Barbay to Houston...

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Houston (the city and thus the namesake university) is the armpit of America... Good landing spot for Barbay. They deserve each other.

Reactions: dorndawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Could it be that Barbay was put in an impossible position to succeed here? I won’t be surprised if he does well with a roster that wasn’t groomed for 3 years to run a completely different scheme.
Yea, if he has an excellent offensive line and doesn't play against SEC defenses he'll be able to run the ball up the gut every 1st and 2nd down like he did here.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You're a very gracious person.
I mean, he wasn't being ****** to spite us. He never should have been hired to begin with. He really didn't have the resume so it was a big leap of faith already. And then he was put in a situation where we had personnel to run an air-raid concept and whatever his system is (I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be after a year at MSU and he was basically implementing other coaches' systems as CMU and App St) is not air raid.

A really good coach would have probably struggled if they insisted on moving away from the air raid. Barbay is obviously not a good coach, at least not yet, but he may not be as atrocious as he looked either.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I mean, he wasn't being ****** to spite us. He never should have been hired to begin with. He really didn't have the resume so it was a big leap of faith already. And then he was put in a situation where we had personnel to run an air-raid concept and whatever his system is (I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be after a year at MSU and he was basically implementing other coaches' systems as CMU and App St) is not air raid.

A really good coach would have probably struggled if they insisted on moving away from the air raid. Barbay is obviously not a good coach, at least not yet, but he may not be as atrocious as he looked either.
A really good coach knows how to assess his talent and migrate his team to his offensive play book. He tried to brute force it for whatever reason (Arnett influence or his ignorance) and we saw the results. I think there is s lot more background information about this past coaching staff that we aren't privy to.
Win or lose next season won't prove anything because he will not be coaching a lower tier team in the 16 team SEC. Apples and oranges I'm afraid.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
A really good coach knows how to assess his talent and migrate his team to his offensive play book. He tried to brute force it for whatever reason (Arnett influence or his ignorance) and we saw the results. I think there is s lot more background information about this past coaching staff that we aren't privy to.
Win or lose next season won't prove anything because he will not be coaching a lower tier team in the 16 team SEC. Apples and oranges I'm afraid.

Well, Barbay is not a really good coach. At least not right now. We would have at least shown improvement if he were and we would know what the end goal is going to be.

But, it's also not really true that really good coaches change their system to match their personnel. Most really good coaches, particularly offensive coordinators, run their system hell or high water and all they can do is try to adjust the plays they install and call to help. Leach is a good coach and basically took the position that any short term gain from modifying the air raid to match his personnel would just delay them from being able to implement it well. Mullen tweaked his playcalling for Tyler Russell and Chris Leak, and basically just ran a less effective version of his offense, although having stellar skill position talent allowed the Chris Leak offense to work fine, and having Tebow to handle short yardage allowed it to run basically at peak level.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
A lot of the you continue to fail to see that switching to/from the Air Raid is not a 1 offseason thing. When the roster is totally geared towards this unique thing - and you stop doing this unique thing, you need to overhaul the roster to get to the new thing. And that overhaul is a multi season roster changeout. Couple this fact with the notion that we had a coaching staff almost entirely made up of “first time in that position”…. It was a ****** recipe from the start.

Barbay wasn’t the next Dan Mullen or anything, but he was dealt a really difficult hand to play.

Reactions: Jacknut

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Could it be that Barbay was put in an impossible position to succeed here? I won’t be surprised if he does well with a roster that wasn’t groomed for 3 years to run a completely different scheme.
Of course. Not to mention the biggest problem on offense was Arnett.

Barbay will be just fine at Houston.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Well, Barbay is not a really good coach. At least not right now. We would have at least shown improvement if he were and we would know what the end goal is going to be.

But, it's also not really true that really good coaches change their system to match their personnel. Most really good coaches, particularly offensive coordinators, run their system hell or high water and all they can do is try to adjust the plays they install and call to help. Leach is a good coach and basically took the position that any short term gain from modifying the air raid to match his personnel would just delay them from being able to implement it well. Mullen tweaked his playcalling for Tyler Russell and Chris Leak, and basically just ran a less effective version of his offense, although having stellar skill position talent allowed the Chris Leak offense to work fine, and having Tebow to handle short yardage allowed it to run basically at peak level.
Barbay had passing plays to RB, WR and TE in his play book. A team that is used to passing 7/8ths of the time could have leaned on those during some 1st and 2nd downs instead of pounding the ball up the middle. I wasn't suggesting that he alter his play book. I was suggesting he alter his play calling with the talent he inherited. I didn't see that while he was here.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Fritz would have had the shortest coaching career at State had he announced Barbay as his OC here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login