Another huge game for the basketball team Saturday vs Colorado State...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I think it's a must win if we have a hope of making the tourney. They are 9-0. The game is in Fort Worth, TX.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
IMO, win or it’s bye bye NC two A Tournament barring an insane conference game run.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
IMO, win or it’s bye bye NC two A Tournament barring an insane conference game run.

You’re wrong. The SEC is plenty good enough to give us numerous opportunities to get into the dance.

But if we lose Saturday, the hump will be empty until February and it will take a helluva January to get people there.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
You’re wrong. The SEC is plenty good enough to give us numerous opportunities to get into the dance.

But if we lose Saturday, the hump will be empty until February and it will take a helluva January to get people there.

You missed the part where I mentioned they had a chance if they did very well in SEC play

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
You missed the part where I mentioned they had a chance if they did very well in SEC play

I have not kept enough with college basketball but what would a good run be in the SEC this year. 10 wins get you in or does it need to be better?

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I have not kept enough with college basketball but what would a good run be in the SEC this year. 10 wins get you in or does it need to be better?

10-8 for a team that didn't have a great out of conference performance would likely be sweating on selection Sunday.

Howland really needs to win this game Saturday to take away a negative talking point in March.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I know the nature of college basketball now means lots of new faces every year for every team, but this team should get better as the season goes on. It’s practically a new team. At least I hope they get better. On paper, this should be a tournament team.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I know the nature of college basketball now means lots of new faces every year for every team, but this team should get better as the season goes on. It’s practically a new team. At least I hope they get better. On paper, this should be a tournament team.

Im with you. They are pretty talented. They have all the pieces. And they have quality depth. Once everyone finds their role and sticks to it, I think we could be an excellent team. But time will tell if they gel or not.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
The MN loss really hurt.....

I think it's a must win if we have a hope of making the tourney. They are 9-0. The game is in Fort Worth, TX.

A loss to a 10 pt underdog at home was not good but the biggest thing was it was another one of those crucial momentum builders that State has routinely crapped the bed in during howland's tenure. Lot of hoops to go but early returns are not doing ben's future in starkville any favors.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
dawgstudent, you remind me of Lucy and Charlie Brown when she's holding the football for him to kick and always pulls it at the last minute and makes him bust his arse. You suck me into thinking we have a chance and then Howland and his teams yank the football away at the last minute

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's certainly conceivable that they could lose this game and get on a run in the SEC and still make the tourney. But psychologically, they really need a good performance (and win) over a quality team to help them believe they are as good as a lot of us think they should be.

I think this may be the pivotal game of the season. It's time to start looking like a tourney team. I'll go so far as to say that if they win they will get to the tourney and if they don't, they won't.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
View attachment 23252

I'm afraid we're going to be very tired of this dude by the end of the game. David Roddy, one of the better players we'll see all year.

He probably won't be an NBA player, but he's a major problem as a collegian.

21 and 8 a game, shooting 57% overall, 48% from 3.

Last edited:

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
10-8 for a team that didn't have a great out of conference performance would likely be sweating on selection Sunday.

Howland really needs to win this game Saturday to take away a negative talking point in March.

If we lose this one I would think we’d have to be 12-6 at worst to have a legit shot. A 10-8 SEC team with no quality OOC wins is not going to catch the committee’s attention.

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
This year, if you're .500 or better in the SEC you have a shot. It might be the deepest the league has ever been.
But yes, tomorrow's game is huge for us.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This year, if you're .500 or better in the SEC you have a shot. It might be the deepest the league has ever been.
But yes, tomorrow's game is huge for us.

I'm open to having my mind changed, but I see an SEC with stronger than usual teams at the top, but depth is sketchy in the bottom half, and we are on the edge of being a bottom half team.

Aug 28, 2018
After last weekend, we're on schedule for another big win that gets us all fired up again. Which then sets the table for another disappointment. I hope not, but we'll see!

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
View attachment 23252

I'm afraid we're going to be very tired of this dude by the end of the game. David Roddy, one of the better players we'll see all year.

He probably won't be an NBA player, but he's a major problem as a collegian.

21 and 8 a game, shooting 57% overall, 48% from 3.

Who guards this guy? 6'6 255. I'm guessing Matthews when in game and Jefferies maybe, or Tolu, if guy is in the paint some.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Who guards this guy? 6'6 255. I'm guessing Matthews when in game and Jefferies maybe, or Tolu, if guy is in the paint some.

No idea, I'm just gonna watch. But if we don't guard this team they might embarrass us. They can really score.

They were in the NIT Final Four with us last year. Memphis pounded them, so Jefferies has seen them.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
When I was at State in the early ‘90s college basketball was by far my favorite sport to watch and to attend. To be honest - I usually don’t even watch the games anymore.

I have season tickets for football and come to 1 basketball game a year. Not sure if it’s because we’ve sucked for a decade, college basketball has sucked for a decade, or both…

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login