AT&T is trash. Has anyone had a good experience with Sat. Internet?

Baddmann

Sep 20, 2015
I have AT&T fiber and it has been excellent. I did install MerakiGo access points and a Cisco Switch so my setup may be solving whatever problem you have. I only use the Arris modem for internet.

I installed Starlink at my parents house and it has been awesome for them. It occasionally loses signal for 15 mins or so but that is the expectation. 185-215Mbps download speeds.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Satellite internet is absolute garbage. I don’t care how much you hate ATT it’s light years better than that crap.

revereno

Jun 17, 2014
I'll second Starklink.

It was a gamer changer for us after fighting through years of HughesNet, Viasat/Exede, and cellular hotspots.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Can’t help with any recommendations on satellite aside from what’s already been recommended. i.e. Either stick with ATT or hop on the Starlink waiting list

I’ve been stuck with a garbage cable company in Arkansas for 6 years, and our electric co-op is finally rolling out a fiber option that I can’t wait to try, but it hasn’t made it to our neighborhood yet. In the meantime, I’ve been considering going with T-Mobile’s home internet, but I’ve heard a lot of complaints about it as well. Think I’ll give the 15-day trial a shot, and we’ll see how it goes

biguglyjoe

Mar 3, 2008
Thanks for the input y'all. I live in a small town and most likely we won't get fiber anytime soon. My issue with AT&T is with their tech service, or lack there of. Two days of scheduled appointments with no shows and no communication from the tech, and 3 different reasons why we haven't seen or heard from them when we called the 800 number. It has always been that way to some degree. If they had legit competition they'd fold in 6 months.

Last edited:

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
We've had ATT fiber for 9 months and it's been great..same price as U-Verse which fiber replaced. ATT installed the modem on the 2nd floor of my house, and I lost my landline. The tech said "oh, you can put your answering machine (master unit) into the modem." We refused to go upstairs to check messages so no landline anymore.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
My sister got starlink deeeeeeep in rural MS and she watches Netflix while her kids play Xbox. It’s a game changer for sat internet

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Wait until you see when several others get on Starlink and how slow it will get. If you have it and you like it now, I honestly would not tell anyone about it. You'll see.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I live about as deep in the woods as you can get. Don’t get me wrong-that’s the way I like it. One of the drawbacks to living in the sticks is the availability of broadband internet. I was a HughesNet subscriber for 6 years. It was slow and it was expensive at $140/month with 150 GB of data allowance per month-when you went over your data allowance, you got throttled to crawl speeds. Buffering on everything. Let me tell you-150 GB of data is nothing. After several years, another provider, Exede (now known as Viasat) became available. Since I no longer had a contract with HughesNet, I went with Viasat. Same problems with data caps (200GB/month) for about the same price every month. If you watch a movie on Netflix, you will use 2-3 GB of your monthly allowance. If you do the math you quickly realize that if you are using multiple TV’s and devices at your home you will burn through your data limits in a very short time. If you have DirecTV or DishNetwork at your home you simply cannot “cut the cord” if you want to stream TV. There is simply not enough data available to do that. I learned about something called AT&T Fixed Wireless on this very message board, and I checked it out. There is no fiber optic cable out here in the hinterland, but there is an AT&T cell phone tower less than a mile from my house. I signed up for that service (with no contract, mind you) about 3 years ago and it’s been the most reliable internet service we’ve ever had here at our house. It’s fast, and we get 350 GB data allowance per month from them. If we reach the data limits, AT&T adds 50 GB of data for $10. We have added additional data in the neighborhood of 250 GB per month when our grandkids are visiting (they are gamers) and our bill is still around $100/month when they are here. The normal bill if you don’t exceed the 350 GB is $60/month, and we’ve never exceeded $110/month, ever in the 4+ years we’ve had the AT&T service. I worked for AT&T for 5 years and I hate AT&T-but this fixed wireless has been the best internet we’ve ever had. I have signed up for Starlink and paid the initial $100 for that service about 6 months ago. I have 2 neighbors who have Starlink and I’ve seen the way it works for them. It’s a game-changer for sure at around $110/month. One neighbor has 5 TV’s streaming and about 3-4 additional devices streaming on the Starlink and there are no data limits and no buffering. I’m just waiting for that email telling me that I need to send the $400 remaining to get the Starlink service. It’s going to give me great pleasure to tell DirecTV to take their service (along with their $250/month bill) and stick it up their asses…

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
If you genuinely live in the sticks, keep in mind Starlink needs a HUGE clearing to work. It's much more sensitive than a traditional satellite. Plus it moves. So the clearing needs to be substantial or you will have intermittent dropout.

