Arnett goes 5-7

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Is he back?
If the defense keeps looking like crap I say not. That's why he was hired to keep things together snd keep a decent defense. Still wish we would go get an experienced coach and thank him for this season and move on.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Is he back?
If the defense keeps looking like crap I say not. That's why he was hired to keep things together snd keep a decent defense. Still wish we would go get an experienced coach and thank him for this season and move on.
I'm not sure there is a 5th win even with an improving offense.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Is he back?
Shouldn’t be but i don’t trust AD yet to make any move. We were sold on the idea of continuity and it hasn’t panned out that way so far. If the bowl streak ends, do a real search and start over next season during the supposed upcoming rebuilding year.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
He's going to get a second year, because that is what we do! It's unfortunate and will ultimately just be delaying the inevitable, because if we do not find 6+ wins, we are not going to recruit very well. This will only further the death spiral that we seem to live in (see baseball). We have to be willing to make the tough decisions and pull the trigger when its not working. If we can find 6+ wins then I am all for keeping ZA and having patience for the process, but I fall squarely in the not optimistic crowd.

Reactions: thekimmer

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He's going to get a second year, because that is what we do! It's unfortunate and will ultimately just be delaying the inevitable, because if we do not find 6+ wins, we are not going to recruit very well. This will only further the death spiral that we seem to live in (see baseball). We have to be willing to make the tough decisions and pull the trigger when its not working. If we can find 6+ wins then I am all for keeping ZA and having patience for the process, but I fall squarely in the not optimistic crowd.
Yea if we he makes it to 7 I'll be willing to give home a shot saying that's good for first year. 5-7 from 9 wins is tough even if he is a new coach. But that's our own fault for hiring an inexperienced head coach. Also on him for changing things up. Although offense looked like much of old last night. The defense however, no excuse for it to be this bad. None

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
SEC is so bad though
The sec is mediocre… vandy is bad. We are below mediocre but better than vandy. We are going to need a team to have a bad game while we have a good one. Every sec team we play from here out will be more talented and/or much better coached.

Im not saying it’s impossible for us to win a sec game but I doubt we are favored in a single sec game this year.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Y’all are grasping. If he goes 5-7 he is back.
I agree but I fear it’s just delaying the inevitable when you consider how many seniors are leaving. I’m normally one of the last to call for coach changes, but his situation is unique and should have a shorter leash.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Of course he’s back. This isn’t even a question. He’s back if we go 4-8 too. Maybe not if we go 3-9. Maybe.

Reactions: 60sdog

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yes. He isn't getting canned regardless. Now if I was AD I would be looking thru my list of prospective coaches today. Getting ready just in case. But I'm soured on these guys. Every single one. I feel like either lied to us about this team or they aren't smart enough to evaluate them

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The answer, as it always is with broad hypotheticals such as this - it depends.

If we keep a healthy roster, but only win nailbiters over USM / WMU and then beat UK on a last second field goal in a game where they turn it over to us like 4 or 5 times in their own territory….and we look bad in the other 5 games, then no.

If Rogers, Tulu, and Marks all go down with season ending injuries in the next 2-3 weeks, but we still battle and are competitive against everyone but Bama, beat the cream puffs and take the Egg Bowl, then definitely.

How we look at the end of the season vs. how we look right now will make the answer much more obvious. Its not as simple as just tallying wins / losses against a theoretical baseline. Joe Moorhead already found that out the hard way.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Unless something changes in a major way, which the offense did in this one game, but defense is atrocious, we will not win an SEC game this year. Auburn maybe maybe. We can't beat Kentucky or Ole Miss right now. No chance. Preston, Pickering, Johnson and Bookie are the only guys on defense playing decent that are able to tackle. The offense finally showed up but SC is not a good defense. I was pretty high on the team until the AZ game. They are terrible for some reason. 5 is the ceiling barring a miraculous come to Jesus awakening on D. You can't win giving up 37 points. Every QB we face will look like a Heisman candidate. But yeah....let's tell coach to keep up the good work

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Of course he’s back. This isn’t even a question. He’s back if we go 4-8 too. Maybe not if we go 3-9. Maybe.
I'm telling you, he's getting fired without a doubt at 4-8. 5-7 or 6-6 we'll MSU it into a contract extension. 7 and all is good for him.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I can’t imagine him keeping his job if he goes 0-8 in the sec. Next year is a rebuilding year with so many starters and seniors leaving anyway, and would be the perfect time to get a new coach in to establish and build his program. if you have back to back 0-8 years in conference that might be a hole you can’t get out of.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
How is this even a question? Of course he is back. We hired a mid 30 year old DC with a paper thin resume, the only other place he has coached is SDSU. However made the call on him, Keenum (?) knew there'd be growing pains.

