Ask the Pack - Northeast Coast Trip

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I'm taking the family up the East Coast in late May. Our main stops will be DC, Philadelphia, NY, and Boston. After that, we plan to drive into Maine and back down through smaller cities and attractions, like Hershey Park, Amish country, parks, historical sites, etc.

My initial plan was to just drive it all. The major drawbacks are time, gas, and having to park a vehicle everywhere you go. Parking at hotels in big cities is pretty outrageous.

The next option would be to fly into DC and take trains from there to Philadelphia, NY, and Boston, with 2-3 days at each city with no car to worry about. Then, rent a van in Boston to make the loop back to DC over the next several days and fly home.

Does anyone have any experience doing a trip like this? Any suggestions on transportation options?

Bulldogbilly

Mar 19, 2020
I'm taking the family up the East Coast in late May. Our main stops will be DC, Philadelphia, NY, and Boston. After that, we plan to drive into Maine and back down through smaller cities and attractions, like Hershey Park, Amish country, parks, historical sites, etc.

My initial plan was to just drive it all. The major drawbacks are time, gas, and having to park a vehicle everywhere you go. Parking at hotels in big cities is pretty outrageous.

The next option would be to fly into DC and take trains from there to Philadelphia, NY, and Boston, with 2-3 days at each city with no car to worry about. Then, rent a van in Boston to make the loop back to DC over the next several days and fly home.

Does anyone have any experience doing a trip like this? Any suggestions on transportation options?
We vacation in Maine every year. I always drive up. Good three day drive. I do that because rental vehicles are so expensive up there. I can drive, staying in hotels, cheaper than renting a car. If you do drive, AVOID New York City. Made that mistake once, won’t make it again.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I have no real suggestions as to how to make the trip other than I would fly if possible... but it reminds me how amazingly close all those huge metropolitan areas are to each other. DC is less than 2 hours from Philly... which is about 2 hours from NYC. It's crazy to think that Philadelphia and New York are as close as Jackson and Starkville.

ALSO, did you know you could fit the entire island of Manhattan into the area of the Ross Barnett Reservoir? It's like the entire population of Mississippi (with all their cars, buildings, etc.) living and working inside the boundaries of the Rez.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Depends on where you want to start your trip.
DC and or Philly are good options and lots to do. Great food, history and baseball in both.
I’d definitely go out toward Lancaster PA, especially if on a Saturday and check out the very unique Amish countryside and markets/restaurants but you really need a car for that. Hershey and the Park are ok but not a must do in my opinion unless y’all are just big into chocolate.
I’ve taken the train from Philly into NYC and it’s an easy and pretty quick trip. Not a bad drive either but parking in NYC and driving around/thru NYC is never fun.
Have not been to Boston so no recommendations there or how to get there ( train or car or fly?)

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
I have taken the train from New Orleans up to DC and Philly. I've never done a sleeper car, which you'd probably want to do with kids. Train schedules south of DC and north of there are two completely different levels of reliable. Once you get up there, they're much more likely to be on time. I concur on avoiding having a car in the big cities. You can get where you need to go with public transportation and the Heel-Toe Express. Getting to Maine is a whole nother ballgame.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Without knowing any of your personal details/preferences (where you're starting from, size/age of the family and how heavy they travel, budget, etc.) , on the surface I'd go with your planes, trains and automobiles idea. I've done most of that in pieces but not in one trip.
- eliminate the monotony/time of driving to your starting point by flying into DC
- take the trains up the NE corridor as something different and can't do much anywhere else in the US. Dumps you right in the middle of the cities and provides a different view of things (including the underbelly). Since you are getting off at each city you won't be on them very long. but actually a pretty nice way to travel.
- Save the driving for after Boston where you have to and are interested in doodling around and stopping at things you want to visit.
- Fly home when the final leg of the drive will be reallllly long and monotonous after all of that.
My 2 cents. Not sure if you're looking for any other trip tips or just the travel part. Sounds fun, have a good trip.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I’ll add that my wife and I have been to DC, Philly, and Boston. The plan has always been to drive, and I have been dreading the thought of having a car in NYC. I actually told the wife the other day that we weren’t going to do anything there. At best, we would stop by Liberty park.

Then, I started looking at hotel rooms and how much parking was every night. So, I went back and started pricing flights to DC and looking into trains. I’ve got to run all the numbers, but I wanted some advice.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If you drive it, park at your hotel in the cities and use public transport or Uber. . When you go to Maine be sure and go to Acadia National Park. I think the road up Cadillac Mountain requires a reservation now. Be sure and check in that. Also, don't miss Gettysburg and Antietam, or Lexington and Concord.

