Anyone else embarrassed to see our ranking in the SEC All Sports Standings?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not nearly as embarrassed as Auburn and South Carolina should be.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
John Cohen doing work!
Seriously though, we don't even have some of the sports, so we're always going to be at the bottom.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
2021 can't wait to see 2022! Vandy won the SEC Golf Championship.
https://floridagators.com/news/2021...-today-network-sec-mens-all-sports-title.aspx
I really don’t give a ****. Tennessee was 4th in mens. They had the same record as us in football, lost first round in basketball and went 2 and Que in Omaha. I’ll take the Natty and they can have the NCAA appearance in basketball. And yes I am aware there are other men’s sports but I must have missed all of your post critiqueing Golf and Tennis.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yep. This aggregate is kind of like a track meet. To be in the mix you need to at least not average in a zero in a number of sports. I can tell you from my educational experience that zeros hurt more than 100s help.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's calculated based on points scored divided by points available in the sports you participate in. Theoretically, we could sponsor one sport, win the SEC, and finish 1st in the overall ranking.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Also Alabama is second. With a national championship in football, a sweet sixteen and a regional appearance.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Nope, not at all. Couldn't care any less about the sports we don't participate in that add to the totals of the others i.e. gymnastics, swimming, diving, men's cross country and equestrian. I'd much rather spend the money on more popular sports than spread it thinner

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I really don’t give a ****. Tennessee was 4th in mens. They had the same record as us in football, lost first round in basketball and went 2 and Que in Omaha. I’ll take the Natty and they can have the NCAA appearance in basketball. And yes I am aware there are other men’s sports but I must have missed all of your post critiqueing Golf and Tennis.

There are sports other than football, basketball, and baseball? Frisbee Golf? Bass Fishin'?

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Surely the article linked above is last years, prior to the NC? If not, damn, we didn't get much run out of the national title in a big 3 sport.

hogfan14

Mar 28, 2013
Arkansas had the same record as us in football. Went to the elite 8 in basketball and did not make Omaha. I’d still take the Natty.

If you go by conference record only I guess, but Arkansas had a harder draw from the East.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
We should have had a better football record due to the flop on 4th down. Official that saw it should have over ruled the official behind the play. :)

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
It's calculated based on points scored divided by points available in the sports you participate in. Theoretically, we could sponsor one sport, win the SEC, and finish 1st in the overall ranking.
Why are people downvoting this strictly factual post? Do 2 people just hate Patdog?

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Also Alabama is second. With a national championship in football, a sweet sixteen and a regional appearance.

Bama didn't win the national championship in football. Now they were in the game, so yeah pretty good.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Yes, I wear the apparel, donate to the programs and am an Alumni. The only way I could be more involved is to suit up. I want the best for my school.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
2021 can't wait to see 2022! Vandy won the SEC Golf Championship.
https://floridagators.com/news/2021...-today-network-sec-mens-all-sports-title.aspx

Few things here:

1. This is almost a year old.

2. I tried finding the sport by sport breakdown on this, but when I search for "2020-21 USA Today Network Southeastern Conference All-Sports", the only sites reporting this are:
floridagators.com
gatorsports.com
gatorswire.usatoday.com
florida.rivals.com
dailyadvent.com (which appears to just be a news aggregator. the picture in the story is Texas vs Texas A&M and Obama was in his first term the last time that was played).

So I'm not sure this is as important as you're making it out to be.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yes, I wear the apparel, donate to the programs and am an Alumni. The only way I could be more involved is to suit up. I want the best for my school.

You really telling me that you're embarrassed to be seen in public in your Mississippi State shirt because of an arbitrary calculated ranking being pumped on floridagators.com?

I don't think anybody at the local Kroger is going to point and laugh at you and say "Hey thar leg humper, I bet finushin' tharteenth in tha 20-21 USA T'day SEC Conference Awl Sparts Titull musta really stung!"

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Well I'm not surprised... because I'm sure we are the lowest in fund raising ... I've made an effort over the last 5 years to improve my Bulldog Club ranking and I have been absolutely amazed at how little money it takes to make huge moves. The Bulldog Club Honor Roll is an embarrassing short list especially given the $5000 annual giving threshold includes seat and club donations

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I was embarrassed to post the results, we've done better in past years

You really telling me that you're embarrassed to be seen in public in your Mississippi State shirt because of an arbitrary calculated ranking being pumped on floridagators.com?

I don't think anybody at the local Kroger is going to point and laugh at you and say "Hey thar leg humper, I bet finushin' tharteenth in tha 20-21 USA T'day SEC Conference Awl Sparts Titull musta really stung!"

I don't think anybody at the local Kroger will even know the results of the SEC all sports standings. I posted it here because I thought some would be interested to see how we stack up against other SEC programs. It is embarrassing to come in dead last in the SEC in any sport IMHO much less next to last in the combined tabulations. Of course, a lot of people on here really only care about the big 3 so it just doesn't matter to them. Conversely, I like to watch and follow most of the sports we compete in. Track and Field is about the only sport that I don't follow even though we have some good athletes.

If you only care about the big 3 I understand your frustration with my post.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Auburn cares

The all sports trophy is awarded during the summer so the next one will come out around July 2022.

Here's what Florida thinks of the all sports results:

[FONT=&quot]Florida will find out Friday if it finishes among the nation's top 10 most successful overall athletic programs for the 37th consecutive season. UF is the only school to rank in the top 10 each year since 1983.

Personally, I think it is important to show the health of your athletic department. It is a metric and as an engineer I like metrics. If you aren't measuring anything how can you tell if you are getting better or worse?

How do you measure the success of an Athletic Director? My suggestion would be to take the money invested in the school's athletic department as a factor combined with the results of this metric to determine if we are getting our money's worth. Arm waving and complaining about a person in a coaching position is worthless in my opinion. They should be judged by their results on the field but that has to be tempered with the money involved. Comparing Leach to Saban is just insane when he has all the money in the world and Leach is on a weight loss budget.

Like I said, if you only care about football, basketball and baseball then all this doesn't matter to you.

[/FONT]

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login