Look at Venables at Oklahoma, he had tons of experience, 10x better resume, went to a better program against much easier competition and he struggled mightily his first year.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Is he back?
This could be our window to can Keenum. He made this hire.

It’s slowly but Shirley become clear to me that he’s the one that puts the IN in “instability”.

patdog

May 28, 2007

It’s slowly but Shirley become clear to me that he’s the one that puts the IN in “instability”.
No it’s not. Keenum needs to be fired for a lot of reasons. But it’s not going to happen.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
No it’s not. Keenum needs to be fired for a lot of reasons. But it’s not going to happen.
I mean…. He’s not gonna fire himself, if that’s what you mean.

IHL couldn’t care less about our athletic prowess. But, Keenum should be on the hot seat and his plastic head should be on the verge of melting.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Is he back?
How many times in the last 25+ years has a P5 coach been fired after one season? Only one I can think of is John L. Smith, and he was hired in the summer due to the Petrino scandal and was basically an interim HC without the title.

Short of a cataclysmic collapse, Arnett is getting Year 2.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
How many times in the last 25+ years has a P5 coach been fired after one season? Only one I can think of is John L. Smith, and he was hired in the summer due to the Petrino scandal and was basically an interim HC without the title.

Short of a cataclysmic collapse, Arnett is getting Year 2.
Arnett wouldn't have this job had not died right before signing day and with the portal. 5 years ago no way in hell do the promote him to full time with that little of experience. We just won the egg bowl and then leach died so keenum snd bracky were emotional and worried about the class falling apart. The problem with that is if we don't finish well we will still lose a bunch of guys to portal.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Arnett wouldn't have this job had not died right before signing day and with the portal. 5 years ago no way in hell do the promote him to full time with that little of experience. We just won the egg bowl and then leach died so keenum snd bracky were emotional and worried about the class falling apart. The problem with that is if we don't finish well we will still lose a bunch of guys to portal.
Regardless of how he got the job, he's not getting fired this year. There's also the fact we didn't have an athletic director then (I'm not sure we have one now).

Reactions: knock him out john

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

The idea that a university president should be fired over athletic hires is too much to process.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'm going to change my opinion on this. Arnett is back no matter what next season. He could not win another game and he's still back.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Is he back?
Yes. But he does not get a repeat performance in 24.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Is he back?
Serious question: What instances are there that anyone is aware of where coaches were canned after just one season for on field performance? If so what was the program and what was the record? The only one that comes immediately to mind for me is Ellis Johnson at southern who went 0-12.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Serious question: What instances are there that anyone is aware of where coaches were canned after just one season for on field performance? If so what was the program and what was the record? The only one that comes immediately to mind for me is Ellis Johnson at southern who went 0-12.
People seem to forget there was no search or hiring process here. This isn't the usual, we can't fire a coach after one year. He should be trying to prove he deserves this opportunity. I hope he does. But this isn't a situation like we've seen before.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
People seem to forget there was no search or hiring process here. This isn't the usual, we can't fire a coach after one year. He should be trying to prove he deserves this opportunity. I hope he does. But this isn't a situation like we've seen before.
That's part of my point. He wasn't hired under normal circumstances. His interim was lifted in a week. No many coaches are hired in the way he was after a coach died. So I feel like this is his true interim period. They just took that tag off for recruiting purposes only. Let him cosch this year while doing a search. If he does great, keep him. If not have your man lined up ready to go at the end of the season

Reactions: MSUDawgs247

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can fire a coach at any time. The questions not can we fire him or even should we fire him. The question is would we fire him. We won’t.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Is he back?
Where are you seeing 3 more wins?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Where are you seeing 3 more wins?
Central Michigan. Usm. And maybe Kentucky at home. Maybe. Can't see TAMU auburn Ark on the road. Ole miss likely to score 60 on this defense unless they just play a bad game on offense and throw picks like Arizona

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login