Another SEC coach cashes in on the silly season…

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Considering Bob is doing half the prep work at no charge, this is kind of a good deal.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And people wonder why we got NIL and the portal.

These coaches’ workloads stayed exactly the same for 50 years while their pay skyrocketed.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
They make more than NFL coaches and for fewer games. But, but, but players get scholarships and swag... You can pay coaches this obscene amount of money because college football makes money in a lot of places, it's subsidized (state funds and student fees) and, unlike in the NFL, you don't have to pay the talent that fans like to watch play the game. NIL and portal are responses. Amazing how long it took for players to actually benefit appropriately from playing this game. I wonder what Kiffin is worth if Stoops is getting this much. Maybe we should reach out to Qatar or Saudi Arabia, give free schollies to their important peeps and say nice things about them, and hope they create some amazing NIL for State.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
How much more can head coach salaries go up? Would a $6 million coach with an extra $4 million for NIL get you better results than a $10 million? And if you're that $6 million coach so you take that job for a more incentive-heavy contract?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
$15 and $20 million contracts on the way. Should've been an agent. 17 being a college coach now because they priced the fun out of that part of the game.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking P-5 Athletic Depts are so flush with cash and cigar money that you either fire the guy or do what KY just did otherwise crootin' gets negatively impacted and uncertainty develops amongst the players.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
$15 and $20 million contracts on the way. Should've been an agent. 17 being a college coach now because they priced the fun out of that part of the game.
Why bother dropping that much when on the head coach when you can spend the money on the players? It's like the NFL where the top players easily earn 3x the top coaches and even players who you would only start as a backup on your fantasy roster on average make more than the average NFL head coach. But unlike the NFL, there's no salary cap on NIL.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Why bother dropping that much when on the head coach when you can spend the money on the players? It's like the NFL where the top players easily earn 3x the top coaches and even players who you would only start as a backup on your fantasy roster on average make more than the average NFL head coach. But unlike the NFL, there's no salary cap on NIL.
If the rules don't change, that's where we're headed. If I can spend $10M on my players and only $2M on my coach, I like my chances against your $10M coach with only $2M to spend on players.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If the rules don't change, that's where we're headed. If I can spend $10M on my players and only $2M on my coach, I like my chances against your $10M coach with only $2M to spend on players.
Problem is, the TV money can’t be spent on the players.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yet... the TV money can't be spent on the players...yet.
I'm still not sure the best way to do this. Keep it the way it is (basically the way it's always been, with the boosters paying the players), or have the players become employees of the school (which I THINK is what you're talking about, correct me if I'm wrong).

I actually think the best way to preserve amateurism is to stick with NIL. If they become employees of the school, where does that end? Will all athletes be treated that way? I don't think we want that. It may create parity though, if we make all the salaries equal, but that will just result in the schools investing these huge salaries into coaches and facilities yet AGAIN.

I say just let the boosters do the player funding, and let the schools do the coaching/facility funding. Everyone lives happily ever after.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
have the players become employees of the school (which I THINK is what you're talking about,
Absolutely.. they should be employees of the school.

It's complete anarchy right now. The quicker the P5 breaks from the NCAA and sets up NFL-Light the better it will be for everyone.

Let's just go to contracts and salary caps for every team. Screw the notion that they're still students. Does anybody care if players actually go to class? I couldn't give 2 flying 17s.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Absolutely.. they should be employees of the school.

It's complete anarchy right now. The quicker the P5 breaks from the NCAA and sets up NFL-Light the better it will be for everyone.

Let's just go to contracts and salary caps for every team. Screw the notion that they're still students. Does anybody care if players actually go to class? I couldn't give 2 flying 17s.
I admit to a little bit of 'thats how its always been' thinking, because it's always been anarchy. Players have been paid since the late 70s.

I kinda do care about players going to class. That is a big part of what makes college football, college. The fact that they chose the school. Whether that's booster enticed, geography, coaching, or whatever. We all make school choices based on a variety of things.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I kinda do care about players going to class. That is a big part of what makes college football, college. The fact that they chose the school. Whether that's booster enticed, geography, coaching, or whatever. We all make school choices based on a variety of things.
I'm the complete opposite. I realized somewhere over the last few years that we're all really just cheering for a jersey. The players sued and won at every turn. Now it's the wild west and the Supreme Court says pay'em whatever you want and the NCAA says play one year for Oregon, and if you like, play the next for Miami.

Well ok.. screw classes and an education. Lawyer up, sign a a contract and get to work.

I'd even take it a step further. Why can they only play 4 years? No other employees of the AD can only stay for 4 years. I say if you can't cut it in the NFL find a school who will still pay you to play for their team.

At this point, the notion that these are all just college kids playing ball while getting a quality education to help them get a start in life is laughable.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm the complete opposite. I realized somewhere over the last few years that we're all really just cheering for a jersey. The players sued and won at every turn. Now it's the wild west and the Supreme Court says pay'em whatever you want and the NCAA says play one year for Oregon, and if you like, play the next for Miami.

Well ok.. screw classes and an education. Lawyer up, sign a a contract and get to work.

I'd even take it a step further. Why can they only play 4 years? No other employees of the AD can only stay for 4 years. I say if you can't cut it in the NFL find a school who will still pay you to play for their team.

At this point, the notion that these are all just college kids playing ball while getting a quality education to help them get a start in life is laughable.
I will say that the entire notion of education is currently getting turned on its head. And I know my opinion won't affect the outcome, so oh well, probably just longing for the good ole days anyway.

I just hate that we are losing the tribalism part of it. The 'us vs. them'. That's always what separated college from pro ball, in my mind. I guess at the end of the day there is still tribalism in business. It's just different, I suppose, much more cutthroat. It's honestly filtered all the way down to youth sports.

Nothing stays the same, that's for sure.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I will laugh if State beats Ole Miss, Auburn hires someone not named Kiffin, Kiffin signs the Ole Miss offer, and Ole Miss is sitting there with a $9.5 million coach that just went 8-4, with their best win being Kentucky at home.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login