Bama v UGA

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Anyone besides me think Bama will beat UGA this weekend? Georgia’s best win is Tennessee. UGA’s offense failed to score a single TD against a pretty mediocre Clemson team. Saban and a proud Ala team with something to prove can be dangerous. Should be interesting to see.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Gumps just got beat up until the white meat was showing for 3.95 quarters and won and emotional 4 overtime game. They will be down to walk on running backs. I think and hope that for the love of anything that is holy and righteous left in college football, Georgia wins by 3 touchdowns.

That said, if Saban pulls this off I may be numb to the sport until the sumbitch retires.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nope. Bama is vulnerable this year and Georgia is simply the better team. They've played 4 common opponents. Bama won all 4 by a total of 39 points, 3 were close games decided by 7 or fewer points. UGA won all 4 by a total of 112 points, the closest being a pair of 24 point wins.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yes, but it's mainly just 'Alabama fear' or whatever, fatigue, and me not wanting Bama to be in the playoff (i.e. fresh teams, etc.). Logic says Georgia beats them soundly. Bama is beat up, and their OL isn't great. Recently struggled against 2 6-6 level teams. Georgia is fresh. Then the common opponents like patdog said.

The offense is a good question, but remember, Georgia is still #2 in FEI Offense. Not too shabby. And while the pressure is on Georgia, I do think they are hungry. This ain't 2017, where they are just happy to be there. I think this bunch is on a mission. I mean look at their games, these dudes aren't 17ing around, they haven't had that down/near-upset game.

Last edited:

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
Since 2009 (13 seasons), this will only be the 3rd time Alabama is the underdog. They won the first 2 games as the underdog by a combined 47 points. Take the 6.5.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This Georgia team feels different. I think this is finally their year.

They’ve gotten better as the year has gone on and haven’t had a performance like Clemson since Week 1. Bama probably should have gotten beaten about 3 times this year.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Was it 2009 when Bama had their sights set on beating UF? This feels similar to me, but Bama is the hunted this time.

I'm laying the points and taking the Bama team under.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Tennessee was a better win than Kentucky?

Georgia had a pretty high strength of schedule. Yes, Alabama's was higher, but they had one loss and several close games.

That mediocre Clemson team still has the second best scoring defense in the country.

I don't know what teams you've been watching this year, but Georgia hasn't slowed down one bit while Alabama has shown many signs of cracking. And it's not trouble getting motivated enough for some opponents.

Aug 22, 2012
I think the 17 Tennessee scored was the most points UGA has given up. There's dominant, and then there's that kind of dominant. Bryce Young better get his head on a swivel. UGA by 14 at least.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It means that you've never gotten a cut so deep that it just lays open and the inside doesn't bleed instantly (white meat). At least that was my interpretation after many stitches of varying depths and counts...

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
And 7 of that 17 was given up with 3 minutes left in a 41-10 ballgame.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
The thing is Bama thinks they are going to win every game they play. They will think that till they actually are down and the clock runs out. This should be UGA's year hands down, but funny things happen to teams playing Bama sometimes. I think Georgia wins, but I dang sure wouldn't want to have to bet my house in it. I'm looking forward to watching it for sure.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
Georgia's defense

I think the 17 Tennessee scored was the most points UGA has given up. There's dominant, and then there's that kind of dominant. Bryce Young better get his head on a swivel. UGA by 14 at least.

Best defense I've seen since 2011 Alabama.

In 10 games vs P5 they've given up less than 4 yards per play. In the last 12 years (vs BCS AQ pre-2014) only 3 teams have done that.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Emma’s Dad;1995071 said:
Anyone besides me think Bama will beat UGA this weekend? Georgia’s best win is Tennessee. UGA’s offense failed to score a single TD against a pretty mediocre Clemson team. Saban and a proud Ala team with something to prove can be dangerous. Should be interesting to see.

They both have a top5 SOS. Sure, they didnt dominate Clemson in the first game of the season, but after that they never won by less than 17 points.
Bama limped its way into this over the last 4 weeks by beating LSU by only 6, Arkansas by only 7, and needing multiple OTs to eek by Auburn. Its not like Bama is coming into this having dominated recent competition.

I could easily see it being close since even though Bama has been vulnerable, they are still an incredible team this season. But based on just comparing each season to date, UGA is who I would put money on.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

I think UGA’s only chance is if they blow them out. If it’s close, Kirby will get the sphincter tightening he always experiences in close games (especially against Saban), and he’ll pull something exceptionally stupid out of his *** like he did with that fake punt a few years ago. That still may be the worst in-game call by a head coach that I’ve ever seen in any sport.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
They both have a top5 SOS.

I asked someone this yesterday - where are you guys getting this? Georgia does not have a top 5 sos and neither does bama. Georgia isn't even top 50 by most sites.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I asked someone this yesterday - where are you guys getting this? Georgia does not have a top 5 sos and neither does bama. Georgia isn't even top 50 by most sites.
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

has em at 44 though. http://powerrankingsguru.com/college-football/strength-of-schedule.php
has em at 54. https://www.warrennolan.com/football/2021/sos-elo
has em at 51. http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm
has em at 49. https://masseyratings.com/cf/fbs/ratings

this has em atop the FPI, for whatever that is worth. https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

Well hell- that is a good call-out. I went off the first site from googling 'cfb sos'. UGA's sos is clearly lower than what the first site claims.

