Another NIL question, can grade/GPA requirements be attached to a NIL contract or

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
does that get into the "no affiliation w/ the university" area of NIL?

Edit: Edited to say if not, then what incentive is there for a final semester Sr to even go to class in the Fall?

Last edited:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
"Mississippi doesn't have any GPA requirements with their NIL. Neither does Bama." - future conversation with recruit handlers.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Looks like the NCAA is helpless in all things NIL or Portal. The courts have ruled. The only way things will change is if Congress gets involved making laws or all FBS schools agree to make their own rules on the matter and stick to them. Good luck with either getting done.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Grey area. Its not supposed to, but it's really the wild west out there with this NIL stuff: there's no clear rules and no one is enforcing jack shite anyway.

I would think a good lawyer could tie payments to Name and Likeness usage, which is tied to team participation, making an end run around the supposed rule that you can't tie NIL to participation.

I expect these deals will morph over time to be like music record deals: tied to costs and performance in ways that screw the signee unless they perform really really well. 4* types will have to choose between lower nominal deals that are guaranteed and higher nominal deals that have carveouts and such that present more risk. Can't wait to see how EA implements this in Dynasty mode.**

Reactions: HRMSU and Maroon13

patdog

May 28, 2007
Looks like the NCAA is helpless in all things NIL or Portal. The courts have ruled. The only way things will change is if Congress gets involved making laws or all FBS schools agree to make their own rules on the matter and stick to them. Good luck with either getting done.
The one thing the NCAA could do would be allow direct payment of athletes by the schools. NIL would still exist, but would be dwarfed by the direct salaries.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The one thing the NCAA could do would be allow direct payment of athletes by the schools. NIL would still exist, but would be dwarfed by the direct salaries.

Exactly. The reason most of these theoretical stipulations won't fly is because we're still pretending that NIL is NIL. When the NCAA inevitably accepts and lays the groundwork for pay for play, I'd have to think that a lot would change from a legal perspective

Reactions: patdog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Lets say I own a hot dog company and have Scrooge McDuck level money that I have grown tired of swimming in, so I want to waste it on football players to ensure the team I watch for 20% of Satudays in a year is at least mildly competitive.

I find a good recruit and tell him- 'young man, I will pay you $1MM if you come to State, are available to play in at least 80% of games, are not arrested or charged with school violations, and end the fall semester in good academic standing. Additionally, a single picture of you eating one of my company's hot dogs will be taken and owned by the company.'

Who knows if recruits would agree to that, but it would be an endorsement contract that is not directly initiated or managed by the school.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Edit: Edited to say if not, then what incentive is there for a final semester Sr to even go to class in the Fall?
You can do things like say they have to live in a certain city or county while 'employed'. It just can't be tied to the school at all. But this is as stupid as saying they can't take money from boosters, because we all know the intent.

I don't like it, but the next step of this will probably be the worst part - with NIL being linked to the school, but boosters still somehow still paying for it, rather than TV. I think the NCAA (and the schools silently) will continue to do nothing as far as keeping the TV money for themselves. They will allow things to get quiet again, and keep the masses pacified. THEN, when things start getting crazy again, and Congress acts on this and eventually makes players employees of the school, the schools will hail it all as a success. And then 60 or so schools will breakaway from the NCAA.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login