Anybody else think the NCAA should amend rules not allowing replay if offense quick snaps?

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Seems stupid to allow any team to defeat the purpose of replay (getting the call correct) by using a quick snap to prevent officials from reviewing a clearly questionable call.

Personally, I'd rather let them quick snap if they want, but allow the replay booth or opposing team's coaches a chance to still challenge. It's not as if it would be difficult to put things back where it should be. Set a maximum time to allow it so it only covers quick-snaps.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Teams have timeouts, do they not? Seems that ability already exists. If the call is questionable they can call timeout to prevent the quick snap. And they award it back to the team if the call is overturned, typically.
So in your opinion & team should be forced to use one of their 3-per-half to's in order to stop the other team from basically cheating? That about right?

What about when they don't have any? Why penalize the team getting screwed?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Seems stupid to allow any team to defeat the purpose of replay (getting the call correct) by using a quick snap to prevent officials from reviewing a clearly questionable call.

Personally, I'd rather let them quick snap if they want, but allow the replay booth or opposing team's coaches a chance to still challenge. It's not as if it would be difficult to put things back where it should be. Set a maximum time to allow it so it only covers quick-snaps.
I think the next snap is the perfect time for the deadline of the review. The majority of calls are upheld, so if a team gets on the line of scrimmage and snaps the ball and scores, we’re going to take points off the board because replay decided 5 seconds after the snap to review the previous play just so it can be confirmed?

That doesn’t seem right.

I feel like if a team is disciplined enough to get lined up in time, get a play call and snap the ball, they deserve the next play.

So in your opinion & team should be forced to use one of their 3-per-half to's in order to stop the other team from basically cheating? That about right?

How are they cheating?

As far as not having any time-outs, don’t burn your time-outs or challenges until you need to and it won’t be a problem.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I think the next snap is the perfect time for the deadline of the review. The majority of calls are upheld, so if a team gets on the line of scrimmage and snaps the ball and scores, we’re going to take points off the board because replay decided 5 seconds after the snap to review the previous play just so it can be confirmed?

That doesn’t seem right.

I feel like if a team is disciplined enough to get lined up in time, get a play call and snap the ball, they deserve the next play.

How are they cheating?

As far as not having any time-outs, don’t burn your time-outs or challenges until you need to and it won’t be a problem.
C'mon. We both know teams run to the line for a quick snap precisely because they know it was a bad call in their favor. And we both know they can line up & snap it before anybody has a chance to actually look at the replay. So yes, that is a form of cheating. It's against the spirit of the rule.

And yes, the play should get called back if there were points scored on the following play because the offense did not truly earn the points. Like I said, I'd let them run the quick snap if they want, then make the previous play still subject to review if it is reviewed within the time frame it takes to actually see the review.

All such a change would do is allow for correction of a missed call, even in those cases where the offense runs a quick snap in an effort to prevent it.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008

No, this would be ridiculous.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

Why penalize the team who was able to hurry-up and snap the ball? Why take their play away?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I think the NCAA should penalize the defense in this situation. The offense clearly recognized it was a bad call quickly and snapped the ball. The defense was clueless and chose not to use a timeout or have a player fake a heart attack. For punishment, they should have two timeouts taken away and be given a 15 yard penalty. They probably won’t notice that either **

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Easiest thing to do is have the ref stand over the ball until the booth says no review.
I like this, although it can slow down an up tempo offense, particularly in a 2 minute drill. There are some instances where the Referee should be able to see a call was close and go ahead and stop play until he hears from the booth.

BTW, I don't think offenses "know" they got away with a bad call when they rush to the line. They know the call was close and don't want to risk it being overturned.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
C'mon. We both know teams run to the line for a quick snap precisely because they know it was a bad call in their favor. And we both know they can line up & snap it before anybody has a chance to actually look at the replay. So yes, that is a form of cheating. It's against the spirit of the rule.

And yes, the play should get called back if there were points scored on the following play because the offense did not truly earn the points. Like I said, I'd let them run the quick snap if they want, then make the previous play still subject to review if it is reviewed within the time frame it takes to actually see the review.

All such a change would do is allow for correction of a missed call, even in those cases where the offense runs a quick snap in an effort to prevent it.
So, really close game, final seconds. Home team completes a pass on the sideline, and maybe the receiver's foot was out of bounds. Home team rushes to the line, runs a play and SCORES! Ref says the previous previous play is under review.

If it turns out the receiver was OB, you say take the offense back two plays and now proceed?

What if the call of a catch was upheld? Do we count the TD, or do we go back to where the first play ended?

And once we get used to going back 2 plays, why don't we consider going back 3 plays? Or 4?

