Austin, Tx trip recommendations

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So, we are thinking of going to the State v Texas game in September. Air fare into Austin is reasonable at the moment.

so.... is it safe to stay downtown? Looks like that is close to the campus.

I assume downtown has plenty to do, is it safe to go out downtown? (All adults)

Or are there other more entertaining areas to stay?

Any other general recommendations are appreciated as well.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Downtown is safe enough. Lots to do downtown and down South Congress. It's a great town. Great food. Good bars. Lots of music. You'll enjoy it.

Tour the Capitol and Bob Bullock museum if you have time. LBJ library on UT campus is pretty cool too.

ETA: If you are still in town on Monday night and he is playing, go see Bob Schneider at Saxon Pub on South Lamar.

Last edited:

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Austin is generally safe, but lots of homeless. Lots and lots of homeless.

Franklin BBQ is worth getting there at 5am for.

Rainey street is awesome. Dirty Sixth is fun if you want to listen to music.

Reactions: HRMSU and Maroon13

Nate.sixpack

Jun 22, 2013
So, we are thinking of going to the State v Texas game in September. Air fare into Austin is reasonable at the moment.

LeRoy & Lewis BBQ

Go for the brisket, and splurge for the bacon rib.

Reactions: Maroon13

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

Downtown is mostly fine. Just read the hotel reviews and check the area.

6th Street is their Beale/Bourbon Street. I found it kinda meh. Plenty of bars but it was full of bikers the last couple of times I went. Rainey Street is much better. Lots of food trucks and neat old houses that have been converted into bars. Go to the bridge and see the bats. Lots of walking trails and stuff to do around Lady Bird Lake.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You can stay other parts of Austin, but I don't if I would want to. Most of the good tourist attractions are downtown. The other area I would suggest would be the Domain if they have any good hotels there. That area has a ton of places to visit and shop without having to drive. It is right off of MoPac, so it would be too hard to get back to the football game stadium or downtown.

ETA - it's been a while since I've been downtown but I remember Sixth street being geared toward a younger crowd and there's been a rise in incidents in the area. Just make sure you don't go late at night. If you get a chance, be sure and have breakfast at Magnolia Café on South Congress it's just good home cooking breakfast food.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
One of the most fun things you can do in Austin is to visit a show called "Esther's Follies." It is a variety comedy show with jokes and commentary on current events, Texas culture, and clever parody songs, etc. Constantly changing, been running for decades.

It also stars one of my friends, and someone who I think is one of the best illusionists in America but who nobody really knows about, Ray Anderson. If you go, tell him I sent you. He has been with the show forever and is a producer now.

Great thing to do.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
It’s fine. I was there last week and enjoyed myself. I stayed at the Hilton Austin. No complaints.

I went to Terry Blacks for the first time. It’s solid. Franklin‘a could be a fun Saturday before the game. Last time I was there, you had to lineup early, but they sell beer and let you try stuff all morning. So, it has a tailgate feel.

Between South Congress, Rainey street, 6th Street - you’ll be able to find something to do.

Lake Travis offers up plenty of hikes and stuff too if you’re wanting a break from beer and BBQ (for some reason).

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
It’s sketch sometimes it depends on timing and where. the DA is a piece of s*it it’ll be San Fran in a few years.

Around ceasar Chavez gives you good radius. stay away from dirty 6th, not worth the time. East 6th is eclectic (taco shops, food trucks, brew pubs), west 6th is posh. South Lamar and south congress are neat. Rainey is cool for short intervals. I like burnet and domain. Austin FC area is cool if they are in season.

Tons of good food and unique night spots that you won’t find anywhere else, Austin has a vibe.

Swifts attic, firehouse saloon, antone’s, and the Roosevelt room are a few of my favs.

Last edited:

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
when we get closer let’s start a thread.

I’m sure I will go. I have friends (UT) that have a standing tailgate on bevo blvd. They’re the fun welcoming kind.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
How awesome would be to beat Texas on Saturday and have a huge MSU contingent in line all morning at Franklin's on Sunday?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login