Anyone concerned Jans doesn’t have an extension yet?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
A package trade to who? Kiffins staff?
No, lifetime contracts. That’s the only logical explanation for not announcing a new contract for Jans already. These type contracts take much longer to work out than the standard extensions. The season ended Thursday afternoon, and here it is, Monday morning, and we’ve heard nothing. The extended silence is very telling. Our AD was trying to keep this under covered wagon, but details are leaking out too sooner. We should’ve seen that coming.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Our AD was trying to keep this under covered wagon, but details are leaking out too sooner. We should’ve seen that coming.

Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Can’t blame Jans for looking around. He took us to back-to-back NCAAT in his first two seasons while receiving half *** support. It’s gotta be frustrating when our ****** baseball team will play in front of 11k on a cold day in February against Lipscomb but the Hump is half empty majority of the year.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Can’t blame Jans for looking around. He took us to back-to-back NCAAT in his first two seasons while receiving half *** support. It’s gotta be frustrating when our ****** baseball team will play in front of 11k on a cold day in February against Lipscomb but the Hump is half empty majority of the year.
This is a prime example of why fan experience matters. Going to Dudy Noble is an experience. You can literally make a day out of it. Basketball is 2 hours and then you are leaving and we don't have the tradition like baseball.

And this coming from a guy that views basketball > baseball.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
We get what we deserve. In our case, that's not usually a good thing.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
This is a prime example of why fan experience matters. Going to Dudy Noble is an experience. You can literally make a day out of it. Basketball is 2 hours and then you are leaving and we don't have the tradition like baseball.

And this coming from a guy that views basketball > baseball. With Jans,
That’s fair. Poor leadership within the AD in regards to basketball since the Stansbury era. In particular, Cohen essentially did everything in his power during his tenure to elevate the baseball program while minimizing basketball. Now we are here.

Edited to add: we should give Cohen credit for hiring Jans, it’s the best decision he made in all sports while AD. But we shouldn’t gloss over the incompetence in regards to basketball gameday operations, Hump renovation, and overall fan experience.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That’s fair. Poor leadership within the AD in regards to basketball since the Stansbury era. In particular, Cohen essentially did everything in his power during his tenure to elevate the baseball program while minimizing basketball. Now we are here.

Edited to add: we should give Cohen credit for hiring Jans, it’s the best decision he made in all sports while AD. But we shouldn’t gloss over the incompetence in regards to basketball gameday operations, Hump renovation, and overall fan experience.
Cohen made some very good coaching hires. He also made some very bad coaching hires. Jans was probably the best, considering his other good hires were in minor sports.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021

It's been 16 years since we won an NCAA Tournament game and 28 years since we made it to the second weekend.
Since basketball's last win in the tournament, the baseball program has advanced to 7 Supers (sweet 16 equivalent), 4 College World Series, 2 National Finals and 1 National Championship.

These 2 programs are NOT the same. If basketball was performing at the level of the baseball program, then the Hump would slammed packed for every game. Blaming the "****** baseball team" on basketball's "half *** support" is ridiculous.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Cohen made some very good coaching hires. He also made some very bad coaching hires. Jans was probably the best, considering his other good hires were in minor sports.
You don't consider Leach a good hire?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

No one wants to hear this, but the real battle for MSU's soul is basketball vs. FOOTBALL, not baseball. Baseball is and will continue to be a major part of our athletic department - it won't be de-emphasized so you may as well get rid of that thinking.

We are going to have to make some hard decisions regarding how we allocate our resources, both school and NIL, within football and basketball. Fan support is average at best in both. And the first thing to do is get real about what we can and can't do. So - you tell me, can we compete at the highest level in football? Basketball? I'll make this easy for you, one of those answers is no and the other is yes. So that's the starting point.

msudawglb

Aug 24, 2013
It's been 16 years since we won an NCAA Tournament game and 28 years since we made it to the second weekend.
Since basketball's last win in the tournament, the baseball program has advanced to 7 Supers (sweet 16 equivalent), 4 College World Series, 2 National Finals and 1 National Championship.

These 2 programs are NOT the same. If basketball was performing at the level of the baseball program, then the Hump would slammed packed for every game. Blaming the "****** baseball team" on basketball's "half *** support" is ridiculous.
Thank you! Excellent point!