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
What's really kind of amazing is the fact that had Saban stayed at Michigan State the Big Ten would have become what the SEC is today. Had he stayed at LSU then LSU would be what Alabama is today. I cannot really express my pure hatred for alabama based completely on their fanbase, but Nick Saban is and will be the greatest football coach who ever lived. I knew they would beat Georgia and so did Kirby Smart. You could see the fear in his eyes before the game and he was fielding what was on track to be the best college football team ever. Georgia seemed unbeatable but Saban created at culture at Alabama that never, ever expects to lose and they play that way. Kirby Smart is a great coach but he is also yet another in a long line of coaches drafted from Alabama each year who coached under Saban. They're everywhere now and all successful, but none of them will ever beat him. I'm sorry I watched the SECCG and was in total awe of what this man has accomplished. The Georgia we'd seen all season was somewhere else. I wondered if that game reminded anyone else of another game a few years back. Dak's last year we had our chance to beat him. Ranked number one and legitimately so because that was one hell of a team. When the game started I could already see the difference in Mullen and the team because they did not have that look of confidence that had been present all year long. They had that look of "if we can only not lose." And in that one game Saban managed to take away every bit of confidence they had built up all season long and finished the season just as every other MSU team did. The sad part was MSU was the better team that day and had proved it to everyone but themselves and it was evident it was going to be a crappy day. I suspect Michigan will play a demoralized Georgia team then go on to lose to Alabama. In the meantime the powers that be at Georgia are calculating how much longer Saban will coach vs whether they should fire Smart now or not because they know they'll never beat him. If this time couldn't do it, none will.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
What's really kind of amazing is the fact that had Saban stayed at Michigan State the Big Ten would have become what the SEC is today. Had he stayed at LSU then LSU would be what Alabama is today. I cannot really express my pure hatred for alabama based completely on their fanbase, but Nick Saban is and will be the greatest football coach who ever lived. I knew they would beat Georgia and so did Kirby Smart. You could see the fear in his eyes before the game and he was fielding what was on track to be the best college football team ever. Georgia seemed unbeatable but Saban created at culture at Alabama that never, ever expects to lose and they play that way. Kirby Smart is a great coach but he is also yet another in a long line of coaches drafted from Alabama each year who coached under Saban. They're everywhere now and all successful, but none of them will ever beat him. I'm sorry I watched the SECCG and was in total awe of what this man has accomplished. The Georgia we'd seen all season was somewhere else. I wondered if that game reminded anyone else of another game a few years back. Dak's last year we had our chance to beat him. Ranked number one and legitimately so because that was one hell of a team. When the game started I could already see the difference in Mullen and the team because they did not have that look of confidence that had been present all year long. They had that look of "if we can only not lose." And in that one game Saban managed to take away every bit of confidence they had built up all season long and finished the season just as every other MSU team did. The sad part was MSU was the better team that day and had proved it to everyone but themselves and it was evident it was going to be a crappy day. I suspect Michigan will play a demoralized Georgia team then go on to lose to Alabama. In the meantime the powers that be at Georgia are calculating how much longer Saban will coach vs whether they should fire Smart now or not because they know they'll never beat him. If this time couldn't do it, none will.

Mullens best chance to beat Bama is when he was up by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter in Starkville. That choke was inexplicable. The game where we were number one, Dan was just not up for the moment and did not have the team ready either.

But you've hit on something interesting. Saban's former minions probably recognize the greatness of the Great Satan. And as a result can't view themselves as anything other than frauds and wannabees. Makes it tough to compete.

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017

I have to politely disagree....

I'm not so sure that Saban would have built the Big Ten into the SEC, had he stayed at Michigan State. He would have certainly made them better.

LSU and Alabama are loaded with cash & resources, football-crazy, and are top programs in the Southeast. Saban parlayed his success at Michigan State to leverage a job at the top programs. Michigan State is Michigan's little brother. I am sure that Michigan would have done what was necessary to keep MSU down and Nick would have had to expend energy to fight this off...

Also keep in mind that Jimbo Fisher was an assistant under Saban at LSU. Jimbo beat Sabin's *** this year, and it wasn't at golf.

Lastly, I don't believe that Michigan will beat UGA. UGA is pretty pissed and wants another shot at Alabama. My bet is that UGA beats Michigan by 10-14 points, and the Bama rematch will be pretty damned close. Bryce Young surprised GA with his passing accuracy and elusiveness. UGA will have to scheme to put him on his *** in the rematch.

UGA travels VERY well. Because my kids graduated from UGA, I go to a lot of their games. At Notre Dame had 70% UGA fans in South Bend. At the Rose Bowl was 70% UGA fans versus OU fans. The SECCG had 75% UGA fans, but Bama took the crowd out of the game.

Michigan lost to Michigan State on the road. The Orange bowl will not be a neutral site for Michigan.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The SEC made an additional 8 figures by Bama beating Georgia and having 2 teams in the CFP.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No they didn't. Most of the playoff money is fixed between the conferences. SEC only gets $2,000,000 more by having 2 teams in it. Divide that by 15, and that's only an additional $133,333 for each school.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login