Are we just getting old?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Is the NIL just the thing that pushes me into the “back in my day” camp? You take any older population and the b***ch about how things were better in their day. I loved it when getting a Thursday night game was a big deal. The younger people on this board probably find that concept hilarious. The question is will kids coming up roll their eyes when we talk about how NIL has killed college athletics.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
I realize things evolve, and much of that I am ok with. This is happening at warp speed it seems and is chipping away at part of what makes (made) CFB special. I am not giving up hope, but it is certainly an awkward time for the sport.. even college athletics at this point.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t know how old you are and what you consider young… but in general I think most on this board are being stubborn and odd about this NIL and transfer portal. I’m 36… I’m for NIL and fine with the transfer portal. I generally think it’s going to settle down eventually. There is eventually going to be some real data to point to that shows the majority of transfers don’t work out. It’s just new for everyone, including the players, so of course everyone thinks they are automatically going to find themselves in a better situation.

I guarantee there was something about college football that changed from your fathers generation that he hated and the same will happen with the younger generation. People in general don’t adjust to change well, especially when they were happy with status quo.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I don’t know how old you are and what you consider young… but in general I think most on this board are being stubborn and odd about this NIL and transfer portal. I’m 36… I’m for NIL and fine with the transfer portal. I generally think it’s going to settle down eventually. There is eventually going to be some real data to point to that shows the majority of transfers don’t work out. It’s just new for everyone, including the players, so of course everyone thinks they are automatically going to find themselves in a better situation.

I guarantee there was something about college football that changed from your fathers generation that he hated and the same will happen with the younger generation. People in general don’t adjust to change well, especially when they were happy with status quo.
I’m 45. And that last paragraph says much more poetically what I was trying to say.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I realize things evolve, and much of that I am ok with. This is happening at warp speed it seems and is chipping away at part of what makes (made) CFB special. I am not giving up hope, but it is certainly an awkward time for the sport.. even college athletics at this point.
Once mega tv contracts got introduced the college football model was not sustainable.

Coaches, ADs, conference commish were all getting wads of money while the players were still just getting a scholarship. Not downplaying a scholarship but college football became a billion dollar industry with the talent not getting an increase in that growth.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Once mega tv contracts got introduced the college football model was not sustainable.

Coaches, ADs, conference commish were all getting wads of money while the players were still just getting a scholarship. Not downplaying a scholarship but college football became a billion dollar industry with the talent not getting an increase in that growth.
That’s the thing. I can’t argue against NIL. It makes sense if you believe in capitalism. At the same time I still hate it.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Is the NIL just the thing that pushes me into the “back in my day” camp? You take any older population and the b***ch about how things were better in their day. I loved it when getting a Thursday night game was a big deal. The younger people on this board probably find that concept hilarious. The question is will kids coming up roll their eyes when we talk about how NIL has killed college athletics.
Let THEM grab ahold, and pay for it!

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I have no issue with the NIL, I remember my Dad hated Free Agency, he's 80 now but loves the NFL and MLB.

This is just another case of Free Agency and as always the money will get the high profile players. Let's just hope we're the Tampa Bay Rays because we don't have the money to compete with the New York Yankees.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Well, the introduction of the forward pass was a shock to the system, and some claimed it would ruin football. It seems to have worked out okay.

As a state fan I wasn’t aware the forward pass was a thing until just a few years ago

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Back in my day, we didn't have social media and message boards. We had to scream at the TV, the one without a remote and few televised games, and go outside to blow off steam. So let me tell you what's wrong with this generation that won't get off my lawn and college football. They needed to be beaten unmercifully as kids instead of given time out and participation trophies. Wait, didn't adults start the tradition of giving kids participation trophies? Damn.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The College Sports model is unsustainable. It is still a non profit business, that relies primarily on generous donations while also generating incredible sums of money (in some sports). It's always been crazy, but now it is crazier.