Reactions: 17itdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
No one wants to hear this, but the real battle for MSU's soul is basketball vs. FOOTBALL, not baseball. Baseball is and will continue to be a major part of our athletic department - it won't be de-emphasized so you may as well get rid of that thinking.

We are going to have to make some hard decisions regarding how we allocate our resources, both school and NIL, within football and basketball. Fan support is average at best in both. And the first thing to do is get real about what we can and can't do. So - you tell me, can we compete at the highest level in football? Basketball? I'll make this easy for you, one of those answers is no and the other is yes. So that's the starting point.
I don't know. The real answer is probably neither, other than a catch lightning in a bottle season here and there. We've had 2 legitimately good basketball seasons in the last 60 years - 95 & 96. We've had 3 legitimately good football seasons in that time - 99, 10 & 14.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I don't know. The real answer is probably neither, other than a catch lightning in a bottle season here and there. We've had 2 legitimately good basketball seasons in the last 60 years - 95 & 96. We've had 3 legitimately good football seasons in that time - 99, 10 & 14.

You don’t consider winning the SEC championship in ‘91 or ‘04 good seasons for basketball? Probably should include 2002 in that as well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well we haven't really supported either in that time, except for once we started winning, which anybody can do, we aren't special there. But over time there's certainly more of a basketball culture there, moreso than football. And also, if you consider those 3 football seasons the standard, where we were basically top 15-20 teams, then you'll need to also add in 1991, 2002, 2003 and 2004 to our good basketball seasons.

My dad said it best. "We may not have a great basketball culture, but there's not an absence of one either." Football - we have nothing. And once we start to develop one, we toss it out.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

I agree that it’s not that simple to just blame basketball’s issue 100% on baseball. We made some major missteps in hoops under Byrne and Stricklin that set us back basically a full decade.

I do think Ben Howland got the shaft in some ways from our athletic department, though, specifically the 2019 team that was a 5 seed in the NCAAT. And several other of his teams that were not as good but competitive enough to be on the bubble got similar treatment. You’re never going to get people invested in a sport when a school treats it like a number four priority, which is exactly what we did during the Howland era. And I say that as someone who was critical of Howland on many occasions.

Reactions: BirdPuppy

patdog

May 28, 2007
You don’t consider winning the SEC championship in ‘91 or ‘04 good seasons for basketball? Probably should include 2002 in that as well.
91, no. That was a 20-9 team that finished tied for 2nd in SEC (won title because KY was on probation) and lost in the 1st round of the NCAAT. I agree about 04 even though they lost in 2nd round. 02 lost in 2nd round and finished ranked 17. That's a good season for us, but really nothing special

Reactions: 17itdawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
91, no. That was a 20-9 team that finished tied for 2nd in SEC (won title because KY was on probation) and lost in the 1st round of the NCAAT. I agree about 04 even though they lost in 2nd round. 02 lost in 2nd round and finished ranked 17. That's a good season for us, but really nothing special

I was not even alive for ‘91 so I can’t speak too much on that but being our first NCAAT team in almost 30 years has to count for something.

The 2002 team broke a six year tourney drought (and was a 3 seed), won the SEC tourney, and set the school record for wins. That’s a special season, don’t let the second round tourney exit mask that. Especially given the circumstances of that loss.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Back to the original question, there just aren’t many potential landing spots for Jans that make a ton of sense right now, barring a surprise push from Louisville or a last minute surprise opening. Oklahoma State or SMU, I dunno maybe? Anywhere else is a clear downgrade for him.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We've had 2 consecutive 8-10 conference seasons (44%), this one a season which we supposedly had all the pieces in place. We lost to freakin Southern U, at HOME this year. We've had 2 consecutive "1 & done" games in March Madness, a blowout 18 point loss this year. Jans followed 2 decades of inept basketball here, we're only 4-9 in the past 23 YEARS in NCAA's.

Face it, that sounds pretty "half ***" , not much about that excites fans

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Anytime we have won a regular season SEC championship, that's a really big deal that doesn't happen often for most schools. For instance, the Rebs have NEVER won an SEC championship in basketball. We have won 6, including 1991 and 2004. That's something to be very PROUD of.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I was not even alive for ‘91 so I can’t speak too much on that but being our first NCAAT team in almost 30 years has to count for something.

