anybody here ever had 4th nerve palsy?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Thought I had it for a while but turned out to be a refraction issue - I have slight vertical double vision. Don’t notice it during the day but do with bright signs at night

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
No but I can give you some good advice. My wife has eye issues and has been dealing with it for about 15 years. We have been to doctors and clinics all over the southeast. Callahan Eye Center at UAB in Birmingham is hands down the best eye clinic east of the Ms and maybe nationwide. Can’t recommend them enough.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
No but I can give you some good advice. My wife has eye issues and has been dealing with it for about 15 years. We have been to doctors and clinics all over the southeast. Callahan Eye Center at UAB in Birmingham is hands down the best eye clinic east of the Ms and maybe nationwide. Can’t recommend them enough.
I second this opinion. My wife also has eye disease and goes to the Callahan Eye Center. I really believe she would be blind right now if not for them.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I had Bell's Palsy once with the droopy one side of the face but it didn't cause me any vision issues.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Definitely go see someone to get evaluated if you haven’t, but a key question in the differential is whether it goes away when you shut one eye. If it’s still there, it’s probably refractive but could be something weird. If it goes away with one eye shut, it could be a lot of things, like palsies, MS, myasthenia, etc.

skip dog

Nov 15, 2005
Yes sir.....I was diagnosed with 4th cranial nerve palsy back in 2015-ish. It is a very weird sensation, but it is very manageable (or at least mine has been). MRI showed a growth on the nerve, but so small, not worth the risk of gamma knife. a lot of research showed that this is common and not indicative of a cancerous growth (or can be caused by a hard hit to the head.

They originally prescribed a Fresnel Prism lens that I had put on my reading glasses on the right eye. That helped with the vision issue, but would always cause a strange and unique sensation that was visual and physical in my head when I would take the fresnel prism on and off.

With time, it has gotten better. The following are what I have done, and the symptoms that show from time to time:
-diet and exercise (I now over eat on healthy food).
-limit TV an hour before bed
-limit screen time
-wear terribly expensive sunglasses with polorized lenses. days with a lot of glare seem to really stress that eye
-unfortunately, night time games / LED stadium lights, really stress that eye bad.....Like, I really think the light show at Dudy noble is cool, but it causes a lot of neurologic visual sensations when they do it......so I just close my eyes.
-when you are tired, take a break. I do a lot of eye exercises, especially when on phone calls. focus on a object 3-4' away for 20 seconds, and then focus on something that is 12-15' away. You will effectively be strengthening the muscle to overcome the nerve affliction/deficiency.
-You will learn, when your vision splits, that there are angles you can position your head and everything comes back together. My vision will split when I am tired still sometimes now, so I position my body, and look to my right, and it all comes together.
-bright lights, and all these people upgraded to LED white interior lights that BLAST the 17 out of the brightness.....is a struggle for me....it seems to just really stress the eyes ability to focus (I guess glare), and I cringe when I go in a home and they don't dim the lights to a reasonable brightness.....in short, high Kelvin LED's (really white) SUCK!!!

* That's my brief.....it really stinks, as I like to read, and when I am tired I want to read, but my eyes just can't pull the words fully together.......for me, it has been very manageable, and rarely now, would I say it prevents me from doing anything, but in the same breath, I know my limits, and I manage all of it to try not to push those limits......point being, unless I told you, you would never know that I was diagnosed with that and have slight vision issues

*also, on the fresnel lens, I used it for a brief period of time to get over it......learning to do eye exercises was the game changer for me

scotchie42

May 26, 2013
Yes sir.....I was diagnosed with 4th cranial nerve palsy back in 2015-ish. It is a very weird sensation, but it is very manageable (or at least mine has been). MRI showed a growth on the nerve, but so small, not worth the risk of gamma knife. a lot of research showed that this is common and not indicative of a cancerous growth (or can be caused by a hard hit to the head.

They originally prescribed a Fresnel Prism lens that I had put on my reading glasses on the right eye. That helped with the vision issue, but would always cause a strange and unique sensation that was visual and physical in my head when I would take the fresnel prism on and off.

With time, it has gotten better. The following are what I have done, and the symptoms that show from time to time:
-diet and exercise (I now over eat on healthy food).
-limit TV an hour before bed
-limit screen time
-wear terribly expensive sunglasses with polorized lenses. days with a lot of glare seem to really stress that eye
-unfortunately, night time games / LED stadium lights, really stress that eye bad.....Like, I really think the light show at Dudy noble is cool, but it causes a lot of neurologic visual sensations when they do it......so I just close my eyes.
-when you are tired, take a break. I do a lot of eye exercises, especially when on phone calls. focus on a object 3-4' away for 20 seconds, and then focus on something that is 12-15' away. You will effectively be strengthening the muscle to overcome the nerve affliction/deficiency.
-You will learn, when your vision splits, that there are angles you can position your head and everything comes back together. My vision will split when I am tired still sometimes now, so I position my body, and look to my right, and it all comes together.
-bright lights, and all these people upgraded to LED white interior lights that BLAST the 17 out of the brightness.....is a struggle for me....it seems to just really stress the eyes ability to focus (I guess glare), and I cringe when I go in a home and they don't dim the lights to a reasonable brightness.....in short, high Kelvin LED's (really white) SUCK!!!

* That's my brief.....it really stinks, as I like to read, and when I am tired I want to read, but my eyes just can't pull the words fully together.......for me, it has been very manageable, and rarely now, would I say it prevents me from doing anything, but in the same breath, I know my limits, and I manage all of it to try not to push those limits......point being, unless I told you, you would never know that I was diagnosed with that and have slight vision issues

*also, on the fresnel lens,or am reading nig I used it for a brief period of time to get over it......learning to do eye exercises was the game changer for me
Thank you very much. My experience is much like yours. I mainly suffer from it at night, especially when looking at a bright light in the distance or when I am tired and am watching TV or looking at a computer screen.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login