Baseball and “Swagger” - Would you rather…

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Atotal360’s post on swagger in baseball got me thinking.

Would you rather:

A. Be where we are right now in baseball, with a team that’s just not very good.

or

B. Be a team like Tennessee, with a team full of Kenny Powers wannabes from the head coach down, flipping off opposing outfielders as you round the bases, getting ejections, suspensions, acting as if they’re on a constant ‘roid rage… But winning ballgames.

I think younger me would have chosen B, but older me would just turn it off completely and stop following if we became that. I may feel differently if we didn’t have a natty in our back pocket from a couple of years ago. Who knows.

But for now I’m definitely A.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I'm in favor of A. Embracing the understated confidence of Johnny Cash or Burl Ives will do wonders for winning over Gen Z.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I'm in favor of A. Embracing the understated confidence of Johnny Cash or Burl Ives will do wonders for winning over Gen Z.
Binary choice. Be them or suck. No "be good but then try to change our behavior."

I'd be fine with all the swagger of 2021 MSU. Or 2022 Ole Miss. Or the "Vandyboys," whatever that is. Or really any other team in the history of college baseball. I imagine Tennessee to be the college baseball equivalent of a Limp Bizkit concert.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Binary choice. Be them or suck. No "be good but then try to change our behavior."

I'd be fine with all the swagger of 2021 MSU. Or 2022 Ole Miss. Or the "Vandyboys," whatever that is. Or really any other team in the history of college baseball. I imagine Tennessee to be the college baseball equivalent of a Limp Bizkit concert.
Well, my answer was binary but had recommended approaches to make it less terrible down the road, but if we’re talking about this as a cross-section in time without any past or future considerations I would 100% go with winning. Even if it got to the point of not watching and checking the box scores, that’d be an improvement. But I still think I’d watch

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Neither. I want what we had for 1979 - 1990, 1997 - 2001, and 2011 - 2021. That's not unreasonable.
I think you can leave out the 1997-2001. As fun as it was to win in some of those years, I think those teams underachieved, at least 1997 and 1998. Incredibly talented though, but it was basically all that one class. And I didn't enjoy the McMahon Era at all. I thought those teams were weak. 2007 was a high talent team too, in a few places. But still, toughness wasn't the culture then and wasn't from 1991-2008.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you can leave out the 1997-2001. As fun as it was to win in some of those years, I think those teams underachieved, at least 1997 and 1998. Incredibly talented though, but it was basically all that one class. And I didn't enjoy the McMahon Era at all. I thought those teams were weak. 2007 was a high talent team too, in a few places. But still, toughness wasn't the culture then and wasn't from 1991-2008.
2 CWS, and 2 more super regionals, plus 1 regional in 5 years. No matter how you look at it, that's pretty good.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
2 CWS, and 2 more super regionals, plus 1 regional in 5 years. No matter how you look at it, that's pretty good.
We are talking about swagger, and however you define that. You can have a good team, results wise, without things like that.

I would argue that LSU and Alabama had both that year, while we only had talent. We weren't a true contender any of those years, just had success in spurts.

Aug 28, 2018

Would you rather:

A. Be where we are right now in baseball, with a team that’s just not very good.

or

B. Be a team like Tennessee, with a team full of Kenny Powers wannabes from the head coach down, flipping off opposing outfielders as you round the bases, getting ejections, suspensions, acting as if they’re on a constant ‘roid rage… But winning ballgames.

I think younger me would have chosen B, but older me would just turn it off completely and stop following if we became that. I may feel differently if we didn’t have a natty in our back pocket from a couple of years ago. Who knows.

Have the team mindset of B, without the blatant and obnoxious presentations. You want a team with that same dawg in them. Unfortunately, I don't see that with this current team, on the mound specifically.
Baseball is mostly mental. We have talent on this team, we just don't have that dawg that just wants to eat.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
We

Would you rather:

or

We're actually at A.5. We aren't very good but we still wave and shake our *** at second base no matter the game situation when we get a double like we just got the game clinching hit in game 7 of the World Series.

• Haha
Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

Would you rather:

or

Give me a team that fights for each other, plays the game intensely with aggression, and attacks in all facets

the only person sitting down when you’re hitting is the pitcher, everyone else at the top of the steps

you can create a loud energy without ever acknowledging the other dugout

1. attacks pitches at the plate (and by god stops fist bumping the chest with 2 strikes)
2. Puts pressure on the defense
3. attacks the zone using each pitcher’s strengths (if they are sinker ball pitchers, why are they attacking the top of the zone - last I heard ground balls are a good thing)
4. Fight each game until the last out is recorded

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'd Rather not Have the Diamond Dogs and Sports God Having Their Way With My Arse Righta 'Bout Now. Not sure I can put it any simplier than that.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

Would you rather:

or

Tennessee lost a bit of swagger this past weekend. Mizzou didn't only beat them, but stomped them. You don't have to have swagger to win. Just need the confidence you can play the game. I don't like flipping bats on HRs, flipping the opposing team or fans off, nor some kind of weird moves like you're having a seizure after a double or triple.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008

Would you rather:

or

I’d much rather be winning, even if we look like a-holes.
Luckily it’s not a binary choice. We can win at a high level without the nonsense.

Reactions: aTotal360

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

Would you rather:

or

Would I rather suck *** or be good? Umm, I’d rather be good

This holier than thou schtick ain’t it man

Reactions: aTotal360

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

Would you rather:

or

Animated GIF

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
2007 wasn’t that talented.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
This team is to worried about making commercials and their walk up tunes. I say cut that music bull **** out and maybe that will motivate this team. We need a leadership badly.

Attachments

• 1679555845801.png
    1679555845801.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login