The 2002 team broke a six year tourney drought (and was a 3 seed), won the SEC tourney, and set the school record for wins. That’s a special season, don’t let the second round tourney exit mask that. Especially given the circumstances of that loss.
It was a good season FOR US. But in terms of being a truly competitive program, not so much.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Jeez, the season hasn't even been over a week yet.
Yea, I'm much more worried about getting a contract with Hubbard right now, as he is the one that is going to have a ton of people calling him immediately.

Jans is a good coach and I think there is going to be a time where he is going to get a lot of calls. But even though making it to the tournament last year was an outstanding job and getting this year was a good job, the 0-2 tournament record is probably going to limit his opportunities for this year. The places that are clearly a step up are going to want to hire somebody with tournament success. Even if their AD is a basketball guy and understands there's a lot of luck in a 1 and done tourney and thinks Jans has done an incredible job at state, the AD has to answer to boosters and fans and Jans's tournament resume and questions regarding his recruiting are going to keep him from being exciting to the places that are a clear upgrade.

Now if he makes it to the tournament next year and gets us to the sweet sixteen, he's going to get some calls. If he makes it to the tourney as a 7 seed or better and makes it to the sweet 16, we are going to be depending on some luck as far as what jobs come up and what other coaches are available, or some loyalty from Jans that usually isn't present with coaches, for us to keep him.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yea, I'm much more worried about getting a contract with Hubbard right now, as he is the one that is going to have a ton of people calling him immediately.

Jans is a good coach and I think there is going to be a time where he is going to get a lot of calls. But even though making it to the tournament last year was an outstanding job and getting this year was a good job, the 0-2 tournament record is probably going to limit his opportunities for this year. The places that are clearly a step up are going to want to hire somebody with tournament success. Even if their AD is a basketball guy and understands there's a lot of luck in a 1 and done tourney and thinks Jans has done an incredible job at state, the AD has to answer to boosters and fans and Jans's tournament resume and questions regarding his recruiting are going to keep him from being exciting to the places that are a clear upgrade.

Now if he makes it to the tournament next year and gets us to the sweet sixteen, he's going to get some calls. If he makes it to the tourney as a 7 seed or better and makes it to the sweet 16, we are going to be depending on some luck as far as what jobs come up and what other coaches are available, or some loyalty from Jans that usually isn't present with coaches, for us to keep him.
What sucks is that even when we came out and supported in a big way, like Vic and the women, he still left us. However, that was probably a little bit of bad luck with him being from Texas, and also us not winning that 2018 title. He might have stayed a good bit longer had that happened.

But either way, yes, we better get out and support men's basketball early and often. That means filling the Hump up in December too, not just SEC games when we're decent. Our fans don't seem to understand this. I don't really know if Jans has a 'home' school or not, but I also don't know if he's a straight mercenary like Danny. But we need to be ready for either scenario.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
What sucks is that even when we came out and supported in a big way, like Vic and the women, he still left us. However, that was probably a little bit of bad luck with him being from Texas, and also us not winning that 2018 title. He might have stayed a good bit longer had that happened.

But either way, yes, we better get out and support men's basketball early and often. That means filling the Hump up in December too, not just SEC games when we're decent. Our fans don't seem to understand this. I don't really know if Jans has a 'home' school or not, but I also don't know if he's a straight mercenary like Danny. But we need to be ready for either scenario.
If we have a coach that Texas wants, we are rarely going to keep them. The only reason we may have had a chance with Vic is that it's a minor sport. If it were football or men's basketball, nobody would be talking about ways Cohen could have screwed it up. It would have just been obvious that if Texas wanted to pay, at the end of the day all we can do is run up the price.

We should get out and support men's basketball because there have been too few years where we've had a good team to cheer, and even fewer years where we've had a good team that looked well coached to cheer for.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Re-recruiting your coach was bad enough but now having to re-recruit your best players every year is ridiculous. We are simply not built for this era and I think it levels out the playing field somewhat regarding SEC dominance in football. Bad all the way around....get off my lawn *****

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

On that, I suppose we could allow fans to bring in coolers with beer and mount smokers in the Hump right by their seats. That's about what it sounds like would make for that dude experience.

Of course if they did that, I'll be damned if I'm gonna feed a visiting Kentucky team or fan.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login