Any vets on the board?

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
Dogs also get in a habit of doing it. My small dog does it after eating usually. If it's not causing sores or rashes, I wouldn't worry about it

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I have a half pit half lab. When I rescued her, she would spend hours chewing and licking her feet. Vet put her on apoquel and it’s changed her life. It’s expensive, they have to take it everyday but it’s made her be able to enjoy life. I could tell her allergies were making her crazy.

Her coat is now perfect and she’s turned out to be the best investment I’ve ever made

Reactions: dorndawg

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Our dog did this for a while. First it was allergies, then it became a nervous tick. We got the allergies under control and eventually she stopped after a month or two. I think we gave her some puppy Xanex at some point but I don’t think it helped much.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
1. It’s LIKELY some type of allergy…it’s extremely common for them to manifest first as feet licking.
2. Take her to your local vet so they can examine for other signs that may help pinpoint what TYPE of allergy it may be.
3. Treatment can range from antihistamines or steroids (cheap) to Apoquel (pills-expensive) to Cytopoint (injection-expensive) to specialty hypoallergenic foods (criminally expensive).
4. No matter what anyone tells you, the ONLY WAY to definitively diagnose what she’s allergic to is through skin testing. That’s expensive and a commitment, but it’s the gold standard. Just the way it is with allergies.
5. It CAN be behavioral….if so, all bets are off. Treating behavioral issues in pets is voodoo….there are a laundry list of things and drugs to treat them with. Pray it’s allergies.
6. Avoid Google. It’s a bottomless rabbit hole.

Reactions: Yubey

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
1. It’s LIKELY some type of allergy…it’s extremely common for them to manifest first as feet licking.
2. Take her to your local vet so they can examine for other signs that may help pinpoint what TYPE of allergy it may be.
3. Treatment can range from antihistamines or steroids (cheap) to Apoquel (pills-expensive) to Cytopoint (injection-expensive) to specialty hypoallergenic foods (criminally expensive).
4. No matter what anyone tells you, the ONLY WAY to definitively diagnose what she’s allergic to is through skin testing. That’s expensive and a commitment, but it’s the gold standard. Just the way it is with allergies.
5. It CAN be behavioral….if so, all bets are off. Treating behavioral issues in pets is voodoo….there are a laundry list of things and drugs to treat them with. Pray it’s allergies.
6. Avoid Google. It’s a bottomless rabbit hole.
Well said.

jwtorch

Jun 15, 2023
My dog (mutt) started doing that all of a sudden when he was about 6 or 7. My nephew (vet) asked if I'd changed food, shampoo, etc but I hadn't. Think he gave him a steroid shot a couple of times & it finally went away thankfully. He still gnaws at himself some but not enough to be a problem.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Vet Doggo Escaping GIF - Vet Doggo Escaping Run GIFs

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So I watched a couple of Dr Pol episodes tonight. Appears to be anxiety or boredom.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login