Arkansas beat us because they are tougher than us

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Starting to realize that. We are a talented team. We do have a limit on how tough we will play someone to man out a win though.

Road games are tough. Auburn lost at Arkansas last night. The crowd is a big big factor at Bud Walton.

Takes both talent and toughness to win a regular season road game or a tournament game. We had both in the 2003/2004 season - we won every single road game.

We REALLY had both in 1996 Final Four run. Lots of talent and Dampier in the middle.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
This team doesn’t have a Brandon Vincent, Charles Rhodes or Russell Walters on it.. also it doesn’t seem to have a leader on the floor.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
no-what we don't have is a finisher. No go to guy.. a get the hell out of the way and give the ball to me guy. we have 13 who thinks he is Labron but is a TO or miss shot waiting to happen. We have nobody that can make a 3 when you need one. Tough-I think we are tough enough--clutch is what we are not.

Feb 12, 2013
Hm, must be nice. Wonder what could be done to make the Hump bump again? I'm sure our Athletic dept has been working hard on improving this the past 10 years.*

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I would be shocked if he went to Louisville.

Wouldn't that at best be a lateral move? Not to mention Louisville basketball is always going to be little brother, whereas at Arkansas he's King Dingaling.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
They had 20K+ in BWA last night, a record crowd. Twice as many as the Hump can hold. Add the magnitude of the game and the opponent, you got an electric atmosphere. When the Hump is full, it gets loud, too.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
This team doesn’t have a Brandon Vincent, Charles Rhodes or Russell Walters on it.. also it doesn’t seem to have a leader on the floor.

Also, we are WAY too limited on 3 point shooting. Not being able to do much from behind the arc puts you at a significant disadvantage these days. I bet the team we have would be a 7 seed or better in the NCAA tournament if we still had DJ Stewart.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Arkansas isn't a pretty team by any means. That aren't even that talented. They just out tough you.

We do look pretty but not tough at times. Tolus first game back he looked tough. We played tough at Rupp, but couldn't maintain it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Wouldn't that at best be a lateral move? Not to mention Louisville basketball is always going to be little brother, whereas at Arkansas he's King Dingaling.
No way. Louisville has a huge basketball following/tradition. Reminds me a lot of MSU baseball as far as the loyal fan support and gameday atmosphere. Yes, they were hurt by the Pitino scandals but if they hired the right coach they'd be right back in the mix.

Solid step above Arkansas. You might say they are Auburn football - they aren't the most dominant program out there, but they are in the neighborhood and have support, both with fans and corporate.

Sep 15, 2009
Starting to realize that. We are a talented team. We do have a limit on how tough we will play someone to man out a win though.

Road games are tough. Auburn lost at Arkansas last night. The crowd is a big big factor at Bud Walton.

Takes both talent and toughness to win a regular season road game or a tournament game. We had both in the 2003/2004 season - we won every single road game.

We REALLY had both in 1996 Final Four run. Lots of talent and Dampier in the middle.

Seems like a common thread for all of Howland's teams. Every year teams beat us just due to being more physical and tougher.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I'm biased on this topic, but Matthews is a leader on the floor, when Howland comes to his senses and puts him on the floor. Just watch him. He's always getting people into the right spots. He's really good most of the time on defense. He rebounds the basketball. He can relieve on ball pressure on our guards by handling the ball some.

hogfan14

Mar 28, 2013
No way. Louisville has a huge basketball following/tradition.

So does Arkansas really, it's just been longer since they were in the national conversation outside of last season. A lot like Tennessee football I guess. Not many programs can draw 20,300 people to a game though. Plus Muss has a top 5 class coming in next year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login