Back to Plan #1 for Doc

topdawg.sixpack

Nov 25, 2007
I wonder if his foundation has a biplane for him to fly? <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080312/NEWS/803120355&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL">

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080312/NEWS/803120355&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL</a>

<font face="Verdana" size="1">March 12, 2008

</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, serif" size="5">MSU's Foglesong wants to focus on foundation</font><font size="1">
</font><font face="Times New Roman, serif" size="2">
The Associated Press
</font></p>

Doc Foglesong says he accomplished his goals as president of Mississippi State University ahead of schedule and is looking forward to spending more time working with his foundation in West Virginia.</p>

On Friday, the retired Air Force general announced his resignation as president of MSU, effective June 30.</p>

In an interview with the Charleston Daily Mail, Foglesong said that being offered the presidency of Mississippi State in 2006 was a surprise.</p>

"I set some goals and signed a four-year contract," he said. "I've essentially completed the goals I had set in two years. It's time for somebody else to come in and take this institution to the next level.</p>

"This has been a great two years," he said. "We've really enjoyed the success we've had here. We're happy enrollment (just over 17,000) is the highest it's ever been, research is by far the highest it's ever been, retention is the highest it's ever been, graduate enrollment is the highest it's ever been and we keep winning national competitions.</p>

"It's time somebody else takes the reins," he said. "I wasn't asked to leave by anybody. It's just a decision I made on my own here."</p>

Foglesong, a retired four-star general, was reminded that Mississippi media have reported that he went about his duties in an unconventional way, even flying a jet overhead at a football game.</p>

"Actually, I flew a jet and a biplane," he said. "The university owns a 1942 Stearman open cockpit biplane. I flew it, too."</p>

Foglesong's Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation, a nonprofit organization, has its headquarters in Charleston.</p>

"I have no plans other than to re-engage in my foundation in West Virginia in a pretty substantial way," Foglesong said.</p>

Foglesong said his original plan when he retired from the Air Force "was to spend some time at my ranch in Montana, with my mother in Chattaroy (W.Va.) and with my foundation."</p>

"This (presidency of Mississippi State) was 'Plan 2,' " Foglesong said. "It's back to 'Plan 1.' "</p>

Foglesong said he currently returns to West Virginia about once every six weeks. "This (resignation) of course will free up some opportunity" to spend more time in the Mountain State, he said.</p>

Pamela Scaggs, the Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation's resource development and program director, "has been keeping the train on the tracks, making sure everything is running smoothly," Foglesong said.</p>

The foundation has a fellowship program at Marshall, Concord and Shepherd universities. A fellowship is composed of a full scholarship and a leadership development program.</p>

There currently are 31 fellows. Ten more will be named in early May.</p>

In addition, "we're spreading our wings a little with an honors program," Foglesong said.</p>

Scaggs said the honors program "is our expansion of the leadership program in higher education, beyond the fellowships."</p>

Marshall University, Southern West Virginia Community College at Williamson and West Virginia University-Parkersburg are participants.</p>

Also, the foundation has a K-12 leadership and character-building program called Preparation, Respect, Integrity, Discipline and Enthusiasm, or PRIDE.</p>

"This is a program designed by Gen. Foglesong in the Air Force," Scaggs said. "We adopted it for K-12, public education and youth organizations."</p> _________________________________________________

topdawg.sixpack

Nov 25, 2007
I wonder if his foundation has a biplane for him to fly? <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080312/NEWS/803120355&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL">

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080312/NEWS/803120355&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL</a>

<font face="Verdana" size="1">March 12, 2008

</font>

<font face="Times New Roman, serif" size="5">MSU's Foglesong wants to focus on foundation</font><font size="1">
</font><font face="Times New Roman, serif" size="2">
The Associated Press
</font></p>

Doc Foglesong says he accomplished his goals as president of Mississippi State University ahead of schedule and is looking forward to spending more time working with his foundation in West Virginia.</p>

On Friday, the retired Air Force general announced his resignation as president of MSU, effective June 30.</p>

In an interview with the Charleston Daily Mail, Foglesong said that being offered the presidency of Mississippi State in 2006 was a surprise.</p>

"I set some goals and signed a four-year contract," he said. "I've essentially completed the goals I had set in two years. It's time for somebody else to come in and take this institution to the next level.</p>

