Any scotch connoisseurs here?

Sep 12, 2013
I picked up my usual balvenie 12…and decided to try something different.

Picked up something called Monkeys Shoulder, wanted to offset the cost of the balvenie a little bit.

Anyone tried it? Thoughts?

msubrave

Nov 17, 2015
I knew a guy that used to have a monkey tail dangling out of his front shirt pocket when he went out to the bars as a conversation starter... got nothing on monkey shoulder scotch.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
The Clan McGregor. Less of a beverage and more of a test of manhood.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Don't remember when or where, but I do remember trying it and enjoying it.

hydrodawg

Jun 6, 2013
Not to be a smartass, but...

Picked up something called Monkeys Shoulder, wanted to offset the cost of the balvenie a little bit.

Am I reading this right? You've already bought it. Why don't you try it and make up your own mind?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Not an expert but Balvenie and Monkey Shoulder were two fine choices. Of course a lot depends on what flavor you are looking for. Islay island offers peated scotch which means you will taste smoke when you drink it. Balvenie is pretty smooth like MacAllan or some aged Glenfiddich. I've been drinking Ardbeg 12 and Dalwhinie 15. My personal opinion is that Monkey Shoulder is the best of the blends.

kb549

Oct 6, 2014

Any scotch will do, as long as it's not a blend, of course. Single malt, Glen Livet, Glen Galley, perhaps, any Glen.***

I wanted to learn to enjoy scotch while I was at State. I thought it would be good for my career (professional dinners, drinks with coworkers, etc.) I had a top shelf palate, but a Scoresby budget. Scoresby was like $6-8 a handle in the late 90’s. Only $20 now, per the google. Not too many years later, on a fishing trip, I drank something from a bottle that just said Scotch on a plain white label in black letters. After I had a Ward’s Big One. Last scotch I ever drank. Scotch gave me the worst hangovers I’ve ever had. Probably due to the formaldehyde or some other cutting agent mixed in at the Scoresby factory. Cheers!

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
My roomate at state was of Scottish origin so we'd get the big Scoresby bottle when the loan check came in and wander around the Cotton District yelling "Scoresby!" in the most over-the-top scottish brogue we could muster. Play Steve Earle's Copperhead Road as loud as we could take it for the bagpipes. Good times till the next morning, you're right about the hangovers.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Scotch fan here, but not a Monkey Shoulder fan. Pretty much the only scotch I've had that I flat out don't like. I don't generally prefer speysides, but monkey shoulder in particular tastes sickly sour to me. You already bought it, so hope you like it. A lot of people do, it's just not for me.

If you want to try another good cheap blend I would recommend Naked Malt (fka Naked Grouse). It has some peated malt in the blend, whereas I don't think Monkey Shoulder does, but it's not overly smoky.

A good single malt to try if you want something cheaper than Balvenie but still good would be Deanston Virgin Oak.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login