Any older neighborhoods in Desoto County?

forestdepth

Feb 20, 2018
Considering a relocation to memphis and like the Germantown area. Are there any neighborhoods in Desoto county with a similar feel?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
What’s your definition of older neighborhood and what kind of square footage we talking about?

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Check out the area near Olive Branch High School and OB Elementary school. Might also look north of the Goodman Rd/Malone Rd intersection.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
The Hernando area, NE of the square, is the best comparable to Gtown.

One area in OB/Shaven that would have that type house older house and still a nice area with close shopping..... the area inside the block of goodman-Craft-church-Getwell.

Wedgewood, Dickens place, Robinson Crossing, Plum Point.

Last edited:

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
My advice is go to Germantown…land locked few new homes older homes are in demand so resale is there for later. If you need schools the area schools are good.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
My advice is go to Germantown…land locked few new homes older homes are in demand so resale is there for later. If you need schools the area schools are good.
Leave it to Mississippians to tell fellow Mississippians to leave the state. Just awful. He asked about Desoto and the trolls just had to come out.

Not to mention the total package is cheaper in Mississippi, regardless of the state income tax.

Carry on haters.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Considering a relocation to memphis and like the Germantown area. Are there any neighborhoods in Desoto county with a similar feel?

You would be happy with Hernando.

Also, Lewisberg, east of hernando. The area north of 302, west of 305, east of old Hwy 78, and south of state line road. The Pleasant Hill area. Nesbit. The Starlanding road area.

way more than that. There is a lot of space you are looking for in and around Hernando, north along 55, south of college rd and over to Olive Branch, down to Hernando road, and back to Hernando.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
There are not a lot of the old craftsman style neighborhoods outside of Hernando that I would invest in. The trend right now is to move out of Shelby County, Southaven or Olive Branch to the Lewisburg or Center Hill areas of DC. Hernado still has the older neighborhoods that will hold their value. Anything close to the sate line I would look at newer construction. Also don't count out Collerville.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Homes built 30+ years ago. 2k+ square feet.

Out of curiosity, what is the appeal of homes built 30+ years ago. I don't feel like the 80's were particularly great for quality or character as far as homes go. I hate cookie cutter neighborhoods so I certainly get wanting to avoid those, and even cookie cutter neighborhoods from the 80's will have had enough additions and remodels and tree growth that they won't look so bad now. But you can also get that just by looking for better neighborhoods that didn't just clearcut and throw cookie cutter houses up.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There are not a lot of the old craftsman style neighborhoods outside of Hernando that I would invest in. The trend right now is to move out of Shelby County, Southaven or Olive Branch to the Lewisburg or Center Hill areas of DC. Hernado still has the older neighborhoods that will hold their value. Anything close to the sate line I would look at newer construction. Also don't count out Collerville.
Are Southaven and Olive Branch going downhill in any way? Or are people just attracted to the 'new'?

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Are Southaven and Olive Branch going downhill in any way? Or are people just attracted to the 'new'?

I wouldn't say going down but petty theft is becoming a problem but that is every where in Desoto and Shelby County. Most people are just moving out to the better school districts in the county. These areas are newer construction say less than 10 years old.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017

Also forgot to mention eastern Desoto county has a lot of warehouses going up. I'm interested to see how the infrastructure will hold up to the heavy truck loads.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Dude, OP said he liked the "feel" of Germantown. So why not just live there? Because I can tell you, there is no Germantown, TN in Desoto County in my opinion. Sure, you may find some 2000+ sq ft homes that are 20+ years old. But they aren't near a trader joes or whole foods.

However, if someone from MS asked me the unqualified Q of where to live in the Memphis metro....I would say DC for sure.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Also forgot to mention eastern Desoto county has a lot of warehouses going up. I'm interested to see how the infrastructure will hold up to the heavy truck loads.
Yeah I imagine Hack's Cross is going to take a pounding. I do hope Reeves is successful in getting rid of the state income tax so we can attract some other businesses rather than just the big warehousing (specifically in the Desoto County area).

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012

Southaven, Horn Lake and OB proper are basically suburbs of Memphis. They are having the same issues as every Memphis Suburb. Shopping centers and Housing get older. A new school and shopping center gets built further out, people want to live near the new school and retail. I joke with my kids......they will one day live and send their kids to the brand new Independence high school in Tate county.