"This has been a great two years," he said. "We've really enjoyed the success we've had here. We're happy enrollment (just over 17,000) is the highest it's ever been, research is by far the highest it's ever been, retention is the highest it's ever been, graduate enrollment is the highest it's ever been and we keep winning national competitions.</p>

"It's time somebody else takes the reins," he said. "I wasn't asked to leave by anybody. It's just a decision I made on my own here."</p>

Foglesong, a retired four-star general, was reminded that Mississippi media have reported that he went about his duties in an unconventional way, even flying a jet overhead at a football game.</p>

"Actually, I flew a jet and a biplane," he said. "The university owns a 1942 Stearman open cockpit biplane. I flew it, too."</p>

Foglesong's Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation, a nonprofit organization, has its headquarters in Charleston.</p>

"I have no plans other than to re-engage in my foundation in West Virginia in a pretty substantial way," Foglesong said.</p>

Foglesong said his original plan when he retired from the Air Force "was to spend some time at my ranch in Montana, with my mother in Chattaroy (W.Va.) and with my foundation."</p>

"This (presidency of Mississippi State) was 'Plan 2,' " Foglesong said. "It's back to 'Plan 1.' "</p>

Foglesong said he currently returns to West Virginia about once every six weeks. "This (resignation) of course will free up some opportunity" to spend more time in the Mountain State, he said.</p>

Pamela Scaggs, the Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation's resource development and program director, "has been keeping the train on the tracks, making sure everything is running smoothly," Foglesong said.</p>

The foundation has a fellowship program at Marshall, Concord and Shepherd universities. A fellowship is composed of a full scholarship and a leadership development program.</p>

There currently are 31 fellows. Ten more will be named in early May.</p>

In addition, "we're spreading our wings a little with an honors program," Foglesong said.</p>

Scaggs said the honors program "is our expansion of the leadership program in higher education, beyond the fellowships."</p>

Marshall University, Southern West Virginia Community College at Williamson and West Virginia University-Parkersburg are participants.</p>

Also, the foundation has a K-12 leadership and character-building program called Preparation, Respect, Integrity, Discipline and Enthusiasm, or PRIDE.</p>

"This is a program designed by Gen. Foglesong in the Air Force," Scaggs said. "We adopted it for K-12, public education and youth organizations."</p> _________________________________________________

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
"I can get more done in the West Virginia mountains with people whose DNA resembles that of a primate than I can in the Appalachain Foothills of Mississippi with the likes of Tom Meredith."

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I completely believe that we were a backup plan. Thanks IHL and Cigar Boys.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
so he set his goals, met those goals, and now the job (battle) is over. time to get out while the getting is good.

FlabLoser

Aug 20, 2006
We knew about his foundation early on and we on this board pointed out at that time that were were his plan B. And we weren't comfortable about it.

That said, the man absolutely has improved this university. I appreciate all those benchmarks he mentioned. He gave us a stiff shove in the right direction. Alas, reformers always take their lumps and don't last very long.

I hope the next guy can pick up where Doc left off. We need to keep the momentum going.

topdawg.sixpack

Nov 25, 2007
I hope that whoever takes over will continue some of Doc's agenda, specifically in enrollment, campus landscape, and athletics. However, I hope we find a candidate who can be more of a people's person and be willing to listen and be open, but yet at the same time expect results and get them. It can be done, and that is what MSU has lacked in recent years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Assuming the LT "retirement" does go through (and that's already been discussed to death), then we really do owe a big thank you to the IHL. Not to mention the increases in enrollment and research revenues during his 2 years at MSU. He's been controversial, but overall I can't see any way he's been anything but very good for MSU.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
that Doc did some great things, but LT was gone had MSU gotten the president that most wanted in the first place. And that's why he wasn't selected.

Bigohh

Feb 23, 2008
8Dog said:
that Doc did some great things, but LT was gone had MSU gotten the president that most wanted in the first place. And that's why he wasn't selected.

Had MSU gotten "that guy", and he did fire LT, he would have suffered the wrath of those who were behind LT. If "that's why he wasn't selected" to begin with, well the problem no longer exists, does it? Maybe the door's been opened. </p>

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
If he accomplished all his goals in two years, I'd say he needed to make more goals. I know he made improvements during his time, but he comes across as though the place is a well oiled machine...light years above where it was when he arrived. In reality, his short term may have hurt the University as much as his "goals" helped it.

