Baseball coach contracts

patdog

May 28, 2007
What do you do if you're Selmon? Firing Lemonis isn't an option. What I would do:

Extend Lemonis for 1 year. No raise, no change to buyout.
Extend Parker for 1 year with a raise.
Gotro & Cheese - No extension or raise. Let Lemonis know that if he chooses to let either go, money will be available for replacements.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
What do you do if you're Selmon? Firing Lemonis isn't an option. What I would do:

Gotro & Cheese - No extension or raise. Let Lemonis know that if he chooses to let either go, money will be available for replacements.
Just to be clear, when you say Lemonis no change to buyout?
1. The buyout stays same percent again the next year?
2. The total sum of buyout continues to decrease at same rate as now but the next year's salary isn't added back (ie, it stays x% for next 3 years, not next 4 years).

Option 2 I could accept.
Option 1 makes no sense if there isn't good confidence he is the long term answer.

Now my opinion also carries as much weight as a chihuahua in a pit bull fight.

Reactions: 17itdawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Extend Lemonis out to 4 years, with minimal or no change to current buyout. Marginal annual salary increase and marginal buyout increase are mutually exclusive. Can’t do anything big on both of these. But we cannot have a coach tied to anything less than that and expect to be successful in recruiting and getting high level commitments from kids who are freshmen and sophomores in high school, which is what you have to be able to do in college baseball. Would be a death knell for us 5 years down the road, no matter how 2025 plays out.

patdog

May 28, 2007
2. The total sum of buyout continues to decrease at same rate as now but the next year's salary isn't added back (ie, it stays x% for next 3 years, not next 4 years).

Option 2 I could accept.
Option 1 makes no sense if there isn't good confidence he is the long term answer.

Now my opinion also carries as much weight as a chiwawa in a pit bull fight.
I'm thinking he gets same buyout if we fire him next year he would get if we fired him today. Basically, last year was a wash and he's got the same contract today he had 1 year ago.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Gotro has got to GO!!!
He should’ve sac bunted A LOT this year.
(2 times during our FINALLY game of the yr could’ve been HUGE!)
Actually, 3-4 guys could've bunted for straight hits every game.
Why are we so afraid of playing small ball at times?? It’s a great part of baseball that is way under utilized.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

Option 2 I could accept.

Now my opinion also carries as much weight as a chihuahua in a pit bull fight.
We don't have to know about the buyout but publicly you can say Lemonis will be here for 4 more years for recruiting. Not that a coach's tenure really matters anymore with NIL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Kids don’t care about the coach anymore. They commit to the university.

I would make sure Parker is the highest paid assistant on staff and if wanted a longer contract I’d give it to him.

Lemo- if I extended it would be at a lesser price than it is currently. He would not get a raise and I honestly don’t see a reason to extend. Again kids don’t care

Cheese and Geau- same as Lemonis. I would honor their as is contracts. If they wanted an extension it would be at my benefit… less pay better buy out options, etc.

Cliff notes/ I’d make Parker highest paid assistant and extend st that price if he wanted

The rest- I would not extent. If I did extend it would be in a way that benefits me. Either with buyout or salary.

again the whole he can’t recruit thing isn’t true and has no bearing on things. We went thru 4 coaches in a short period of time and didn’t lose any players over it

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Gotro has got to GO!!!
Why are we so afraid of playing small ball at times?? It’s a great part of baseball that is way under utilized.
Well, we discovered Cohen's SPS account.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Gotro has got to GO!!!
It's under utilized for a reason. It's a poor play. Even if the sacrifice works, it rarely makes a significant change in your chances of scoring a run or your expected runs. And the success rate is way too low to justify it. You wind up in an 0-2 or 1-2 count about as often as you successfully execute a sacrifice.

Reactions: jdbulldog and Dawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Gotro has got to GO!!!
You assume they know how to bunt (I'm being serious)? How much bunt practice do you think travel ball heroes get before they get here and how much do they work on it here? It doesn't look like much at all to me

Reactions: patdog and Dawgg

kired

Aug 22, 2008

Does Cheese make enough to worry with it? He wasn't even officially an assistant until last year when they ruled you could have 3 assistants. I assume gotro & parker make a lot more.

If we're dissatisfied with cheese... I guess you get what you pay for.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Kids don’t care about the coach anymore. They commit to the university.

That’s bold assumption to make when there is no downside at all to at least giving the appearance of stability. Its also not only the kids who have to care. If a coach is on the last year of his deal, and doesn’t get offered an extension within a reasonable timeframe for recruiting following a Top 25 finish after 2 horrible years, how much effort is he really going to put into it? Same applies to the rest of the staff. How much effort are Parker / Gautreau going to put in on the recruiting trail if its a lame duck situation all the way around? By default, you can’t have a longer deal in place for assistants than you do for the HC. If Parker was on a 2-year deal heading into 2024, there’s no point in extending him but not Lemonis. It’d be pointless.

I would make sure Parker is the highest paid assistant on staff and if wanted a longer contract I’d give it to him.
Pretty sure that’s already the case on the salary. But again, you can’t have assistants with a longer deal than the HC.

Lemo- if I extended it would be at a lesser price than it is currently. He would not get a raise and I honestly don’t see a reason to extend. Again kids don’t care

Doubt that would fly, but a straight carryover of the current salary (or very minor increase) would still practically be a decrease when considering inflation since 2021, yet still give the appearance of stability and confidence in the staff.