I have no problem at all with NIL licensing in general. Bryce Young is out there doing commercials, endorsing products, and getting paid. Good for him. What I don't like is the use of NIL payments as an excuse to just give players money without actually utilizing their name, image, or likeness in a profitable way. Outside of the advertising realm, we are just counting on the generosity of wealthy fans to make payments to players, with almost no control over who is getting paid and how much. And very little transparency.

I've always thought the players deserved a piece of the pie, but it shouldn't have been a very large piece. The expenses for the entire Athletic Department still exceed the profits from football and basketball.

The transfer portal is another issue. I liked the idea of making players sit out a year after transferring, but the only justification for it was to protect the best interests of the sport. I'm no longer sure the players should be concerned with that.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
One of my favorite memories happened after the Thursday night game when we beat Florida at home but lost "Sleepy" Robinson.

Rocking game and crowd on TV
Gorgeous blue-eyed brunette
Shots of Gold Cuervo paired with
Salt/squeezed lime juice in various bodily spots

Sadly....
Never saw something like either again

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
uh, no. Me, my Dad, my son in law, my daughters, my Ole Miss and Bama friends all agree this sucks ***.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
One of my favorite memories happened after the Thursday night game when we beat Florida at home but lost "Sleepy" Robinson.

Rocking game and crowd on TV
Gorgeous blue-eyed brunette
Shots of Gold Cuervo paired with
Salt/squeezed lime juice in various bodily spots

Sadly....
Never saw something like either again
Man, when I pulled out the gold Cuervo in college I felt like I was Rockefeller

John Barton.sixpack

Apr 30, 2016

The problem is that the players are still not paid out of the massive revenue that college football generates. NIL is just another expense to the fans.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
nothing to do with the NIL but i used to love Thursday night games. one of my favorite Thursday memories was back in 1992 when we beat florida all up and down the field. this was florida at their peak, with a top candidate for the Heisman , until that game. 30 years ago.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
That’s the thing. I can’t argue against NIL. It makes sense if you believe in capitalism. At the same time I still hate it.
I bet you feel about like I do about it. I’m theory I like it and support it. I support anybody being able to make money off their name or skill set. But what I hate is how NIL is being carried out… basically crowd sourced. It’s bull ****. If wal mart wants to give the QB of Arkansas a **** ton of money to advertise for wal mart, I got no problem with that. That is how NIL should be working.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
College football as we have known it is quickly dying. If dramatic action is not taken quickly it’s going to be gone. I have been a very passionate fan and alumni for a very long time, but at this point part of me just wants to say pull the plug and get it over with.

Reactions: 60sdog

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I bet you feel about like I do about it. I’m theory I like it and support it. I support anybody being able to make money off their name or skill set. But what I hate is how NIL is being carried out… basically crowd sourced. It’s bull ****. If wal mart wants to give the QB of Arkansas a **** ton of money to advertise for wal mart, I got no problem with that. That is how NIL should be working.
Bingo

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

There is some living data with longevity that proves free agency every single year isn’t great.

you can be 20 to 80. Doesn’t matter. Either you are smart enough to learn from history and data or you aren’t.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don't consider myself old, but I do remember watching Apollo 11 and every mission after that on tv as a little boy. I still roll out of bed at 4:00 A.M and hit the gym. I hit the weights hard. I am talking free weight. Very few machines, only for back and triceps. I can talk to Gen X, Y, Z, Babie Boomers and the WWII generation and relate to them. There is something they know that I don't just like there are things I know they don't. In person I have always been able to connect with people from every race, gender and age. It's a gift that God blessed me with, and it has really helped in my career. I have accepted everyone has their own point of view. I am good with that.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
The College Sports model is unsustainable. It is still a non profit business, that relies primarily on generous donations while also generating incredible sums of money (in some sports). It's always been crazy, but now it is crazier.

