As I said a week before the game..................

cowbell9

Nov 15, 2005
free throws and rebounding would win/lose the game. And they did...lose it that is.

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006
we needed to work on preventing offensive rebounds/blocking out or it would bite us in the *** against good competition. We did improve but not as much as we needed to.

Sincerely,

Rick Stansbury/Rugbdawg(because we both said the same thing at the exact same time)

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
getting reamed on here about how we dont block out well and give up too many offensive rebounds...I dont think we'll see anybody piling on him today

Porkchop.sixpack

Jan 23, 2007
with the game that close, lots of things could be said to have cost us the game. I think if we had done a better job forcing the ball inside once the big guys got in foul trouble, things would have worked out differently. We just didnt' really exploit that situation like we should have late in the game.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
7 mins and change they have 4 guys with 4 fouls and it takes us 4 mins to get one of them out. And then another goes out with 20-something seconds. Just couldnt take advantage like we needed to.</p>

I'm still wondering why we stopped the "hack-a-Tiger" strategy after 1 foul. I think it would have frustrated them and really worked to our advantage.</p>

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

</p>

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
It's called selective reading on this board.
I said in the past the Varnado went for the block too often instead of blocking out for the rebound and getting good defensive position.
What would you rather have a SEC Block record or a spot in the Sweet 16?
</p>

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
[b said:
Coach34[/b]]

7 mins and change they have 4 guys with 4 fouls and it takes us 4 mins to get one of them out. And then another goes out with 20-something seconds. Just couldnt take advantage like we needed to.</p>

I'm still wondering why we stopped the "hack-a-Tiger" strategy after 1 foul. I think it would have frustrated them and really worked to our advantage.</p>

My point exactly..
Why stop, put in Johnson and Bailey to foul, then sub them out.
If you start the Hack a Shaq you must stay with it for the rest of the game.
Stans thought we could get a defensive stop.
I want to know how Memphis keep getting those easy in-bounds basket?

</p>

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Well, when you play a zone for more than 20 minutes against the most athletic teams in the country you are going to give up 2nd chance points. They had 22, we had 10.

Fletch Fletcher

Sep 25, 2006
fishwater99 said:
</p>

So you're saying we would have made the Sweet 16 if Varnardo didn't block so many shots throughout the course of the entire season? Sure, that makes perfect sense.</p>

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
we advance to the Sweet 16. Jarvis does need to learn when to back off and when to go for the block in terms of fouling, but the guy set the record for blocks, and as a result a lot of teams were hesistent to bring it inside against him. Ask Oregon, who went ice cold from beyond the arc Friday night but kept shooting. They'll tell you they simply gave up going inside on him.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
<div class="post-body"> <div class="scrolling">
free throws and rebounding would win/lose the game. And they did...lose it that is.

So you're saying we would have made the Sweet 16 if Varnardo didn't block so many shots throughout the course of the entire season? Sure, that makes perfect sense.</p>
</div> </div>

</p>

4suredog

Feb 24, 2008
Clearly some of you people do not understand how the game of basketball is played. However, for those of you that seem dumbfounded by the rebounding issue, ITS CALLED A ZONE....When you are in said zone you lose most if not all rebounding advantage, it becomes one on one and in many cases 2 offenseive guys on one defensive guy going after the board. We made our free throws, didn't turn the ball over, held them well under their scoring average, they were the better team. Please god accept that fact. If we played them 10 times, they would win at least 8. Again, stats wise we played one of the best games of our year and still lost. So, my sugeestion, since baseball apparently sux, lets talk about football, or maybe opinions on the presidential search but basketball is now over and we ended playing very good basketball against one of the better teams in the country, certainly the penal league is without many of its stars as long as Memphis stays in! </p>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login