Positive though for Southaven and OB, the Silos development near Snowden and Cascades (OB) are utilitizing space near town and are bringing some nice retail and homes near the towns. However, the Ingrams Mills area of Desoto County is about to explode and the sprawl will continue.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Southaven, Horn Lake and OB proper are basically suburbs of Memphis. They are having the same issues as every Memphis Suburb. Shopping centers and Housing get older. A new school and shopping center gets built further out, people want to live near the new school and retail. I joke with my kids......they will one day live and send their kids to the brand new Independence high school in Tate county.

Positive though for Southaven and OB, the Silos development near Snowden and Cascades (OB) are utilitizing space near town and are bringing some nice retail and homes near the towns. However, the Ingrams Mills area of Desoto County is about to explode and the sprawl will continue.
Yeah I guess it's the same cycle as Anywhere, USA, except for the retail......which may slow down some of the value loss at a certain point. Retail seems nice for a while, but they does down rapidly. And brick and mortar was already going down, now accelerated by COVID, we may not see a ton of new retail investment. Just reinvest in the existing.

May decrease the super sprawl. Of course more people can now live farther out because they drive to offices less now. Who knows.

Specifically, I always thought OB would be alright. I used to live there 20 years ago and it seems the area north of that was alright. I think it was unincorporated Shelby County at the time, but really considered a nicer area. May have been annexed by Memphis by now. 78 has always been rough I guess.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
A lot has changed in 20 years and it wasn’t for the better. That part of east Memphis just north of Olive Branch went down hill quickly.

jumpdawg

Sep 7, 2012
I will be selling a home in Hernando historic district, just off square. DM if you’d like

dawgdoug1962

Oct 14, 2013
A lot has changed in 20 years and it wasn’t for the better. That part of east Memphis just north of Olive Branch went down hill quickly.

I have been in Desoto County since January 1941 and a large part of my adult career was spent in Memphis....I commuted to downtown river front in those days. It really hurts to see what has happened, and is happening, to a town I enjoyed so much through teen and young adult years.

The spill over from Memphis crime is slowly but surely making its way to S'haven and Olive Branch. Now retired and living in Hernando, I know it will eventually impact us more and more. I am very thankful for the medical facilities and services available to me in my county because I do not travel to Memphis any more.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Leave it to Mississippians to tell fellow Mississippians to leave the state. Just awful. He asked about Desoto and the trolls just had to come out.

Not to mention the total package is cheaper in Mississippi, regardless of the state income tax.

Carry on haters.

Depending on where you are working, Hernando is a dang drive to downtown. Germantown, Collierville are good areas. I would check my distance to work if I were you.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I have been in Germantown for 11 years now and love it here. Great access to different grocery stores, and lots of great restaurants close by to go with the well respected school districts

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Yeah I imagine Hack's Cross is going to take a pounding. I do hope Reeves is successful in getting rid of the state income tax so we can attract some other businesses rather than just the big warehousing (specifically in the Desoto County area).

I'm not sure what the appeal is of repealing the state income tax. They will just raise it somewhere else to make up for it.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
I would DM Jumpdog. Older homes are hard to find in Hernando.

Southaven is doing a good job around the Silo Square area. The area around 55 is going down hill fast. I’m not sure why they chose to put all the warehouses right beside the Landers Center, it just looks bad.

I would go Hernando (love it in Hernando) or Lewisburg.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not sure what the appeal is of repealing the state income tax. They will just raise it somewhere else to make up for it.

It's just generally better to tax consumption rather than productivity or wealth.

Plus, states that don't have an income tax are generally doing much better, but not sure how much of that is caused by the lack of income tax. Could be that having the type of assets that makes it feasible to go to a no state income tax are what's making those states successful. Tennessee does seem pretty persuasive to me. I understand why Texas and Florida could eliminate the state income tax while a state like Mississippi could not, but Tennessee being able to do it makes it seem more plausible to me that Mississippi can do it.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's just generally better to tax consumption rather than productivity or wealth.

