Any of yall into Indycar?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I need a new sports hobby. It seems a little more intelligent than NASCAR (those 17ing things are NOT stock cars). And not as sheepish as F1, ie no Netflix series.

I mean they are trying to go as fast as possible. I can respect that.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I need a new sports hobby. It seems a little more intelligent than NASCAR (those 17ing things are NOT stock cars). And not as sheepish as F1, ie no Netflix series.

I've been to the race in Birmingham. It's a blast!

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I’m planning to go next year.
It's great. The crowd is deliberately kept a lot lower than the track can handle by the track owner. Take a cushion or a lawn chair. No seating, you watch it from hillsides above the track. You can walk all around it. Whatever you do NOT forget earplugs. There is a fantastic motorcycle museum at the track too. I want to go back but have not been able to manage it yet. I went two years ago. Be sure to get a parking pass.

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014

Was at an event at Texas motor Speedway number of years ago. NASCAR was there as well as Indy sharing the track for practice sessions. My friend at the time handled IT for a nsacar team so I was in the pits with the teams. I found it funny that the food available for the NASCAR teams was a buffet of barbecue ribs, brisket and pork. The Indy guys had fruit, baked chicken and salads.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

I keep up with it casually, ever since attending Long Beach a couple times years ago. Was fun to watch in person, IMSA was there as well (also entertaining). The drivers are fan accessible, there was a free autograph session , I got an official poster and went around with my kids who were young at the time and got it autographed by almost every driver. Most of the drivers did not even have a line, Newgarden chatted with my kids and I for a few minutes (he was relatively new then, rookie year maybe). Went to a practice session at Birmingham a couple years ago, hope to travel to more in future.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Went to Barber in 2018 for the Indy race and had a blast. Met Newgarden and chatted with him for a bit. Started watching the series pretty regularly after that. I like the strategy involved in the racing. When to pit, what tires to use, two stop vs. three stop strategy. The Indy 500 this year was an epic race.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

there is always NHRA. Speaking of trying to go as fast as possible.

They start the engines on gasoline or methanol… switch to nitro methane for the burnout and race… halfway into the run the heat in the combustion process melts the spark plugs.. and it finishes the run being ignited by almost white hot valves. In the stands your insides literally shake when they go by. They are somewhere between 11,000 and 13,000 horsepower.

at a race you can walk up and watch them rebuild the engines after every run. Drivers are sometimes close by to meet with the public.

Definitely one of those “you absolutely have to see it in person to do it Justice” type of things.

There is a video of one of the drivers, Clay Millican, that came to Olive Branch as part of the Edelbrock Headquarters opening celebration on Hacks Cross Road. They started the car and did a whack of the throttle in the parking lot. It busted a window in the building.

Can skip to 3.50 for the car starting. 11.50 for discovery of the broken window

HotMop

May 8, 2006

You seem like you'd be a Jean Girad fan versus a Ricky Bobby fan.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login