Are the California teams done?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just don’t care anymore? Just looking at this final four, and thinking back in football and baseball. When’s the last time a Cali school made noise? UCLA 2013 baseball? I didn’t look at stats but it seems like a while. I know I’m not 100% on this but it SEEMS this way.

Yeah Washington and Oregon football do some things, with kids from all over. But I haven’t seen such a stark drop in an area like SoCal in a long time. Lot of those croots come to the SEC on this new age. But why can’t they mobilize something there? Where is Cal State Fullerton in baseball? Can UCLA not bottle ANYTHING in basketball? I mean Thatcher Hurd is at LSU….and he left UCLA, a national title caliber program. Crazy.

ETA: Nearly 20 years since UCLA got to a basketball title game. But San Diego State made a run last year, we all know that’s fluky, and UConn destroyed them.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Just don’t care anymore? Just looking at this final four, and thinking back in football and baseball. When’s the last time a Cali school made noise? UCLA 2013 baseball? I didn’t look at stats but it seems like a while. I know I’m not 100% on this but it SEEMS this way.

Yeah Washington and Oregon football do some things, with kids from all over. But I haven’t seen such a stark drop in an area like SoCal in a long time. Lot of those croots come to the SEC on this new age. But why can’t they mobilize something there? Where is Cal State Fullerton in baseball? Can UCLA not bottle ANYTHING in basketball? I mean Thatcher Hurd is at LSU….and he left UCLA, a national title caliber program. Crazy.

ETA: Nearly 20 years since UCLA got to a basketball title game. But San Diego State made a run last year, we all know that’s fluky, and UConn destroyed them.
UCLA is a former blue blood that has an entitled, toxic whiny fan base. They suck. There’s a syndrome where programs that were once great fizzle out, are never satisfied, constantly fire coaches and end up as pure trash. UCLA in hoops is one. Similar to Nebraska in football.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
UCLA is a former blue blood that has an entitled, toxic whiny fan base. They suck. There’s a syndrome where programs that were once great fizzle out, are never satisfied, constantly fire coaches and end up as pure trash. UCLA in hoops is one. Similar to Nebraska in football.
Nebaraska football at least can blame Prop 48, along with Notre Dame. What can UCLA blame? COVID? Erosion of the middle class that plays sports?

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Frank Solich was 58-19 at Nebraska and they Fired him ...

UCLA hates everybody that coaches for them, constant whining and negativity. THey are about to run off Mick Cronin. They hate all their previous coaches.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
USC was a few plays away from the Playoff in 2022. They were 11-1 in the regular season with the one loss at Utah in a nail bitter. They’re also about to have the #1 overall pick in April’s draft.

I could see the case being made UCLA and Stanford have decided they have better things to do.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
USC was a few plays away from the Playoff in 2022. They were 11-1 in the regular season with the one loss at Utah in a nail bitter. They’re also about to have the #1 overall pick in April’s draft.

I could see the case being made UCLA and Stanford have decided they have better things to do.
Let’s not pretend as if USC could have hung with anyone in that playoff. Maybe TCU, but that’s an anomaly. That USC roster was in no shape to win a natty, nor was lucky TCU.

Far cry from the stout teams they had years ago. Like 20 years ago.

I think we are seeing the demographic shift, combined with the concussion scare stuff, come true. Takes years to manifest.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Since UCLA's title in 2013, we've seen:
  • UC Irvine in Omaha in 2014
  • Cal State Fullerton in Omaha in 2015 and 2017
  • UC Santa Barbara in Omaha in 2016
  • Stanford in Omaha in 2022
None of those 5 teams did any better than 1-2 (5th place). It's been a pretty bad decade for California baseball.

In women's basketball, Stanford won it all in 2021 and made the final 4 in 2022.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I watched a YouTube of some guy filling out his bracket. He said a team from the west hasn't won a men's basketball NC in 20 years?

I dont know if that is true but.... holds true this year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I watched a YouTube of some guy filling out his bracket. He said a team from the west hasn't won a men's basketball NC in 20 years?

I dont know if that is true but.... holds true this year.
I just realized San Diego State nearly did in basketball, but that was a total fluke. UConn destroyed them.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
UCLA is part of the California State system and it’s broke. There’s not enough money to support all the programs in that state system. Joining The BIG is going to help the Athletic department but not the University itself.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023

Wasn’t UCLA in final 4 last year or year before?

Reactions: ll Martain ll

widespreadgt

Sep 1, 2023
There's been a California team in Omaha nearly every year since 2010 - (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2021, 2022, 2023) (Only in 2018 & 2019 did a team from California not make it)

It's been rough for them in basketball, but they've done better recently since UCLA made it to the Final Four 2021 and SDSU made it to the National Championship last year.

I don't think SDSU was that much of a fluke last year, they were #14 in Ken Pom.... they just ran into a buzzsaw like everyone else did with UConn this year and last year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
None of those 5 teams did any better than 1-2 (5th place). It's been a pretty bad decade for California baseball.

In women's basketball, Stanford won it all in 2021 and made the final 4 in 2022.
There's been a California team in Omaha nearly every year since 2010 - (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2021, 2022, 2023) (Only in 2018 & 2019 did a team from California not make it)

It's been rough for them in basketball, but they've done better recently since UCLA made it to the Final Four 2021 and SDSU made it to the National Championship last year.

I don't think SDSU was that much of a fluke last year, they were #14 in Ken Pom.... they just ran into a buzzsaw like everyone else did with UConn this year and last year.
They simply aren't doing anything at the clip that they used to. That's the point. No real contenders, and their players seem to be headed out of state. Not even sure if they are a recruiting hotbed anymore.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
there is much more demand to live in California than practically anywhere else in the world. We can crow about politics etc but that’s a fact.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

I have a feeling that Washington and Oregon days of going on a run-in football is over. Big10 is a deferent animal than PAC 12.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
there is much more demand to live in California than practically anywhere else in the world. We can crow about politics etc but that’s a fact.
In the cities, yes. But the segment of society that feels that they need sports is lesser (middle class), and has been moving out for years. I guess there is still a lower class out there that may play.

And that's the point, there's just not as many players as there used to be.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I’d argue that San Diego State wasn’t fluky because their conference was performing better the past several years than others.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Stanford also made the CWS in 2021 and 2023.

We kept them from it in ‘19.

Edit: Arthur noted it first.

Should have read the whole thread first.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Things tend to go in cycles. It's been a bad run for western teams for a while, but it will eventually turn around.

As for UCLA not being in a recruiting hotbed anymore, the 5 counties that touch the SoCal megalopolis have a combined population of around 20 million. There are plenty of recruits there in every sport....and then some.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Frank Solich was 58-19 at Nebraska and they Fired him ...

UCLA hates everybody that coaches for them, constant whining and negativity. THey are about to run off Mick Cronin. They hate all their previous coaches.
That sounds like us.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I could care less what happens to that state. It USED to be a wonderful state to live in, but their elected officials have ruined it. The mentality of the kids from that area no longer moves the needle in big time college football, and it's starting to translate less and less in other sports.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login