Cheese and Geau- same as Lemonis. I would honor their as is contracts. If they wanted an extension it would be at my benefit… less pay better buy out options, etc.
Not so opinionated on this one. I suppose I’m kind of ready for Geatreau to move on, if for no other reason just because it seems he might have hit a complacency wall (or missed it twice before trying to hit it, and then beat his chest before the next attempt). Also would like to see if Lemonis can go out and make another high-level assistant hire like he did with Parker. If we see that lightning can strike twice there, I think it restores a lot of faith on his ability as a long term program CEO. It’s important to remember that Geatreau was an inherited asset, not a handpicked one.

again the whole he can’t recruit thing isn’t true and has no bearing on things. We went thru 4 coaches in a short period of time and didn’t lose any players over it
Not worried about losing anyone who is already committed. I’m worried about losing essentially a whole class of guys that are close to committing or expressing some interest, but don’t know the situation with the staff, and don’t have a staff that’s motivated to engage them to pull the trigger. Or even worse and perhaps more likely, a staff that is highly motivated to build quality relationships with the elite kids, and bring them to whereever they will be in 2026 and beyond….with no back-up plan for MSU if the coaches themselves are not retained.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That’s bold assumption to make when there is no downside at all to at least giving the appearance of stability. Its also not only the kids who have to care. If a coach is on the last year of his deal, and doesn’t get offered an extension within a reasonable timeframe for recruiting following a Top 25 finish after 2 horrible years, how much effort is he really going to put into it? Same applies to the rest of the staff. How much effort are Parker / Gautreau going to put in on the recruiting trail if its a lame duck situation all the way around? By default, you can’t have a longer deal in place for assistants than you do for the HC. If Parker was on a 2-year deal heading into 2024, there’s no point in extending him but not Lemonis. It’d be pointless.

Pretty sure that’s already the case on the salary. But again, you can’t have assistants with a longer deal than the HC.

Doubt that would fly, but a straight carryover of the current salary (or very minor increase) would still practically be a decrease when considering inflation since 2021, yet still give the appearance of stability and confidence in the staff.

Not so opinionated on this one. I suppose I’m kind of ready for Geatreau to move on, if for no other reason just because it seems he might have hit a complacency wall (or missed it twice before trying to hit it, and then beat his chest before the next attempt). Also would like to see if Lemonis can go out and make another high-level assistant hire like he did with Parker. If we see that lightning can strike twice there, I think it restores a lot of faith on his ability as a long term program CEO. It’s important to remember that Geatreau was an inherited asset, not a handpicked one.

Not worried about losing anyone who is already committed. I’m worried about losing essentially a whole class of guys that are close to committing or expressing some interest, but don’t know the situation with the staff, and don’t have a staff that’s motivated to engage them to pull the trigger. Or even worse and perhaps more likely, a staff that is highly motivated to build quality relationships with the elite kids, and bring them to whereever they will be in 2026 and beyond….with no back-up plan for MSU if the coaches themselves are not retained.
The downside to giving the appearance of stability is money. But the entire lemo and staff may not try as hard I don’t buy. If this is a dream job then it may very well light a fire under his *** to go get those players and beat the pavement harder than ever before, to keep this job. Extending is just kicking the can down the road

if that wouldn’t fly then I wouldn’t extend him. He hasn’t earned a raise, im not going to give it to him. if he’s extended he’s extended on my terms. He hasn’t earned an extension otherwise. So if I can’t get a buyout down or a price that makes more sense for me.. I’m not extending.. and I think that’s fair. We can’t make a habit out of increasing salaries for what he’s done over the past 3 seasons. He got his salary jump for the natty, when he earns the next one I’ll happily give but not until then

Think coming into th season geau was the highest paid assistant. Hopefully that changes now

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

I say this with the assumption that Lemo and company have 2 years left

if this is indeed his last season on his contract

then I add one year to his current contract as is.. no raiS
I add one year to Parker and make him highest paid assistant

and id leave up to Lemonis whether he wanted to extend to geau and cheese but neither would see raises

nothing more is warranted than that.. and that in no way should effect recruiting. If Lemo doesn’t think geau and cheese can recruit on a 1 year deal it’s on him to replace

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
You have to extend. In the end it doesnt matter as we will have to buy him out anyway. But no extension shows no confidence and leaves unsureness amongst recruits.
Give Parker the whatever it takes.
Gautreau - i dont think you can get Lemo to replace him but by God man....
Cheese - who tf knows what he does?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Do nothing. With the Portal the way it is don't matter if a coach has a long-term contract. The kid knows he can leave at any time regardless of if the coach stays or not. Get Miss state out of the jam if we have to fire him.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007

Lem will give maximum effort whatever the circumstances….

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'd treat coaches the same as an NIL situation with a player. If they're a top performer, they get rewarded with more. If not, don't do it for the sake of running it back. Lemonis hasn't done a lot these last three years so I wouldn't have him in the top pay rate for coaches and I wouldn't give him a big buyout. If he doesn't like it, he can haul *** and we can hire an average coach like him anywhere. But we'll extend him with limited raise and buyout will be the big question. That's where Selmon earns his pay. Going to be a lot of "standing pat" in these non-revenue sports I imagine.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
You assume they know how to bunt (I'm being serious)? How much bunt practice do you think travel ball heroes get before they get here and how much do they work on it here? It doesn't look like much at all to me
Bunting was practiced a lot here actually. Surprised it wasn't used more in games.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login