Auto-pilot Cars

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Just read an article where a Tesla lead a Police chase at about 70 mph for 15 minutes on the Autobahn. Apparently the driver, who might have been baked, put on the Auto-pilot and laid the seat back and went to sleep. They tried to wake him but the car maintained a safe distance from the cruisers. Don't Auto-pilot cars, at this point of a totally untested technology, have safety features like maybe a camera that watches the driver and must see eye movement or maybe a pulse monitor on the steering wheel or definitely a sensor to be sure the seat is upright? If the sensors deem the driver is not paying attention, it pulls the car over and stops.

I would even go for some sort of feature that police can cause the car to go into pullover mode in case the driver is incapacitated.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Tue January 3, 2023

Tesla plunges 250 feet off a California cliff, all 4 occupants survive​

The San Mateo Sheriff’s Office said Monday that the two adults suffered “non-life threatening injuries” and the two children were “unharmed.”

A spokesperson for the California Highway Patrol told CNN they do not believe any of the Tesla’s self-driving features were active at the time.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/03/us/tesla-crash-cliff-california-cec/index.html

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Tue January 3, 2023

The San Mateo Sheriff’s Office said Monday that the two adults suffered “non-life threatening injuries” and the two children were “unharmed.”

A spokesperson for the California Highway Patrol told CNN they do not believe any of the Tesla’s self-driving features were active at the time.

Speaks to the safety of a Tesla. How many other cars do a swan dive off a cliff almost the length of a football field and nobody has any serious injuries?

Reactions: drumrcraig

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Tue January 3, 2023

Looks like the father did it intentionally

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Just read an article where a Tesla lead a Police chase at about 70 mph for 15 minutes on the Autobahn. Apparently the driver, who might have been baked, put on the Auto-pilot and laid the seat back and went to sleep. They tried to wake him but the car maintained a safe distance from the cruisers. Don't Auto-pilot cars, at this point of a totally untested technology, have safety features like maybe a camera that watches the driver and must see eye movement or maybe a pulse monitor on the steering wheel or definitely a sensor to be sure the seat is upright? If the sensors deem the driver is not paying attention, it pulls the car over and stops.

I would even go for some sort of feature that police can cause the car to go into pullover mode in case the driver is incapacitated.
Mine is 5 years old but the autopilot on it requires that the driver has to apply a slight turning pressure to the steering wheel approximately every mile or so at highway speeds (to confirm that the driver is not asleep or dead). If you don’t you will first get a visual prompt, secondly (if the driver does not do that) it will give an attention-getting double-beep, a few seconds later with no response it will give a *very* loud beep and a more urgent visual message, and last (if still no input by the driver) it will gently, but firmly, stop the car. I’ve never gotten that far but I don’t think it actually pulls off to the shoulder (because not every section of road has a shoulder) and wait. It may, or may not (I don’t know), turn on the flashers to warn other drivers.

I think the newer Teslas do use an interior camera to monitor the driver but I’m not sure about that, either.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I will believe the Tesla is a safer car if the swan dive was a head first crash into the ground. If it was a flat, bottom side down crash most modern cars would protect the passengers.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
People really complain about government overreach and then propose the police be able to remote stop their vehicle.
Cars that don't have auto pilot have had remote disable features for awhile now with On Star and other gps trackers.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't see how anybody would be okay allowing the car to drive itself while sleeping. I'm sure the tech is there and the percentages of it crashing are small but I just couldn't do that.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'm ready for completely autonomous cars but until then I'm not interested in being a co-pilot. I swear, the more I learn about new vehicles the more it makes me think my next ride will be about an '89 Bronco.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I'm ready for completely autonomous cars but until then I'm not interested in being a co-pilot. I swear, the more I learn about new vehicles the more it makes me think my next ride will be about an '89 Bronco.
At 31 flavors, I heard about a newer F150. The electronic sensor that tells the car it is in park went out. Now the car won’t crank. Sensor is out of stock for a few months. Give me an old truck that gets terrible gas mileage but is easy to work on when needed. But the creature comforts in new trucks are nice.

Reactions: dorndawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
At 31 flavors, I heard about a newer F150. The electronic sensor that tells the car it is in park went out. Now the car won’t crank. Sensor is out of stock for a few months. Give me an old truck that gets terrible gas mileage but is easy to work on when needed. But the creature comforts in new trucks are nice.
My trusty ole 2012 Tundra with 200k on her drives like new and will pass everything on the highway (but a gas station).

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
My trusty ole 2012 Tundra with 200k on her drives like new and will pass everything on the highway (but a gas station).
Just put new tires on my ‘07 tundra. It rides great. My dad rode with me yesterday and commented on how good it rides, “like a new car”. That maybe 16mpg highway is less than ideal, but I really don’t care. Can’t hide money.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I bought my truck slightly used with about 15k miles on it a couple of years ago. It's s a 2019 and pretty low tech f250 considering. It only came with one key fob and that had always made me nervous. Last time I had it in for service I wanted to get a backup. They wanted $430 for it, but you have to have it.

Turns out they are backordered with no time horizon. The guy then suggested a valet key... Backordered with no time horizon. Luckily my local locksmith had one and set me up for $130. Pro tip, don't go to the 17ing dealer if you need a new key, what a ripoff.

The locksmith then told me about a lady with a a Hyundai that has been without her car for 2 months waiting on a keyless fob that's backordered and nowhere to be found. Scary chit.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Just put new tires on my ‘07 tundra. It rides great. My dad rode with me yesterday and commented on how good it rides, “like a new car”. That maybe 16mpg highway is less than ideal, but I really don’t care. Can’t hide money.
If you ever decide to sell, please give me first option.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I expect BigTech to start rolling out driverless cars in the next few years. Rumors of Apple’s car is there is no steering wheel.

Google’s are already out on the road in Phoenix:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My 2004 was the same. I questioned my intelligence when I drove it a few hours to trade on a new truck because it drove/rode so good. It loved gas though!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login