Fedexdog

Oct 11, 2022
Amtrak (Laurel or Meridian) to ATL,DCA,PHL,NYC, BOS. Rental car to Maine and New England. You can fly Southwest home or alternate the stops…some northbound, some southbound.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Parking in NYC is IMPOSSIBLE. Stay in NJ and ride the subway or cabs over to Manhattan. I know guns are illegal in NYC, but I think I'd have to pack one anyway in case I got into a dangerous situation and no way out. Same with Philadelphia. Keep your head on a swivel in Philly and NYC. Boston seemed ok to me, but that was about 10 years ago and things may have changed. We flew in to Logan Airport in Boston and rented a car to drive all over New England area including Maine. Connecticut has some of the most beautiful thick forests I have ever seen especially in and around UCONN in Storrs. They do have a lot bears too, so keep an eye out.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Booth Bay Harbor Maine. Beautiful. More of a local spot. Excellent food. My favorite spot in Maine. Bar Harbor Maine is Maines version of Gattlinburg. It’s close to Acadia National Park but otherwise it was a bit too crowded for me. Unless you plan to do some hiking one day in Acadia is more than enough. Really pretty but only one road loop of perhaps 30 miles. Some nice photo opportunities. Did not see any wildlife. I liked Maine enough to go back again one of these days. Bar Harbor, not so much. On the way through Pennsylvania make it to Gettysburg. Spend a few hours there, think about what happened there, and you will never forget it. Very powerful memories of Gettysburg.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Me and a couple of buddies did this trip on Harleys years ago. There is only two places that I would return to. Gettysburg because I'm a history buff and only got to spend a couple of hours there. The other place is Lake George NY. Little lake side town that was like something out of a movie. Worth a look.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The old lady of making a similar trip (in reverse), Flying into Boston, staying three days, train to NY, stay three days, train to DC, stay three days and fly BWI back to JAN. Flights were much cheaper than I expected.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Me and a couple of buddies did this trip on Harleys years ago. There is only two places that I would return to. Gettysburg because I'm a history buff and only got to spend a couple of hours there. The other place is Lake George NY. Little lake side town that was like something out of a movie. Worth a look.
You mean Gatlinburg on the Lake ?
Lake George itself is very nice and some pretty good restaurants around there but the town itself and shops reminded me of Gatlinburg on a smaller scale.

Bowlboundawg

Sep 10, 2012
I've driven to NYC 4 times with the family and finally figured out what to do with my car to avoid the high parking. Park at the parking garage on Staten Island right beside the ferry station (actually beside the Ferryhawks Stadium). Drop family and luggage off at the door, park and take the shuttle back or walk. The ferry ride is free both ways and goes right by the Statue of Liberty. Last time we were there in Dec 2019 parking was $8 per day. A little inconvenient taking luggage on subway but you could get an Uber. Parking garage address is 155 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301

Reactions: Darryl Steight

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Just the thought of going into any of those cities puts me in a bad mood. Put me out in the countryside away from the crowds and bedlam, but each to his own I guess

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

I've taken the Acela from Boston to NYC and vice versa several times. I love it. All seats are business class, and it has fewer stops. And if you're with your family, they have seating in groups of four with a table in between. It's really perfect.

You could do it from DC through Philly, NY, and Boston, then rent a car there to head up toward Maine. You honestly don't want a car in any of those cities anyway.

[email protected]

Oct 27, 2013
Wife and I did same trip the year we played U Mass . Rented car in DC drove to Foxboro and then up to Bar Harbor then over to Lancaster PA . Easy drive except Jersey turnpike and thru NYC. Needed lots of change due to toll to roads

DawginEthel

Jan 2, 2023
Mansions at Newport were great. Also I spent a day at Martha's Vinyard and wish I coulda stayed longer. Very pretty. Did not see Kevin Spacey or the Mary Jo Kopechne bridge.

In Philly try Pat's or Geno's for a cheesesteak. both are great.

If you make it to NJ skip Atlantic City and try Ocean City.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It's crazy when you think of all those cities so close together in the NE Corridor. Lived in NYC for 11 months back in '86 and went several times to upstate NY including the football game we won there at Syracuse. Upstate NY is beautiful. So is New Hampshire and Maine.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Lake George and Fort McHenry then Fort Ticonderoga on the north side of the lake are both cool. Last of the Mohicans country. Ausable Chasm is neat. Real old school vacationing. Baseball HOF not far. What your planning should really be a 3 or 4 week trip. Way too much to do and see.

Also agree on Newport.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Wife and I did same trip the year we played U Mass . Rented car in DC drove to Foxboro and then up to Bar Harbor then over to Lancaster PA . Easy drive except Jersey turnpike and thru NYC. Needed lots of change due to toll to roads
Toll roads are almost all electronic no change needed anymore. They send a bill in the mail. Look into the fast pass type thing for the NE for discounts.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login