baseball and scholarships

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
Let me preface this by saying, I understand Polk's crusade against the NCAA and admire him for it. However, I have to wonder why more coaches are not on the bandwagon and as vocal with their opinion about the NCAA's limit on baseball scholarships.

I think it is because other coaches have decided to just work around it rather than fight it. I am not so naive, and I doubt Polk is either, to think every baseball player around the country is paying the remaining portion of his tuition himself. Sure, someone needs to continue to fight the system because it is never healthy to have a sport handcuffed so much it has to circumvent the system. However, I would be willing to bet that baseball coaches are not going around telling prospects that they have 26% of a scholarship (Polk's 11.7/43 players) to offer. They are telling them come to my school and we will take care of your tuition and books one way or another. I hope the next coach will take this approach. I am not saying the new coach should openly commit rules violations. However, don't go into the home of a prospect and ***** about the NCAA and how you can only offer 26% of a scholarship. These other schools are finding a way. Whether it be academic, football, or a state sponsored scholarship.

Anyway, my point is Polk's downfall seemed to be talent. He lost the talent edge by throwing up his hands because of the NCAA rules. Meanwhile, other coaches seem to be working around it signing solid pitching staffs and hitters. I don't believe for one minute that a coach (not talking about anyone in specific) with 8 solid positions and 4 solid pitchers is leaving those 12 players to fend for themselves to pay tuition and told them that during the recruiting process.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login