Any Waylon Jennings fans here?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Thought that this was going to be a thread about a "great deal" on a Waylon Jennings T-shirt currently for sale by someone on eBay with the exact same name as you.

StateJCP

Jul 7, 2021
Thought that this was going to be a thread about a "great deal" on a Waylon Jennings T-shirt currently for sale by someone on eBay with the exact same name as you.

You are right on that! If only I not sold my Waylon shirt on eBay already! Lol

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Only two things in life that make it worth living….steel guitars and firm feeling women.

I have to disagree with Waylon a bit.

Firm looking women yes, but firm feeling women makes it seem like I entered a grappling match with a flyweight man. Now if you really wanna make life worth living, a good firm handed woman... well you fellas know where I stand on that matter.

Carry on

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
back in the early 80's --while at MSU vs Tide at Tuscaloosa game, I had a ****** seat-so I slipped down to the Bama sideline for a better view.. I was standing next to this Dude in a cowboy hat and we were talking and I looked at Him closer. i asked "are You
ole waylon" he laughed and said he had a concert that night and they gave Him sideline pass--I told Him -**** I just snuck down hear. he said stick with Me and you will be Ok.. I did we had a nice time. we Lost-as usual. I think Joe Carter fumbled on about the 5--but the ball bounced right back into his hand and He scored and that my friends was 'Katy bar the door"

Sep 7, 2012
This was Mid-September 1980. I was the Mississippi State beat writer for The Clarion-Ledger. Emory Bellard's second State team was playing Vanderbilt in Nashville (Dogs won 24-14). I met Chris Etheridge, the great bass guitar player (and human being) from Meridian, who played with Waylon and Willie and the boys, and a whole lot more bands including The Flying Burrito Brothers, Linda Ronstadt, John Prine, Ry Cooder, Bill Withers and, well, you get the idea. Chris, a Hall of Fame bass player, somehow was in the press box and we struck up a conversation. He asked me what I was doing after the game and I said I wanted to hear some music. He said, "Well, you need to come with me." We first went to the Exit Inn where Bonnie Raitt was playing and singing the **** out of her great songs (we sat with Jimmy Buffett, by the way.) After we closed them down, Chris said a friend of his was having a late night party. The friend was Waylon Jennings. So, off we go to Waylon's mansion, arriving about 3 a.m. We were feeling no pain. Nobody at Waylon's house was, either. Waylon, alas, had gone to bed a few minutes earlier. We hung around for a drink or two and then Chris shuttled me back to that Holiday Inn that was right next to the football stadium. Pretty sure it's not a Holiday Inn now. My good buddy, the late Orley Hood, knocked on my door at 7 a.m. Sunday, ready to be driven back to Jackson in my car. Ha! He drove, I slept. Chris and I remained friends until he died of cancer far too young in 2012. He loved Jack Cristil and the Bulldogs more than he loved his guitar, I do believe. He told me the two most distinct voices he ever heard in his entire life were Willie Nelson's and Jack Cristil's. They'd be in my top three or four as well. Waylon was right in there, too.
Anyway, that was a good night.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This was Mid-September 1980. I was the Mississippi State beat writer for The Clarion-Ledger. Emory Bellard's second State team was playing Vanderbilt in Nashville (Dogs won 24-14). I met Chris Etheridge, the great bass guitar player (and human being) from Meridian, who played with Waylon and Willie and the boys, and a whole lot more bands including The Flying Burrito Brothers, Linda Ronstadt, John Prine, Ry Cooder, Bill Withers and, well, you get the idea. Chris, a Hall of Fame bass player, somehow was in the press box and we struck up a conversation. He asked me what I was doing after the game and I said I wanted to hear some music. He said, "Well, you need to come with me." We first went to the Exit Inn where Bonnie Raitt was playing and singing the **** out of her great songs (we sat with Jimmy Buffett, by the way.) After we closed them down, Chris said a friend of his was having a late night party. The friend was Waylon Jennings. So, off we go to Waylon's mansion, arriving about 3 a.m. We were feeling no pain. Nobody at Waylon's house was, either. Waylon, alas, had gone to bed a few minutes earlier. We hung around for a drink or two and then Chris shuttled me back to that Holiday Inn that was right next to the football stadium. Pretty sure it's not a Holiday Inn now. My good buddy, the late Orley Hood, knocked on my door at 7 a.m. Sunday, ready to be driven back to Jackson in my car. Ha! He drove, I slept. Chris and I remained friends until he died of cancer far too young in 2012. He loved Jack Cristil and the Bulldogs more than he loved his guitar, I do believe. He told me the two most distinct voices he ever heard in his entire life were Willie Nelson's and Jack Cristil's. They'd be in my top three or four as well. Waylon was right in there, too.
Anyway, that was a good night.

Good story! Miss Orely's column, the CL was one of the joys of my youth.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Waylon Jennings radio on Pandora is played mostly all day, mostly every day.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Mine as well. Rick Cleveland, Bobby Cleveland, Orley Hood. I'd put them up against any newspaper trio anywhere. I miss the days of holding a paper in my hand with actual content that was worth reading.

ETA: Imagine papers mattering enough to get two a day Clarion Ledger/Jackson Daily News

Last edited:

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Didn't realize until recently he was tight with Buddy Holly, had been hired to play bass for Holly on the tour & was originally supposed to be on the flight that crashed & killed Holly, Richie Valens & "The Big Bopper". Guessing all you true WJ fans knew all that.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2012
Miss it,too. Those days were some fun. Lots of work, but lots of fun. RIP, Orley and Chris, two great Americans…

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Mom still has records by him I listened go as a kid when he has no beard or western clothing I still think some of that stuff is his best.

Of course I love his later stuff but I used to listen to all of his 60's stuff on my Mom's stereo while she was home from work and we'd sing along. Love of the Common People, etc..

My favorite song when everyone in Nashville forgot those boys was this one. Underrated.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Didn't realize until recently he was tight with Buddy Holly, had been hired to play bass for Holly on the tour & was originally supposed to be on the flight that crashed & killed Holly, Richie Valens & "The Big Bopper". Guessing all you true WJ fans knew all that.

When Waylon told Buddy he was taking the bus the conversation went something like Buddy telling Waylon he hoped his bus broke down, and Waylon telling Buddy, “I hope your ol’ plane crashes.

Last edited:

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012

they were both from Lubbock

msu86

Sep 17, 2015
If you enjoy Waylon you really should look up this localish guy that goes by River Dan. His voice is spot on for Waylon. On his facebook page he does a Waylon Wednesday. It is good stuff.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
When Waylon told Buddy he was taking the bus the conversation went something like Buddy telling Waylon he hoped his bus broke down, and Waylon telling Buddy, “I hope your ol’ plane crashes.

He talked about it in a few interviews I have watched and said he never got over that statement for a long, long time. He also roomed with Johnny Cash in Nashville when they both were young. The Highwaymen were awesome and heroes for my late father in his later years. I have to watch that video or listen to their songs every couple of months. Soooo underrated.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...iendship-of-countrys-great-supergroup-184126/

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
I am friends with one of the guitar players in Waylon's band during Waylon's prime. He was also a member of "The Crickets" after Buddy was killed. He was interviewed for two episodes of 'Tales from the Tour Bus" that featured Waylon. He's the one that Jesse had flush the white powder down the toilet.
He has told me some great stories. He has also given up all the bad habits he picked up on the road and is a great Christian witness for all who meet him.
I have enjoyed listening to Waylon since way back in my mid-teen years.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
Ghost of Robert E Lee. Great song even though I could be met with opposition for even mentioning it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login