There is no perfect system. I don't like the offense being able to cover its tracks, but once the next play has started its time to move on and stop worrying about bad calls.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Nobody is getting “screwed” unless its an obvious blown call, in which case the likelihood of the booth stopping it on their own is pretty high.

What I described is the current rule that has survived for years without much scrutiny. There are so many damn booth reviews that it rarely even comes into play. And yes, they should have to have a timeout to challenge a play, and lose one if they are incorrect. You have to have some form of currency to it to prevent coaches from challenging every other play.

And if that’s not good enough for you, always know that defenses (in a problem that can seemingly never be solved) have the unlimited ability to stop play whenever they want by faking injuries. So there is never a situation where a questionable play should not be looked at unless the defensive team’s coaching staff is not paying attention.

Reactions: patdog and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Easiest thing to do is have the ref stand over the ball until the booth says no review.
I think the downside here is in a situation where there’s very little time left on the clock, you either keep the offense from snapping the ball while time slips away which is unfair to an offense in a 2 minute drill or you stop the clock until review is clear and that would be unfair to the defense because it allows the offense time to get set and a proper play called down.

I do have to say, this thread is the first one I’ve ever seen clamoring for MORE play stoppages.

Reactions: drumrcraig

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I think the downside here is in a situation where there’s very little time left on the clock, you either keep the offense from snapping the ball while time slips away which is unfair to an offense in a 2 minute drill or you stop the clock until review is clear and that would be unfair to the defense because it allows the offense time to get set and a proper play called down.

I do have to say, this thread is the first one I’ve ever seen clamoring for MORE play stoppages.
The clock would stop while the booth makes a decision.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Simple rules to fix replay. No plays are reviewed without a challenge. Coaches get unlimited challenges. If a challenged call isn't overturned, the challenging team loses a time out. The standard to overturn a call is clear and obvious error. If a call can't be overturned in 60 seconds, it stands. When the ball is snapped for the next play, the play can't be challenged.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

A form of cheating? Nope. It's just using the rules to your advantage. Knowing the rules and how to maximize your success within the rules is not cheating

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Every play is reviewed, so you’d stop the clock between every play? Again, I think that gives the offense an unfair advantage.
No. You stop the offense that’s hurrying to the line long enough for the booth to decide to review it or not. During that time you stop the clock to not punish them. This isn’t a timeout so no going to the sideline. It’s just the extra 5-10 seconds the booth usually needs to decide.
This isn’t for every play. This is obvious plays the offense is trying to avoid a review.

Reactions: blacklistedbully

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Why penalize the team who was able to hurry-up and snap the ball? Why take their play away?
Because they are the team trying to "get away with it" rather than earn it. Plus, it's not penalizing them, it is simply not rewarding them for their BS move in those cases where they did it to bypass the rules & fair play.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I like this, although it can slow down an up tempo offense, particularly in a 2 minute drill. There are some instances where the Referee should be able to see a call was close and go ahead and stop play until he hears from the booth.

BTW, I don't think offenses "know" they got away with a bad call when they rush to the line. They know the call was close and don't want to risk it being overturned.
In other words, not risk the play being called correctly.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
"So, really close game, final seconds. Home team completes a pass on the sideline, and maybe the receiver's foot was out of bounds. Home team rushes to the line, runs a play and SCORES! Ref says the previous previous play is under review.

If it turns out the receiver was OB, you say take the offense back two plays and now proceed?"
Exactly. Offense should not be rewarded with points, etc. if they didn't earn it.
"What if the call of a catch was upheld? Do we count the TD, or do we go back to where the first play ended?"
Yes, you count the TD. That's exactly why I suggest the offense be allowed to quick-snap. The offense should also not be punished by taking away anything they earned.
"And once we get used to going back 2 plays, why don't we consider going back 3 plays? Or 4?"
Well now you're being absurd. What I suggested was just enough time to give the replay a chance to be seen & acted upon. Even with a quick snap that should be far less time than it takes the team to run that 2nd play and line up for a 3rd.
There is no perfect system. I don't like the offense being able to cover its tracks, but once the next play has started its time to move on and stop worrying about bad calls.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
Because they are the team trying to "get away with it" rather than earn it. Plus, it's not penalizing them, it is simply not rewarding them for their BS move in those cases where they did it to bypass the rules & fair play.
How blacklistedbully expects every game to go…

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
No. You stop the offense that’s hurrying to the line long enough for the booth to decide to review it or not. During that time you stop the clock to not punish them. This isn’t a timeout so no going to the sideline. It’s just the extra 5-10 seconds the booth usually needs to decide.
This isn’t for every play. This is obvious plays the offense is trying to avoid a review.
EXACTLY!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login