Anyone ever listened to the “Gone South” Podcast series?

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
I found it interesting. Hadn't heard of the Mandeville murder and didn't know many details of the Judge and his wife's murder.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What is it about podcasts and crime, particularly murders? It seems there's way more of those than anything else available

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Season 1 about a murder in Mandeville, LA; Season 2 is about the murder of a judge and wife on the MS Coast in the late 1980’s by ‘The Dixie Mafia’.

Decent if you’re in the market for a new podcast series.
Thanks! On my list now. If you are into audiobooks at all and want to be better informed about modern nation state cyber warfare, give "This is How They Tell me the World Ends" a listen. Our general public is way too undereducated on how serious cybersecurity is and this book gives a great view into the history of it, some really well publicized attacks and where is it today. Heavy on nation state threat actors, general methods and geo political implications, but completely accessible for anybody. No tech understanding required.

Example: The US launched Stuxnet on Iran nuclear centrifuges after Israel insisted they were going to bomb them if something wasn't done about it. Incredible story about how they did it and how sophisticated the attack was.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Season 1 about a murder in Mandeville, LA; Season 2 is about the murder of a judge and wife on the MS Coast in the late 1980’s by ‘The Dixie Mafia’.

Decent if you’re in the market for a new podcast series.
That's crazy...this week I've been working on two design projects in Beau Chene - it's still a very nice development. I wasn't here in Mandeville when the murder went down and locals don't really talk about it. I'm also interested in the Sherry murders podcast, since I was a in high school on the Coast when they occurred and never really understood what had happened at the time. Thanks!

I recently listened to the podcast Knock Knock about the 1990 Labor Day murders in Starkville. It was okay, but I had forgotten that house they were attacked in was down the street from where I lived at the time and was RENTED TO STUDENTS only a few years later!

Reactions: 57stratdawg

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
Finished Season1 yesterday. Really interesting stuff. When it happened, I was in high school about 30 miles away from Mandeville, but I don't remember the events at all.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Thanks! On my list now. If you are into audiobooks at all and want to be better informed about modern nation state cyber warfare, give "This is How They Tell me the World Ends" a listen. Our general public is way too undereducated on how serious cybersecurity is and this book gives a great view into the history of it, some really well publicized attacks and where is it today. Heavy on nation state threat actors, general methods and geo political implications, but completely accessible for anybody. No tech understanding required.

Example: The US launched Stuxnet on Iran nuclear centrifuges after Israel insisted they were going to bomb them if something wasn't done about it. Incredible story about how they did it and how sophisticated the attack was.
I'm currently reading the book, "One Second After," about an EMP attack. In the late 90s/early 2000s, it seems possible EMP blasts were more in the forethought, now I rarely hear about it. Our society is three meals away from chaos.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

Thanks. Bought that audiobook just now.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022

I got into the jack Carr books this summer. His most recent one that came out in the spring included a taste of cyber warfare capability. In an interview promoting the book, he said he interviewed 20 guys in that world. He said of course no one will reveal anything too deeply, but when you interview that many guys, you can piece things together, and the US capability and involvement in cyber warfare is beyond the imagination. He said he dialed it down in the book bc people would have sneered at it as science fiction.

Great series, BTW

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login