Plus, states that don't have an income tax are generally doing much better, but not sure how much of that is caused by the lack of income tax. Could be that having the type of assets that makes it feasible to go to a no state income tax are what's making those states successful. Tennessee does seem pretty persuasive to me. I understand why Texas and Florida could eliminate the state income tax while a state like Mississippi could not, but Tennessee being able to do it makes it seem more plausible to me that Mississippi can do it.

How does one measure if a state with no income tax is doing better than a state with no sales tax and accurately associate that betterness to the tax structure?

Consumption tax is certainly appealing in that it eliminates taxation on investing. It is also a heavily regressive tax which, without measures in place, overly burdens lower income earners.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
How does one measure if a state with no income tax is doing better than a state with no sales tax
population growth, growth in median or average hourly wage or family income, unemployment rate, fiscal health of the state, etc.

and accurately associate that betterness to the tax structure?
Not a big sample to do regression analysis, so all you can really do is look at alternative explanations and try to rule them out or in. You can come up with explanations like weather, natural resources, strong tourism, the "luck" of having a couple of the most successful companies in the history of the world headquartered there, etc., but the states don't really look alike and basically none of the explanations wouldn't also be true of California or new york.

Consumption tax is certainly appealing in that it eliminates taxation on investing. It is also a heavily regressive tax which, without measures in place, overly burdens lower income earners.
People that earn more will still tend to pay more in taxes because they will consume more. And to the extent that you utilize use taxes to pay for certain government expenditures (like gas/car taxes for road maintenance), you are putting the burden on the people that are benefitting from it. It's not perfect, but it's certainly more efficienet, which is why it makes sense that it would benefit states that put it in place.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Some of this I agree with and some I would question. Thank you for taking time to respond and also acknowledging it isnt cut and dried.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Some of this I agree with and some I would question. Thank you for taking time to respond and also acknowledging it isnt cut and dried.

More than not being cut and dried, despite what politicians and policy wonks like to pretend, there are things more important than policy (as long as the policies are tolerable). California has had terrible policy for decades, and while it certainly has hurt it and chased out a lot of its middle class, it could stop being stupid tomorrow and just have "median" policies (or maybe modal?), and it would immediately be one of if not the most desirable places in the US to live. Mississippi could implement optimal policy tomorrow on every single thing you could think of, and we will still be a poor state with not enough population or dense population centers (both of which are possibly the most important assets to have), a large portion of its state dealing with legacy issues from over a century of policy that ranged from human rights violations to bad, and just wouldn't be that desirable to a lot of people and businesses. It would certainly help over time and help us grow, but it wouldn't be anything like instantaneous. And of course getting rid of income tax is just one good policy; we wouldn't really be anything close to optimal policy, even on tax. Unless we stop spending, we still won't be a low tax state, and we'll have a lot of dependencies on government spending that would be hard to unwind.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
More than not being cut and dried, despite what politicians and policy wonks like to pretend, there are things more important than policy (as long as the policies are tolerable). California has had terrible policy for decades, and while it certainly has hurt it and chased out a lot of its middle class, it could stop being stupid tomorrow and just have "median" policies (or maybe modal?), and it would immediately be one of if not the most desirable places in the US to live. Mississippi could implement optimal policy tomorrow on every single thing you could think of, and we will still be a poor state with not enough population or dense population centers (both of which are possibly the most important assets to have), a large portion of its state dealing with legacy issues from over a century of policy that ranged from human rights violations to bad, and just wouldn't be that desirable to a lot of people and businesses. It would certainly help over time and help us grow, but it wouldn't be anything like instantaneous. And of course getting rid of income tax is just one good policy; we wouldn't really be anything close to optimal policy, even on tax. Unless we stop spending, we still won't be a low tax state, and we'll have a lot of dependencies on government spending that would be hard to unwind.
That's a great post.

Mississippi's income tax is a tricky one. For me personally, sure, get rid of it, it'd be great for me, and make the state appear more attractive (how much, like you said, we don't really know). I don't know that we 'consume' as much here as Tennessee and Florida, with their huge amount of tourism. To me, Texas is the one that's similar, because out there it's about jobs/jobs/jobs. The state has no real redeeming tourism value (except to go to a place with a bunch of money and man-made ****). Same with Mississippi for the most part. It's about jobs.

Outside of MSU and Ole Miss, Mississippians go and blow their tourism dollars elsewhere.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login