Brutius

Aug 5, 2004
attributed to Fogelsong over and over again, but isn't enrollment up across the board because of more college age students? I found a couple of articles googling around that said Jackson State had a huge increase percentage wise as well in 2007. Is that thanks to Fogelsong too? Maybe Fogelsong is responsible for national increases as well?

The only thing Fogelsong did to increase enrollment was be president at a time when there were more freshmen entering college than ever.

topdawg.sixpack

Nov 25, 2007
When you are successful you get too much credit, and when your unsuccessful you get too much blame.

While Freshman numbers are up across the board, they have been way up at MSU. Im sure the new dorms, good looking campus, and new buildings play apart in that...But Doc also instituted the Mississippi Promise program, and got money from the Lucky Day Foundation....He put a ton of money into the office of admissions and scholarships to hire more recruiters, and he also went out and recruited. He went into people's homes and other almuni events and talked to the students. He went into high schools and recruited.

Freshman dont have to go to MSU, but alot were choosing to do so for many reasons.

Bigohh

Feb 23, 2008
President's, like quaterbacks, probably get more credit and blame than they deserve.

I will say this about the enrollment increase. The average ACT score went up from 23.3 to 23.6, while UM's went from 23.0 to 22.9. Also, I contacted Doc about several students who have alot of options. He personally called each one, and we got them all.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
Did he take credit for the sun rising every day over campus, too?

All that said, Doc is an enthusiastic, go-getter and I'm sorry he won't be around for at least another 2 years. Maybe he would have tackled the Polk issue, but then again, maybe he would have screwed with the LFL.

Happy Trails, Doc.

dawgball

Aug 29, 2006
FlabLoser wrote: _________________________________________________ We knew about his foundation early on and we on this board pointed out at that time that were were his plan B. And we weren't comfortable about it.

That said, the man absolutely has improved this university. I appreciate all those benchmarks he mentioned. He gave us a stiff shove in the right direction. Alas, reformers always take their lumps and don't last very long.

I hope the next guy can pick up where Doc left off. We need to keep the momentum going.

Couldn't agree more, but I'm calling ******** on this being his sole reason for leaving. <span>He certainly accomplished some notable goals, and likely ahead of schedule, but that's not why he left. There's more to it than that. The reasons he cited, including getting back to WV, just made the decision easier.

</span>
</p>

dawgball

Aug 29, 2006
If he accomplished all his goals in two years, I'd say he needed to make more goals.
Agreed. He was hired, and signed a contract to be the President of MSU for four years, not until he accomplished various tasks. And if he's accomplished his goals for MSU, I'll assume that includes his "long-term goal ... to be the most respected land-grant institution in the South."

In reality, his short term may have hurt the University as much as his "goals" helped it.
Strongly disagree here though. No way pissing off the art students and painting some daffodils java brown outweighs the positive changes made, particularly the firing LT.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
No way pissing off the art students and painting some daffodils java brown outweighs the positive changes made, particularly the firing LT.
I agree...but I'm not even referring to the daffodil crap. What I'm talking about is the time and effort it takes to conduct a search for University President. MSU is practically in limbo during the search process. Once a President is found, there are a **** load of growing pains to endure. Basically, I'm suggesting the time and productivity lost searching for Doc, and now searching for his replacement, could very well offset any major accomplishments.
to be the most respected land-grant institution in the South."
I'd say we're pretty much getting as much respect now, as we did before Doc moved in.

dawgball

Aug 29, 2006
Yeah I agree on all points about the search process and growing pains, but I just don't see the loss of time and productivity being substantial enough to outweigh the improvements made. And I guess I'm optimistically thinking that this search, as well as the growing pains, will be relatively small especially compared to the last hire.

I'd say we're pretty much getting as much respect now, as we did before Doc moved in.
That's basically what I'm saying. I was just pointing out one of Doc's goals (and the fact it was long-term) in response to his offering of early completion as his reason for resigning. Though I have no personal knowledge as to how we're perceived amongst land-grant institutions, I doubt you can gain "most respected" status in a two year span.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login