I have no problem at all with NIL licensing in general. Bryce Young is out there doing commercials, endorsing products, and getting paid. Good for him. What I don't like is the use of NIL payments as an excuse to just give players money without actually utilizing their name, image, or likeness in a profitable way. Outside of the advertising realm, we are just counting on the generosity of wealthy fans to make payments to players, with almost no control over who is getting paid and how much. And very little transparency.

I've always thought the players deserved a piece of the pie, but it shouldn't have been a very large piece. The expenses for the entire Athletic Department still exceed the profits from football and basketball.

The transfer portal is another issue. I liked the idea of making players sit out a year after transferring, but the only justification for it was to protect the best interests of the sport. I'm no longer sure the players should be concerned with that.
Post of the Day with the exception that Athletic Department expenses are high because of outrageous salaries paid to staff. Millions of dollars to coach a game.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The question is will kids coming up roll their eyes when we talk about how NIL has killed college athletics.
The question is .... will the current and future students even buy a ticket, go to the game and support nil after graduation. My quick answer is no. They'll watch on tv and entertain themselves in other ways. Travel ball, trips, etc.

I'd enjoy seeing the stats on season ticket holders, BC members and BI contributors. I know older alumni generally have more disposable income. However we graduate larger alumni classes each year. So.... why is the general seating so empty each home game? I have a feeling younger alumni just aren't buying tickets and therefore won't contribute to any BC or NIl in the future.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
nothing to do with the NIL but i used to love Thursday night games. one of my favorite Thursday memories was back in 1992 when we beat florida all up and down the field. this was florida at their peak, with a top candidate for the Heisman , until that game. 30 years ago.
That was a great game for us and a novelty at the time. Our first Thursday night game, but Florida wasn’t at their “peak” at that point. They were good and got even better in the mid - late 90’s

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I don’t know about the rest or your post. But if you want the answer to your original question, just look at the Bleeping Words thread. A lot of us are 40 something going on 13.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
For me it was seeing what this new system was going to do to CFB tradition. But I was never a collegiate athlete.

You don’t know what it’s like, they said. We deserve better, and a piece of the money pie, they said.

Fair enough. Having not played college sports, perhaps I should stay in my lane and shuttie. Now that the chickens are coming home to roost and even former players are calling out shenanigans, BS, soft players, what happened to school/team pride-etc, I shall continue to shuttie while happily voting with my money and time into something else, knowing damn well that we were right after all.

Sometimes things have to go splat before anyone thinks or listens. Popcorn time. Burn baby burn.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021

Bingo, about as simple as that. At 66 I've seen most of at least "the modern evolution" of the game and the path to this started with the 1984 OK/GA lawsuit. We all certainly loved the out come (watched a lot of B10 football back in the day and not because I wanted to) and 40 years later here we are with a premium on live sports. Not sure what can be done at this point but at 66 I've also stopped worrying about it. It will just be "different".

Nov 25, 2019
I don't consider myself old, but I do remember watching Apollo 11 and every mission after that on tv as a little boy. I still roll out of bed at 4:00 A.M and hit the gym. I hit the weights hard. I am talking free weight. Very few machines, only for back and triceps. I can talk to Gen X, Y, Z, Babie Boomers and the WWII generation and relate to them. There is something they know that I don't just like there are things I know they don't. In person I have always been able to connect with people from every race, gender and age. It's a gift that God blessed me with, and it has really helped in my career. I have accepted everyone has their own point of view. I am good with that.
how old are you?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I don’t think it’s about being “old.” I’m in my 30s and I don’t like it either. It’s worrisome that the competitive balance of the game, which was already out of whack, has further shifted toward 8-10 schools. Can you imagine being interested in the NFL if there was no salary cap and every player was an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year?

There was also something special about the old amateur model that’s gone now. On game days you might tell your buddy, “You see that guy? He had offers from Miami, Michigan State, and Auburn.” The implication being that he CHOSE to come to Starkville, walk the same streets that you walked, sit in the same classrooms, eat at the same restaurants, and enjoy the same traditions. Maybe it was always a fantasy, but I feel like there was at least some truth to it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login