as Maroon Eagle has stated, I think Stanford (and probably Cal) would go independent over joining the Big 12.

Rumor this morning is that Oregon State and SDSU are in very preliminary talks with the Big 12 and, if accepted, would be taking a reduced a payout. Not sure how credible it is, but the folks tweeting about it have been pretty close on most of the other moves.

This seems kind of credible, at least on the Oregon State side, because:
ESPN has an automatic pro-rata with the Big 12 about adding existing Power 5 schools. Oregon State is still technically a Power 5 school.
ESPN will be completely cut out of the West Coast in 2024 if they don't pick up the rights to one of the remaining Pac-4 schools or MWC schools in some capacity.
While they don't get the ratings to support owning the media rights of an entire conference, ESPN still probably sees money left on the table for late night games.
Fox is probably not going to pay the Big 12 for any of the existing Pac-4 and definitely not paying for any MWC schools since they have the West Coast locked up between their existing Big Ten and MWC contracts.
So, Oregon State would probably get part of the ESPN pro-rata, but not the Fox portion.

Now... I'm not sure about SDSU. I don't know that moving to the Big 12 would justify their $34 Million exit fee to the MWC and I'm not sure that ESPN or Fox would pay to bring them in.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I agree, but as Maroon Eagle has stated, I think Stanford (and probably Cal) would go independent over joining the Big 12.

Rumor this morning is that Oregon State and SDSU are in very preliminary talks with the Big 12 and, if accepted, would be taking a reduced a payout. Not sure how credible it is, but the folks tweeting about it have been pretty close on most of the other moves.

This seems kind of credible, at least on the Oregon State side, because:
ESPN has an automatic pro-rata with the Big 12 about adding existing Power 5 schools. Oregon State is still technically a Power 5 school.
ESPN will be completely cut out of the West Coast in 2024 if they don't pick up the rights to one of the remaining Pac-4 schools or MWC schools in some capacity.
While they don't get the ratings to support owning the media rights of an entire conference, ESPN still probably sees money left on the table for late night games.
Fox is probably not going to pay the Big 12 for any of the existing Pac-4 and definitely not paying for any MWC schools since they have the West Coast locked up between their existing Big Ten and MWC contracts.
So, Oregon State would probably get part of the ESPN pro-rata, but not the Fox portion.

Now... I'm not sure about SDSU. I don't know that moving to the Big 12 would justify their $34 Million exit fee to the MWC and I'm not sure that ESPN or Fox would pay to bring them in.
Maybe they are looking at SDSU for the TV market.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
One other quote from Arizona, but it came in yesterday from the ASU AD.

Guess he’s never experienced the joy of setting a mattress on fire.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
One other quote from Arizona, but it came in yesterday from their AD.

Guess he’s never experienced the joy of setting a mattress on fire.

I don’t know too many Stanford and Harvard alums who’d do that…

I’m also surprised he survived the Herm Edwards brouhaha…

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think Utah, BYU, and Colorado will be good additions to the conference. I don't know about the rest of them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think Utah, BYU, and Colorado will be good additions to the conference. I don't know about the rest of them.
I don’t think Colorado brings anything to the Big 12 other than getting a former member back. Arizona brings elite basketball & both Arizona schools have potential in football if they get their **** together.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013

Smartest thing the SEC ever did was not name itself based on a number

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don’t think Colorado brings anything to the Big 12 other than getting a former member back. Arizona brings elite basketball & both Arizona schools have potential in football if they get their **** together.
Colorado used to be decent in football. Once they get rid of Prime Time, they might be again.

Utah and BYU already play a brand that will fit well with the Big 12. The Arizona schools can adapt.

You make a good point about Arizona. The 12 immediately get someone that might occasionally give Kansas a run for their money in BB.

I could be wrong, but It just looks like they got the best schools for a fit that they could've pulled from the PAC-12 without having to deal with the "Hi Profile School" baggage that the other schools might have.

Reactions: patdog and Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login