At lunch today, I talked about our lousy baseball team

Dec 8, 2006
I was reminded by others in the group that I said the same thing about the MSU football team after the LSU loss and about the MSU basketball team after the December losses.

Result: Our first bowl in 7 years and a return to the Big Dance.

I hope I keep my streak alive and we end up in Omaha.

God, our baseball team sucks.

patdog

May 28, 2007
When you're playing at home against one of the worst teams in the nation, it's not real good either though. At least it does look like we'll take 2 of 3 though. Up 7-3 in the 4th.

slickdawg

May 28, 2007
Polk bitches, whines and complains about the NCAA and the restraints it puts on college baseball. He writes unibomber-like manifestos and mails them to everyone in the nation. Coaching a team to be champions is not on his mind.
Polk whines about how tough the conference is, yet he has become complacent with his job - emphasis on his, the second that Pat McMahon left, he called LT and said "the job is mine". The nutless wonder did not even question him.

Croom never says a word about the NCAA, or how tough the conference is, he focuses solely on Mississippi State Football and making his program get better, mentally and physically. He talks of winning championships, and by God, he delivered the Liberty Bowl championship to Starkville and is far from satisfied.

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
This is by far one of the best posts Ive ever read on this board.....I couldnt agree with you more....

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
our baseball team over the last 5 years and still think we practice too much is hysterical.

What's next? David Eckstein being investigated for steroid use?

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________the second that Pat McMahon left, he called LT and said "the job is mine". The nutless wonder did not even question him_________________________________________________
Do you know this happened? I always envisioned LT taking the easy way out rather than Polk forcing the action. It was just easy and safe to place a couple of calls to Athens, GA than put on a serious search interviewing multiple candidates.
Quote:_________________________________________________Croom never says a word about the NCAA, or how tough the conference is, he focuses solely on Mississippi State Football and making his program get better, mentally and physically. He talks of winning championships, and by God, he delivered the Liberty Bowl championship to Starkville and is far from satisfied._________________________________________________
Couldn't agree more. You can say many of the same things about Rick Stansbury. Polk is right about the NCAA, they are really hurting college baseball. However, he needs to decide whether he wants to be an advocate of college baseball, the players and coaches or whether he wants to be the head coach at Mississippi State University. When Polk focuses, he can accomplish a lot of good things. He needs to either focus or step aside.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
OK, I'll just say it. Personally, I am just tired of everything Ron Polk. I'm tired of his civil war with the NCAA (a war he can't even get his own administration to support) and I'm tired of the "that's baseball" type apathetic attitude toward winning championships. Yea, we fluked our way to Omaha last year after being I believe the last SEC team in and the only SEC team to make the NCAAs that didn't host their own regional, but that's all it was in my book, a five game fluke.

The guy has the stadium named after him and hall of fame status. Can't he just ride into the sunset and we could go find somebody with some drive and fire to get this program back to Top 10 in the nation status where I think it belongs. The post-season run last year was nice while it lasted but let's face it, we haven't competed for an SEC title in 15 years or more. And I'm talking the one you win over a season of good play not the tourney title you can get by getting hot for 3 or 4 games.

I know what I'm getting with Polk, a "nice" team. That's code for a team that finishes maybe middle of the pack in the SEC and wins around 35 games. Making it to Omaha last year was great, but it just never felt like we really had that caliber of team especially after our quick 2 and out. And then to start this year off so poorly just doesn't help my feelings any. Guess I'm just weary at this point with the Polk regime especially since I was never in favor of the 2nd tour to begin with.

rjsiwelhj

Feb 29, 2008
of sitting next to two MLB scouts. They were polite but said there was a huge gap between the other seven teams and MSU. That became apparent midway in the North Carolina game and certainly continued into the Louisville skull dragging.

jackbaddawg

Nov 16, 2005
but like the guy said ...Last year there was a huge difference between the other 7 teams there & our team. We lucked our way in.I'm ready for Polk to depart. He rarely ever has our team ready to play at the beginning of the season, same this year.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
I agree slick. My version of RP 2.0 is that LT called for advice on who the next MSU baseball coach should be and Polk said "me." and LT said "OK".

However it went down, bringing Polk back and keeping JWS were the two events that made me totally turn on LT.

Part of the problem with Polk and his flock is that they think that he IS MSU baseball, and the fact of the matter is that MSU baseball had been successful long before Polk was even born. Look at Dudy Noble- his name is on the stadium to by the way to Ron, RP Patty, and Paul Gregory. Don't get me wrong, Polk has done a lot of great thing for MSU baseball and is the most successful of all the other MSU baseball coaches, but at the same time, it's not like no one else could possibly have success at MSU either. He has taken MSU to a certain level, and now it's time for someone else to take it to the next level.

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
I agree totally. The guy has credentials that most would die for in college baseball, not just MSU. He has built the mecca of college baseball being our facilities. I greatly appreciate his adamant refusal to just take what the NCAA puts on the sport, especially being a baseball coach myself. But I wish he would choose one or the other. You can't do your job 100% if you're fighting another battle. All said, I hope we make it back to Omaha and break the records from last year. I know the camera guys from ESPN can't wait to get back for the food we fed them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login