Arkansas State

patdog

May 28, 2007
Also, if anyone thinks Ron Polk gives one flying f*** about Mississippi State baseball, remember this is the guy he threw a fit about us not hiring. Can you imagine where MSU baseball would be now if Greg Byrne didn’t have some balls?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Ark. State gets about a few hundred fans per game at best. Their facilities rival an average high school team. In essence, as the other poster stated......they just don't care about baseball. It's a shame, Jonesboro could be a real nice college town. U.of Arkansas keeps them down in every way. Wish MSU could be located in a town like Jonesboro.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Also, if anyone thinks Ron Polk gives one flying f*** about Mississippi State baseball, remember this is the guy he threw a fit about us not hiring. Can you imagine where MSU baseball would be now if Greg Byrne didn’t have some balls?

About where it is now...***

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I think most people would agree that John Cohen was the right hire at that time, even though he become an Arnold Benedict and an IB 17head.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ark. State gets about a few hundred fans per game at best. Their facilities rival an average high school team. In essence, as the other poster stated......they just don't care about baseball. It's a shame, Jonesboro could be a real nice college town. U.of Arkansas keeps them down in every way. Wish MSU could be located in a town like Jonesboro.
I wish we did that to USM. But we are too busy fighting Ole Miss.

This is not me hating on USM either. We just don't have the resources for a third school to be a power. We don't even have it for the 2 SEC schools. It's a smart strategy by Arkansas. Most Arkansas State graduates are also Arkansas fans. Similar to UAB/Troy/South Alabama graduates as far as Bama/Auburn. But nope, here in MS, all the USM folks hate State and Ole Miss, and further, end up rooting for LSU or whoever.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Sounds like Raffo is being lazy and not wanting to bet the bushes and recruit hard. If he's happy with this current results and the not worried about his job, then good on him....i guess?

I'm assuming he makes $150kish and it's probably cheap to live there? So he's happy.

Nevertheless, we dodged a huge bullet.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
That's kinda common amongst us human types.

Yep, we are wired to do what we THINK is in our best interest at all times.....even the worse thing possible is perceived at the time as what's best for us.

Obviously excluding people with mental health or psychologic disorders.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I wish we did that to USM. But we are too busy fighting Ole Miss.

This is not me hating on USM either. We just don't have the resources for a third school to be a power. We don't even have it for the 2 SEC schools. It's a smart strategy by Arkansas. Most Arkansas State graduates are also Arkansas fans. Similar to UAB/Troy/South Alabama graduates as far as Bama/Auburn. But nope, here in MS, all the USM folks hate State and Ole Miss, and further, end up rooting for LSU or whoever.
My experience is that most USM grads are Ole Miss or MSU fans, some even gawd forbid Bama or LSU fans. Very few of the give a damn about USM athletics.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If we get a new coach next year, he will inherit a better situation than Cohen did. Cohen had anyone who pitched in Jr High or High School on the mound. There was no one on pitching staff. The new coach will have the portal. If the Portal was around when Cohen came to State it would have turned around a lot faster than it did. I still hope the current coach turns it around but from what I have seen I don't think he can do it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
My experience is that most USM grads are Ole Miss or MSU fans, some even gawd forbid Bama or LSU fans. Very few of the give a damn about USM athletics.
Yeah. Goat's still living in the 1980s on this one. USM's never going to be a power and they know it. Doesn't matter if we beat them down further or not. And playing them occasionally in football and once a year in baseball isn't really doing anything for them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah. Goat's still living in the 1980s on this one. USM's never going to be a power and they know it. Doesn't matter if we beat them down further or not. And playing them occasionally in football and once a year in baseball isn't really doing anything for them.
I hope ya'll are right. And yes I admit to living in the 80s, watching them beat us down repeatedly during my childhood.

I am incredibly concerned about playing them the week before the Egg Bowl, when they absolutely will not have our attention. Play them in basketball or baseball, sure. I just don't see the point in football when we have others that are easily available. But I suppose it's the same thing if we play Memphis, Tulane, Troy, South Alabama, UAB or Louisiana Tech. They are all capable of embarrassing us.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
J-Boogie's got it going on. Shoot, they even have a Targets. My guess is they're getting an influx of folks from the new steel mills an hour or so away.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

It seats 1,200 "but can accommodate many more with picnic areas located along both foul lines and the recent addition of the Bartons Baseball Deck located in the right field corner" Yep, looks like any average HS field you run across, worse than some actually....

1679503739774.png

wpmusm

Dec 1, 2014
Most Arkansas State graduates are also Arkansas fans. Similar to UAB/Troy/South Alabama graduates as far as Bama/Auburn. But nope, here in MS, all the USM folks hate State and Ole Miss, and further, end up rooting for LSU or whoever.
The key difference is USM used to play State and Ole Miss regularly in football and were competitive. Most of those schools you listed weren't even FBS until recently. That's what makes Mississippi different than Alabama and Arkansas.

Also, I know "Southern alums are a bunch of LSU and Bama fans" is a meme (and not completely unfounded), but you also need to contend with the fact that 1) the vast majority of Mississippians did not graduate from college (so they have no ties to the two in-state SEC schools), 2) LSU and Alabama are just as close or even closer to most people in Mississippi than State and Ole Miss are, 3) LSU and Alabama have been the two most successful programs in the country over the last 20 years if you're going off national titles. So, it's not surprising they both have a presence in the state.

Basically, there's far, far more people in Mississippi that have never stepped foot in a 4-year college classroom that root for out-of-state SEC schools than there are USM alums that root for them. Think of someone in Bay St. Louis that went to PRCC and roots for LSU or someone around Meridian with a HS education that pulls for Bama.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
UK 17
MSU 3

MSU 16
ARK ST 2

We gave up 1 more run to UK. Sad.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
J-Boogie's got it going on. Shoot, they even have a Targets. My guess is they're getting an influx of folks from the newTh
They have some nice industry close by and the big Post Cereal plant employs a ton of folk and has been there for years. I just wished we had a town the size of Jonesboro (about 3.5x bigger than Starkvegas) and I think that would solve a lot of our ticket-attending issues. Even with the good sized population, they have the Sun Belt and we have the SEC. We just need a lot more industry to support MSU.

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login