Barstool

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
I was not. They both took Arizona State to cover so I wanted them to lose every damn nickel last night.
Same. And I will also add that since the arena was empty and a lot of the fans there were also watching the broadcast, they had an impact on the game. I guarantee Frankie heard them every time they yelled shoot it. Just unprofessional on so many levels. Still seems more like an exhibition than a real game to me.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Considering Penn sold Barstool, I would wager that is the last we see of the Barstool Invitational. Something that was set up when Penn was still in control. Same with the bowl game they sponsor.

Reactions: Dawgg

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Same. And I will also add that since the arena was empty and a lot of the fans there were also watching the broadcast, they had an impact on the game. I guarantee Frankie heard them every time they yelled shoot it. Just unprofessional on so many levels. Still seems more like an exhibition than a real game to me.
Unprofessional? its all about the joke that they really aren't professional and don't try to be professional like ESPN and other sports media. That's the whole point of barstool getting involved in events like this. In case you haven't noticed, Dave Portnoy has a HUGE fanbase who sees him as a culture warrior who stands up for free speech and anti-PC/cancel culture type of things. People see barstool as the last major entertainment-sports media outlet "fighting the good fight" if that makes sense. Loyalty like that has made him very wealthy and barstool a MAJOR player with the under 40 crowd.

So, professionalism isn't their goal.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Unprofessional? its all about the joke that they really aren't professional and don't try to be professional like ESPN and other sports media. That's the whole point of barstool getting involved in events like this. In case you haven't noticed, Dave Portnoy has a HUGE fanbase who sees him as a culture warrior who stands up for free speech and anti-PC/cancel culture type of things. People see barstool as the last major entertainment-sports media outlet "fighting the good fight" if that makes sense. Loyalty like that has made him very wealthy and barstool a MAJOR player with the under 40 crowd.

I can handle an unprofessional broadcast, but not one that affects the actual game.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I can handle an unprofessional broadcast, but not one that affects the actual game.
Just curious, how did it affect the game? Do college basketball players not routinely get yellow at to shoot threes from the crowd? Don't get me wrong, Dave has a serious gambling problem that impacted his broadcasting abilities in the second half, but in no way impacted the game.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Just curious, how did it affect the game? Do college basketball players not routinely get yellow at to shoot threes from the crowd? Don't get me wrong, Dave has a serious gambling problem that impacted his broadcasting abilities in the second half, but in no way impacted the game.
The difference is that it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Then someone starts yelling shoot it Frankie. It's like talking during a backswing in golf.

Reactions: Dawgg

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
The difference is that it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Then someone starts yelling shoot it Frankie. It's like talking during a backswing in golf.
It is nothing like talking during a backswing in golf. These guys play with loud noises during their shots all the time. And just because they are saying it form their broadcast booth doesn't mean the entire gym hears them, or that they can be differentiated form anyone else in the crowd

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Not by the person running the event. I can't recall a situation where a promoter of an event while sitting at the play by play desk took his headphones off and yelled at a specific player to perform a specific act so that the promoter could win a bet he placed.

It didn't affect the game because Collins didn't take the bait and start jacking up 3's, but if he had, then I feel like that's a bad thing all around.

Reactions: ckDOG

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Not by the person running the event. I can't recall a situation where a promoter of an event while sitting at the play by play desk took his headphones off and yelled at a specific player to perform a specific act so that the promoter could win a bet he placed.

It didn't affect the game because Collins didn't take the bait and start jacking up 3's, but if he had, then I feel like that's a bad thing all around.
If any coach thought that one of their player's was succumbing to the influence of someone in the stands telling them what to do, they would be immediately benched without question. And would probably take a while to earn back the coach's trust.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
If any coach thought that one of their player's was succumbing to the influence of someone in the stands telling them what to do, they would be immediately benched without question. And would probably take a while to earn back the coach's trust.
I do not understand how this is so hard for someone to wrap their head around

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That's true, but doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

There's another thread with multiple pages of posts about how big and influential Barstool is with the under 25 crowd. If the president of this big and influential with the under 25 crowd entertainment company, while running a sporting event for that company, is from the sideline telling an under 25 player to shoot a 3 because it benefits him financially and that player gets caught up in the heat and energy of the moment (or in a chase for Barstool/Portnoy shout-outs) and goes against his coach's wishes and puts up a 3, then I feel like that's a big problem.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
That's true, but doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

There's another thread with multiple pages of posts about how big and influential Barstool is with the under 25 crowd. If the president of this big and influential with the under 25 crowd entertainment company, while running a sporting event for that company, is from the sideline telling an under 25 player to shoot a 3 because it benefits him financially and that player gets caught up in the heat and energy of the moment (or in a chase for Barstool/Portnoy shout-outs) and goes against his coach's wishes and puts up a 3, then I feel like that's a big problem.
Again, if they were to do so they would be benched.

On top of that, we are talking two games per year. It isn't like Barstool is hosting weekly tournaments

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Again, if they were to do so they would be benched.

On top of that, we are talking two games per year. It isn't like Barstool is hosting weekly tournaments
So? They're benched. Who cares? The damage is already done.
I don't care about the frequency. One non-exhibition game is enough for it to be a problem.

Sure, Barstool may be getting out of sporting event promotion, but how about the next company or the next company? Sports gambling is a growing business and more and more of these gambling/entertainment conglomerates are going to spring up.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
I'm a fan of that style of broadcast, but Dave is annoying. If it was Big Cat and PMT or BFW, I would have been fine with it. As it was, I muted it and synced Neil and Coach on my phone.

Clearly Dave is business smart and I respect what he's done, I just find his personal content pretty unbearable.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Again, it isn’t impacting the game. At all
Shawshank Redemption GIF

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012

Like, I get it, but why they can't at least be funny?

Or have some sort of redeeming quality beyond "I"m nOt LikE oThER SpOrTS cOVeRaGE"

Professional sports coverage has gone downhill, but the obvious solution shouldn't be to purposefully dive into the dumpster w TotalFratMove Sports and Pat McAfee and then call it quality.

Sadly, quality does not often garner success in sports journalism these days

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Just curious, how did it affect the game? Do college basketball players not routinely get yelled at to shoot threes from the crowd? Don't get me wrong, Dave has a serious gambling problem that impacted his broadcasting abilities in the second half, but in no way impacted the game.
Yelled to jack it up every single time by officials and announcers or commentators? Not that I can recall ever, no.

But that's part of the experience. Hope the players enjoyed it

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
So? They're benched. Who cares? The damage is already done.
I don't care about the frequency. One non-exhibition game is enough for it to be a problem.

Sure, Barstool may be getting out of sporting event promotion, but how about the next company or the next company? Sports gambling is a growing business and more and more of these gambling/entertainment conglomerates are going to spring up.
Players can be influenced by countless factors. It could be their dad telling them to shoot more 3s, or their brother saying to take more shots downfield. There's nothing that can be done about outside influences potentially affecting a player's decision making.

In the heat of the game, I highly doubt that while dribbling up the court the ASU player 1. Even heard what he was saying. 2. Could process "Oh damn, El Pres has money on me to make 3's, better start pulling up".

If there were any concern about Portnoy's influence on competition due to his gambling, he would immediately be investigated. I don't think him essentially yelling "PULL IT" from the sideline falls in that category.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login