With that being said, its a game changer for rural internet.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I have a couple houses and both are rural. I. Finally got 4 county fiber internet at the one in Webster Co. The other place in Union county is my retirement place and there is nothing up there.

I have went through everything under the son for internet and all of is garbage compared to fiber. Satellite was the worst. Currently I am using a Cspire hotspot at the lake place in Union co. that shares my phone data. That works ok and it’s cheap $10 a month but very limited data. I use 4 cty. WiFi when home so that’s keeps my phone data usage down.

If I can’t get fiber at the lake, I will be trying starlink up there when I retire to the place in a couple years

Nicephorus

Sep 3, 2018
I live about as deep in the woods as you can get. Don’t get me wrong-that’s the way I like it. One of the drawbacks to living in the sticks is the availability of broadband internet. I was a HughesNet subscriber for 6 years. It was slow and it was expensive at $140/month with 150 GB of data allowance per month-when you went over your data allowance, you got throttled to crawl speeds. Buffering on everything. Let me tell you-150 GB of data is nothing. After several years, another provider, Exede (now known as Viasat) became available. Since I no longer had a contract with HughesNet, I went with Viasat. Same problems with data caps (200GB/month) for about the same price every month. If you watch a movie on Netflix, you will use 2-3 GB of your monthly allowance. If you do the math you quickly realize that if you are using multiple TV’s and devices at your home you will burn through your data limits in a very short time. If you have DirecTV or DishNetwork at your home you simply cannot “cut the cord” if you want to stream TV. There is simply not enough data available to do that. I learned about something called AT&T Fixed Wireless on this very message board, and I checked it out. There is no fiber optic cable out here in the hinterland, but there is an AT&T cell phone tower less than a mile from my house. I signed up for that service (with no contract, mind you) about 3 years ago and it’s been the most reliable internet service we’ve ever had here at our house. It’s fast, and we get 350 GB data allowance per month from them. If we reach the data limits, AT&T adds 50 GB of data for $10. We have added additional data in the neighborhood of 250 GB per month when our grandkids are visiting (they are gamers) and our bill is still around $100/month when they are here. The normal bill if you don’t exceed the 350 GB is $60/month, and we’ve never exceeded $110/month, ever in the 4+ years we’ve had the AT&T service. I worked for AT&T for 5 years and I hate AT&T-but this fixed wireless has been the best internet we’ve ever had. I have signed up for Starlink and paid the initial $100 for that service about 6 months ago. I have 2 neighbors who have Starlink and I’ve seen the way it works for them. It’s a game-changer for sure at around $110/month. One neighbor has 5 TV’s streaming and about 3-4 additional devices streaming on the Starlink and there are no data limits and no buffering. I’m just waiting for that email telling me that I need to send the $400 remaining to get the Starlink service. It’s going to give me great pleasure to tell DirecTV to take their service (along with their $250/month bill) and stick it up their asses…

Not sure if it’s still possible, but at one point you could bypass the waiting list by buying Starlink RV service although at a higher monthly cost. Sounds like the hardware is the same as residential service so hopefully you could switch over when your turn comes up.

https://youtu.be/HA9UtocToRU

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Not sure if it’s still possible, but at one point you could bypass the waiting list by buying Starlink RV service although at a higher monthly cost. Sounds like the hardware is the same as residential service so hopefully you could switch over when your turn comes up.

https://youtu.be/HA9UtocToRU

I have Starlink for RV. It's always going to be de-prioritized vs home or business. Not a big deal for me out in the the mountain west where I use it since we have very sparse population and big open skies full of satellites. But east of the Mississippi it will be problematic. I'd just get on the wait list and get the home version once capacity is ready for reliable usage in the area.

RV has no waiting anywhere in the country and it's $135 vs $110 a month, but you can pause it which is super helpful for me. I ran into 2-3 people in RV's this summer that had the home version in their RV but they were fighting it because they were not using the correct application and were hacking the system so to speak.

I figure the SpaceX/Starlink crew is about as smart as it gets. They're rolling this stuff out in a manor where everyone is going to be satisfied with their speeds and connectivity, so long as we wait until it's ready in our respective areas.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Thanks for the input y'all. I live in a small town and most likely we won't get fiber anytime soon. My issue with AT&T is with their tech service, or lack there of. Two days of scheduled appointments with no shows and no communication from the tech, and 3 different reasons why we haven't seen or heard from them when we called the 800 number. It has always been that way to some degree. If they had legit competition they'd fold in 6 months.

AT&T's service management software is garbage (or maybe they just don't know how to use it). Went through the same thing with them and it was awful, but, when I finally got it up and running, it has been great and cheap. Much more reliable than our prior cable internet, which would basically lose service for a minute or two each day, which wouldn't have been a major issue except we'd then pretty much have to reset the router to get everything working right again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login