Apparently the welfare scandal isn't the only thing plaguing Mississippi

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
From the article: "Doctors recommend testing of pregnant people for the disease."
What did journalists call pregnant people only about minutes ago?

"In another tweet, Dobbs said about 40% of expecting mothers"

Wow. Who is the bigoted, reactionary transphobe who still uses the word "mothers" to refer to pregnant people?

It really is sort of astonishing how syphilis is still an issue, so is gonorrhea, but I suspect the article is intentionally obscuring data on ethnicity and class. I doubt the big tax cut and shuttering of county clinics and hospitals is gonna help. But, there is an absence in this article of expecting people to make good personal decisions about sexuality and pregnancy.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I say we spend millions of tax payer dollars trying to solve this problem. It's not their fault. A total failure of our healthcare system undoubtedly due to systemic racism.

Reactions: tbaydog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have no doubt believing that we have a bunch of morons 17ing around and spreading STDs at an alarming rate and then not taking care of the babies during gestation or after birth, but the 1,000% increase without a mention of the actual numbers makes it extremely likely that this is a click bait stat intended to make it sound crazier than it is.

It did state that there were 2700 cases across the US in 2020, so let's say Mississippi, with it's almost 1% of the US population, if Mississippi produced these cases at three times the rate of the national average, that'd be 81 of them in 2021, and a 1000% increase would mean that's up from I guess 7 or 8 in 2020. At 4 times the rate of the national average, that'd be something like 108 cases and up from 9 or 10 in 2020. If we're just double the rate of average, that's 54 cases, up from around 5 cases in 2020. It's concerning regardless since it should be so easily preventable, but 54 moron pregnant women out of a general population of 3,000,000 is a little less surprising and shocking than a 1,000% increase!11!!!!!1

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So something that should be easily tested for a couple times during pregnancy is causing infant deaths.

Lets reduce medical spending, reduce women's medical care, and reduce convenience then see what happens!
Its a race to the bottom.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So something that should be easily tested for a couple times during pregnancy is causing infant deaths.

Lets reduce medical spending, reduce women's medical care, and reduce convenience then see what happens!
Glad to see you on board with getting rid of certificates of need and allowing independent practice by NPs and PAs.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Planned Parenthood would have done an adequte pre-natal health care for those mother-to-be.
What do you mean by "would have"? Did somebody stop them? Or are you blaming the expectant mothers for not tracking down a planned parenthood clinic?

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Went to med school with a guy whose dad and grandad were family docs in the same clinic. Said one time some young guy came in with an std for not the first time. The grandad gave him medicine and sent him on. The son noticed he had used an outdated treatment, and calmly said to him, ‘you know, dad, current recommendations suggest prescribing XYZ for that infection’.
the grandad said “son, what is gonna happen after I treat him?”
“Well, he’s probably gonna go out and get it again”
“And what’s the most common long term effect if this goes untreated in a male?”
“Well, infertility”
“Exactly”. And he walked away.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

I wonder if medical, or spending on healthcare, has been reduced much. About 75% of federal healthcare dollars in this country are spent on women but I don't know the figure for Mississippi. I agree with having the right institutions but this is also a personal and behavioral issue. We've never had birth control more widely available and easily accessible and it's never been cheaper than it is today. But, still lots of out-of-wedlock pregnancies, something that keeps people in poverty. There's also a behavioral issue involved and I suspect this involves people who are prone to making lots of poor decisions. It's challenging to get a lot of poor, undereducated people to change their behavior.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login